[comp.sys.apple] stuff

burton@SILVER.BACS.INDIANA.EDU (Rex_Burton) (10/19/87)

could you please send me the executioner, the modified cat drivers for dcom,
and the basic patch-all for ProLoss (ProDos).   thanks Rex

Burton@silver.bacs.indiana.edu or seismo!iuvax!silver!burdee

douglas@reed.UUCP (P Douglas Reeder) (01/22/88)

1) Does anybody know how to make the image on a Monitor IIc WIDER?
The vertical size control is on the back.  Is there a horizontal
size control inside somewhere?

2) I have an "old" //c, and do not plan to get 3 1/2 " drives.  Is there
anything in the the "new" roms to justify buying them anyway?

3) Is there a difference between ProDOS and ProDOS 8 ?

4) When using MLI calls and BASIC.SYSTEM commands at the same time,
how does one avoid using an ID number (for a file) that is already
in use? (I want to be able to read a complete textfile without exiting
through and END OF FILE error, by reading the file length.)

--
Doug Reeder                      USENET: ...!tektronix!reed!douglas
Box 502 Reed College             122 38' W   45 28' N

oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) (09/20/88)

>And the IIGS without a 3.5" disk is like a peanut butter sandwich without
>the jelly.

Naahhh... More like a peanut butter sandwich without the bread...:)

One question for all..

Some people have said that they are anxious for the 65832 chip to come so
they can put it in a new IIgs... I have one technical question.. The 65816 is
an 8/16 bit chip.. 16 bits on the inside and 8 bits to the rest of the
computer... Since the 65832 is supposed to be pin-compatible with the 65816,
then it will make that chip an 8/32 bit processor... How much of a speed
increase is it if the chip can't talk to the rest of the machine?  Drive
access time will still be sad while the machine slows down to 1mhz for drive
access.  It sounds like Apple is trying to shoehorn a Ferrari engine in a
VW Beetle.  The engine has to be cut down so it can fit in the engine
compartment (the 65832 having 8 bit data in and out of the chip).  The
handling will be bad because the engine overpowers the car..(well, no analogy
for this but you get the point).

If Apple insists on having 8-bit/16-bit downward compatability, is there any
way to expand the data lines to the rest of the machine up to 32 data paths..
It seems that you can't just keep putting faster processors into a machine
and expect it to keep up with the big boys (if that is even what Apple wants
it to do).

I am not really knowledgeable on any of this stuff or on chip design but this
is how I see it from my ground floor view... Can you please prove me wrong
and point out something that I missed?  (Will RAM access suffer from lack of
16 bit data paths or does RAM always get addressed 8 bits at a time anyway?)

Joel Sumner                    A technological advance is nothing more than
oliver@thelink.UUCP            a Machine that is currently unsupported - Me
!iuvax!ndmath!thelink!oliver
GEnie --> JOEL.SUMNER [me]     Is there a fallout shelter nearby? - Oliver
          ^^^^^^^^^^^ new!!!!!!

shankar@srcsip.UUCP (Subash Shankar) (09/21/88)

In article <167@thelink.UUCP> oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) writes:

>Some people have said that they are anxious for the 65832 chip to come so
>they can put it in a new IIgs... I have one technical question.. The 65816 is
>an 8/16 bit chip.. 16 bits on the inside and 8 bits to the rest of the
>computer... Since the 65832 is supposed to be pin-compatible with the 65816,
>then it will make that chip an 8/32 bit processor... How much of a speed
>increase is it if the chip can't talk to the rest of the machine?  Drive

Good point.  One of the things that has bugged me is the premature glee over
the 65832 Apple II.  I don't have (and never saw) specs on the 65832, but
one possibility is that it may have better arithmetic support then the
65816 (i.e. multiplication, division, floating point).  But it's not
clear to me that a numeric coprocessor wouldn't be a better means of
attaining the same goal.  Adding fast barrel shifting opcodes would be
helpful too, but again this would be just as helpful on a 65816 (or 6502) as
on a 65832.  But in any case, you're right that the 65832 probably won't
solve some of the major performance problems of the Apple II line.

