[comp.sys.apple] Q: 3.5 drive speed testing

BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET (Scott 'Brez' Bresnahan) (02/08/90)

I would like to know if anyone has ever adjusted the speed of
a 3.5 disk drive?  Also, what programs are available to test the RPMs
of those drives.  I know Copy II+ had a speed test for 5.25 drives,
but what's available for 3.5 drives?  And, is adjustment of a 3.5 as
easy as it is for a 5.25??

Please send replies directly to me at:  BREZ@BCVMS.bitnet

Thanks in advance.

                --Scott
                  BREZ@BCVMS.bitnet

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/09/90)

In article <9002081459.AA19598@apple.com> BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET (Scott 'Brez' Bresnahan) writes:
>I would like to know if anyone has ever adjusted the speed of
>a 3.5 disk drive?  Also, what programs are available to test the RPMs
>of those drives.  I know Copy II+ had a speed test for 5.25 drives,
>but what's available for 3.5 drives?  And, is adjustment of a 3.5 as
>easy as it is for a 5.25??

As I understood it, the speed of a 3.5 inch drive changes constantly depending
on the track one is over.  No speed testing/changes should be necessary,
they certainly are not provided for the user to make them him/herself.

3.5 inch drives are handled by intelligent controllers that control the
speed for the drive themselves.  It might be possible to determine
the speed of a drive byt writing a custom program to do it,
but why bother?

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.