[comp.sys.apple] The current software market

sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth D. Kadesh) (02/09/90)

Great.  A non-flame war over support for the Apple II!  :-)

somebody wrote:
>> > Claris, Roger Wagner Publishing, The Byte Works, Scholastic, MECC, Beagle,
>> >  etc.  etc.

to which Brian Greenstone replied:
>> You call that a list?  That's not IIgs support.  A real list would have
>> included the obvious:  EA, Broderbund, Activision, Sierra On-Line, etc.  The

to which Todd Bakal replied:
>Brian, compare the two lists.  The first one is a list of companies
>providing high-quality productivity software.  Your list is a bunch
>of game companies.  I'm not knocking the games industry, and I
>appreciate your efforts to develop new games for the machine, however,
>most of the current effort is going into the development of "meat and
>potatos" products.  The IIgs needs folks like Barney Stone for database
>work and the guys at Claris (Scott, et al) for wordprocessing.  And,
>we can't forget Andy Nicholas' hard work at making NuFX a reality.
>
>If the productivity software falls off, and the Glen Bredons, Morgan
>Davises, Don Eltons, Bill Bashams, etc. leave the Apple II market,
>then I'll first start to be concerned.  Game manufacturors come and
>go.

To which I write:

If game manufacturers "come and go", then what does it say about the
life of a computer when they no longer develop for that computer?  The
way I see it (please correct me if I'm wrong) is like this:

If I am a transient industry, I'm only going to stay in a market while
it's worth my time.  That's why I'm a transient industry.
The games market seems to be the biggest growth area in the total
software market.  Regardless of whether it's "serious" software, it's a
good indicator of how the current market is doing.

Ok.  I'm sure there's holes in my logic.  I don't know much about
business.  Despite my ignorance, I'm going to suggest that the best
thing for all concerned is to hope that Apple puts some serious
marketing might behind the rom 4 computer.
>> -Brian
>> UUCP: crash!pro-lep!orcus
>> ARPA: crash!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil
>> INET: orcus@pro-lep.cts.com

>    Todd A. Bakal                              I believe in the Cubs,
>    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
>    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

and me:
---
             - tHe mAd ScienTisT, and other carnations
 /   | /--->(seth kadesh)
\    |/a math/cs major in four acts :: Carnegie Mellon University
  \  |\sk2f+@andrew.cmu.edu -or- P254SK2F@CMCCVB
  /  | \---> Smile.  It makes people wonder :-)