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (09/21/88)

In article <167@thelink.UUCP> oliver@thelink.UUCP (Joel Sumner) writes:
>If Apple insists on having 8-bit/16-bit downward compatability, is there any
>way to expand the data lines to the rest of the machine up to 32 data paths..
I'd hope that by the time a 65c832 machine comes out (//GSe+?) Apple will
have standardized on NuBUS across their product line, in the spirit of
encouraging peripheral sharing.  'old' Apple ][ bus cards could be accessed
through some sort of repeater-to-external Apple ][ backplane arrangement.
(Well, maybe I don't hope for that, but it would be a nice idea.)
Each new machine since the Apple //e has had a 'special' expansion connector
in addition to the regular Apple ][ bus.

c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden) (12/03/88)

Can anyone explain why you aren't allowed to run the "START" program from
the launcher?  This can be *very* annoying if START is something other than
a program that runs the launcher or the finder.

I tried using ProTERM v2.1 Zmodem with "sz" (UNIX/MS-DOS X/Y/Zmodem program);
was able to download, but ProTERM never received the signal to start sending.
Anybody been able to get it working?

--
fadden@zen.berkeley.edu [crashed]
c60c-3aw@widow.berkeley.edu (Andy McFadden)

r.a.a.@pro-palace.UUCP ("R.A. Anonymous") (06/10/89)

Does anyone have any recommendations on good books dealing with Apple //e 8
bit assembly language?

Neat little problem I ran across using both Epic internal (on a //e and IIGS)
and Supra external 2400 baud modems is connectivity with a USR HST 9600 at
2400 baud.. Seems that neither of these modems works, and the lines are free
of noise (tried several configurations on several lines on several prefixes,
to no avail!).. Using a newer Supra, I DID connect clearly time and time again
with the two USR HST 9600's in question.. Could this have anything to do with
the HST's (they both have the latest ROMs for an 'old-standard' (ie; not dual)
HST)?  Interesting situation.....

Anyone around that still uses the REALLY old Pascal-based FORTRAN77?

Also, I'm looking for a hard disk for my //e, new or used, 20+ megs..

And, finally, I've seen a large ammount of pirate boards with System Disk
5.0...  Has this been officially released yet?

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

                                    Ed Kern
                              @pro-palace!r.a.a.
                       @TPD GBBS  215/678-5741  24/12/3
            "And you thought AppleSloth was bad!  Try FORTRAN77!!"

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (06/11/89)

Network Comment: to #8644 by pnet01!crash!trout.nosc.mil!pnet01!pro-palace!r.a.a.

> I've seen System 5.0 on pirate boards... has it been released

No, it hasn't.. and from what one guy told me it is about 6 or 7 revisions
behind the current version in developer's hands.  The guy I talked to said it
crashed alot.. of course.. the version he mentioned (D15 or D17 I believe) was
really bad...

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary Gray) (06/11/89)

In article <8906100948.AA17131@crash.cts.com> pnet01!pro-sat!pro-cyon!pro-palace!r.a.a.@nosc.mil writes:
>Does anyone have any recommendations on good books dealing with Apple //e 8
>bit assembly language?

Well, it depends on what you mean... do you want a tutorial?  A reference
manual?

If you want a tutorial, you may want to get _Assembly Lines: The Book_,
originally published by Softalk books (a moment of respectful silence, please)
But now out from Roger Wagner Publishing inc.  This is the book I learned
assembly from, it is clear and has many, many examples.  I haven't seen the
edition from R.W. Publishing, but my version spends 2 chapters dealing with
Dos 3.3 disk i/o, which is a bit less than useless, since any sane person uses
Prodos now.   Cost: $19.95

I also have Rodnay Zaks _Programming the Apple II in Assembly Language_ from
Sybex.  Zaks talks about the basics, as well as data structures (quit a lot,
actually) and scratches the surface on things like graphics programming,
Prodos MLI, mouse programming, etc. I don't know how easy this is to learn
from, but it really isn't broken down into "lessons" like _Assembly Lines_ is,
but then again, it may be more up to date than assembly lines.

If you want a reference book, I suggest starting out with Gary B. Little's
_Inside the Apple_ series.  I have the //c book, and for a long time it was my
only reference on my computer.  However, once you REALLY get into programming,
you need to have the official technical manual for your machine published by
Addison Wesley.  I have the //c and the Prodos 8 manual, and, for me at least,
they are not so outrageously priced considering the amount of data you get...

