[comp.sys.apple] Apple support for the II line

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/04/90)

In article <1990Feb3.174919.11489@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>Where are you people coming up with all this trash that the IIgs is dead?

Regardless of hardware sales volume, I suspect that the feeling is
reinforced when the IIGS owner enters a typical software store (say,
Electronics Boutique, Babbages, or EggHead) and, after passing through
the front90% of the store containing nothing but IBM PC software,
finally reaches the "off-brand" corner, to find one 4-foot wide shelf
section containing Apple II software, only two shelves holding IIGS
software, virtually all of which he had already purchased more than a
year ago.  By the way, the Macintosh selection is often not much better.

Apart from several items that I had to obtain directly from the
publishers via mail order, I find almost no interesting new software
for sale for the Apple II line (IIGS in particular).  On the other
hand, there has been a LOT of it for the IBM PC line.  What is Apple
doing to encourage software development for the II line?  Judging by
published comments of people in the software industry, apparently not
enough to matter.

Perhaps there is a fundamentla problem in the software distribution
system, such that all the wonderful IIGS software simply isn't showing
up in stores?

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/04/90)

We know of the wonderful Apple Marketing people who've done so much for the
II.  Fortunately, they're gone now.  Maybe we'll see the II get pushed some
more.  The ROM 04 GS sounds like it'll be a killer machine.  Now that Apple
has woken up, maybe we'll see some active marketing for the II, instead of
just some fine print at the bottom of a brochure that says, "take a Mac for
free until the New Year!"

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
          free0066@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu  \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (02/05/90)

In article <12080@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1990Feb3.174919.11489@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu (Rick Fincher) writes:
>>Where are you people coming up with all this trash that the IIgs is dead?
>
>Regardless of hardware sales volume, I suspect that the feeling is
>reinforced when the IIGS owner enters a typical software store (say,
>Electronics Boutique, Babbages, or EggHead) and, after passing through
>the front90% of the store containing nothing but IBM PC software,

90% of which is trash,  What interesting new programs for the IBM have
come out recently?  Except for games, I can't think of any.  If you want
a great selection of games get a ninetendo system.  The software market is
a reflection of number of machines in the field.  There are over 10 million
PC's and clones in field so it's a safe bet to develop for, particularly games.

stuff deleted

>Perhaps there is a fundamentla problem in the software distribution
>system, such that all the wonderful IIGS software simply isn't showing
>up in stores?

The software for the GS reflects the distribution of the machine and Apple's
marketing efforts.  There isn't anything on the PC that comes close to
AppleWorks GS.  A few programs like AppleWorks GS, AppleWorks Classic, etc.
dominate the market.  In the PC world, Lotus, Word Perfect etc. dominate the
market in much the same way.  There is a lot of other garbage out there that
survives simply because of the mass marketing that is possible with an
installed base of 10 million, not because it is good.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

hargitai@acf5.NYU.EDU (02/06/90)

yeah, I always wanted a IIgs but I could never justify the

cost. Best marketing would be to drop the price under $1000,

for a working system.

jh

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (02/07/90)

In article <12080@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> [Deleted comments about masses of software for other machines, and lack
>  of said masses for the //gs.]

	You think the //gs is bad? What about the Atari ST? Now there's a
machine that still doesn't have an operating system! (Flames in email,
please)

>Perhaps there is a fundamentla problem in the software distribution
>system, such that all the wonderful IIGS software simply isn't showing
>up in stores?

	Yes, actually, there's lots of it. All of it sitting on my hard
drive, with "just a few more bugs to work out" ;)

	Actually, it seems (from an admittedly limited perspective) that
there's still quite a bit of educational software development going on.
Given that this is what Apple has been pushing the // as, perhaps this
is fairly appropriate (in the context of Apple's apparent mindset about the
//)?
	This isn't exactly what _I_ want, but I think that there's more
software out there than the average c.s.a reader sees...
--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/08/90)

In article <1102@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:

>	Actually, it seems (from an admittedly limited perspective) that
>there's still quite a bit of educational software development going on.
>Given that this is what Apple has been pushing the // as, perhaps this
>is fairly appropriate (in the context of Apple's apparent mindset about the
>//)?

Speaking of educational software and Apple II's, in one of the recent PC
Week's (?), there was an add for a educational company looking for
MS-DOS, Mac, AND Apple ProDOS/DOS3.3 experienced programmers.  So there
apparently there is folks out there looking at the // for development.

>	This isn't exactly what _I_ want, but I think that there's more

Likewise.  But it's better than nothing at least.

-k