[comp.sys.apple] Q: Appleworks to Mac

BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET (Scott 'Brez' Bresnahan) (02/07/90)

As anyone converted AppleWorks word processor files to the Mac?
If so, how?  I know Apple File Exchange can be used, but where can
I get the 'plug in modules' for Appleworks to say MacWrite?  If
you know the name of such a file, it would be a help since I can
then search America On-line or Applelink.

Please send all replies to me at:  BREZ@BCVMS.bitnet

Thanks in advance.

        --Scott

*** I don't do footer files!!!

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/08/90)

And in article <9002071524.AA04833@apple.com> BREZ@BCVMS.BITNET (Scott 'Brez' Bresnahan) writes:

> As anyone converted AppleWorks word processor files to the Mac?
> If so, how?  I know Apple File Exchange can be used, but where can
> I get the 'plug in modules' for Appleworks to say MacWrite?  If
> you know the name of such a file, it would be a help since I can
> then search America On-line or Applelink.

There's two issues here: data transfer and information transfer.
1) There's currently 4 ways to move files between HFS and ProDOS file systems:
AFE, DuplicateIIgs (in MPW), AppleShare, & block editors (look at one file
and type it it on the other system, ick!)... and I'm working on a 5th way.
More on that later if it works out (no, it's not an HFS FST).  If you have it
set up, AppleShare is the easiest way: simply save a file on the server where
you can get to it from the other system.  AFE is far from perfect, but it's
about the only other viable alternative (unless you have an MPW development
system with MPWIIgs).

2) There is currently no way to maintain formatting information between
MacWrite II and AppleWorks GS.  MacWrite II v1.1 ships with an AppleWorks XTND
filter, so you could export from MWII as AWKS then import into AWGS.  You
can't go the other way, yet.  As for the plug-ins to AWKS, sorry I don't know
anything there.  As I said, the plug-ins for MacWrite II exist and are being
shipped.  All this aside, there is still the issue of font compatibility, which
has not been resolved.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

bmwrkshp@watserv1.waterloo.edu ( Wrkshp Id - Sys Design ) (02/09/90)

[Stuff Deleted]
=There's two issues here: data transfer and information transfer.
=1) There's currently 4 ways to move files between HFS and ProDOS file systems:
=AFE, DuplicateIIgs (in MPW), AppleShare, & block editors (look at one file
=and type it it on the other system, ick!)... and I'm working on a 5th way.
=More on that later if it works out (no, it's not an HFS FST).  If you have it
=set up, AppleShare is the easiest way: simply save a file on the server where
=you can get to it from the other system.  AFE is far from perfect, but it's
=about the only other viable alternative (unless you have an MPW development
=system with MPWIIgs).

Actually there are a couple more ways. There's always the trusty null
modem between the two computers. And there's the Mac program called
ProLink from Alsoft (it may still be available). It does transfers from
a ProDOS 3.5" disk to mac and back. Gee, no one seems to have heard of it.

[Stuff Deleted]

Johnny Lee
jlee4@orchid.waterloo.edu