Anybody remember the "good ol days" when apple gave you all of the technical
manuals you needed (including schematics) _with_ the computer?

paulj@pro-generic.cts.com (Paul Johnson) (10/15/89)

Network Comment: to #6129 by usc!henry.jpl.nasa.gov!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!gryphon!pnet02!lbotez@ucsd.edu

        Hello fellow Apple netters.  I have two questions here, and am hoping
some people out there can answer me via Private Mail.  First off.  There's
been al the discussions about formatting a 40 track ProDOS 5 1/4" disk.  But
no-one has ever explained the trick of actually doing it.  So, if anyone
really knows, please leave me mail to the address most convienent for you.
And also, I want to know how to use the 'Apple 2-L', as in, how to download
things from it.  Or even to access it.  Please reply via Private mail, because
I will be sure not to miss it then.  Thanks in advance to ANYBODY that could
help me...

                                                        Paul

                                        :: Paul Johnson ::
   UUCP: crash!pro-generic!paulj                Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
   ARPA: crash!pro-generic!paulj@nosc.mil   A
   INET: paulj@pro-generic.cts.co

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (02/08/90)

>>So what if the II is 25% of Apple's profits or whatever.  Look at the
>>REALITY.  How many publishers are still doing IIgs products?  Almost none.
>>The only ones doing it are small companies who learned, and are not going to
>>do IIgs stuff again. I've spoken with them all, and none of the publishers
>>will even return your messages if you say IIgs.  Apple doesn't car
>>They are letting the IIgs die by not supporting it.  ROM 03 was a to
>>joke.  GS/OS is a travesty.  The availability of software is NIL.  Need I
>>say more?

>>Brian

>no, you don't have to say anything more. funny thing is, I bet a lot
>of people - myself included - don't want to hear you anymore.  [several more
>similarstatements deleted].

>please do me and everyone else a favor and buy an amiga...

>anthony girardin

Please don't flame on Brian Greenstone.  He's one of the best Apple IIGS game
programmers that are still left programming for the machine.  Just give him a
little room to vent out his frustrations.

Imagine yrself spending the years and energy to learn everything there is to
know about the Apple IIGS; devoting and year+ to writing a terrific game
(Xenocide); and then slowly discover that the market is drying up.

Don't tell to buy an Amiga; he loves the GS.   He's just discouraged, and
doesn't see much of a future.  Would you want to bet YOUR future on the
machine?

Lynda

and please, PLEASE finish "Alien Rain" ... Brian.

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (02/09/90)

Recently there has been a lot of interest in the request made on AOL
by Jerry Cline for everyone to send him their wish list for the next
Apple II computer release.

Several folks said they did not have access to AOL and wanted other ways
to get their wish list to Jerry so that he could forward it to Apple.

Linda was kind enough to offer to collect these wish lists and get them
to Jerry as no one had a better way to reach him...

For those that still want to let Apple know what they want to see in the
next GS here are several ways to contact Jerry Cline directly..

cline.j@applelink.apple.com
Arizona Apple Tree BBS (he is the sysop) 602-264-3800

or if you prefer using paper mail, Jerry Cline, 3035 E. Topaz Cir.,
Phoenix, AZ 85028

Ok, that means folks here on the net now have four different ways to
make their desires known (the above 3 plus via Lynda).. so there is
NO EXCUSE for not submiting your note, nor is there any longer a reason
for the way outs to claim it was just a ploy on Jerry's part to drum
up business on AOL.

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN
>>  Miami's Big Apple - 305-948-8000 - 24 hours - 300/1200 - PCP'able  <<
>>  Oldest Apple support board in Southeast. Now in it's ninth year.   <<

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (02/09/90)

In article <1613@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman)
says:

>cline.j@applelink.apple.com
>Arizona Apple Tree BBS (he is the sysop) 602-264-3800
>
>or if you prefer using paper mail, Jerry Cline, 3035 E. Topaz Cir.,
>Phoenix, AZ 85028
>
>Ok, that means folks here on the net now have four different ways to
>make their desires known (the above 3 plus via Lynda).. so there is
>NO EXCUSE for not submiting your note, nor is there any longer a reason
>for the way outs to claim it was just a ploy on Jerry's part to drum
>up business on AOL.

What's this??? What's THIS??? I was told you couldn't get from here to there!
Thanks a lot,now we can get in touch with him....