[comp.sys.apple] CALL FOR VOTES: Renaming comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2

On Mon, 29 Jan 90 20:44:53 GMT Joe Ilacqua said:
>[As usual, send votes to vote taker (spike), not to the moderator of
> news.announce.newgroups.                        -eliot]
>
>This is the first "CALL FOR VOTES" for the renaming of the Usenet news
>group comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.  This will not change the
>charter of the group.
>
>To vote send MAIL to:
>
>    apple2@world.std.com
>    {uunet,xylogics,bu.edu}!world!apple2

I'd like to recommend that EVERYONE email a vote even though the issue
is non-controversial.  After the last 125 name encounter, it would be
illuminating to see how many readers really are out there (it also might
help Apple take us a little more seriously if the numbers are a tad
greater :-)

So, even though the outcome is predictable and you're really not very
concerned, take (what, 20 seconds) to email a one liner (and SUBJECT)
to apple2@world.std.com

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

roberth@microsoft.UUCP (Robert HESS) (02/09/90)

[Joe Ilacqua said:]

| "CALL FOR VOTES" for the renaming of the Usenet news group
| comp.sys.apple to comp.sys.apple2.
|
| To vote send MAIL to:
|
|    apple2@world.std.com
|    {uunet,xylogics,bu.edu}!world!apple2

[To which Murph Sewall responded:]

| I'd like to recommend that EVERYONE email a vote even though the issue
| is non-controversial.  After the last 125 name encounter, it would be
| illuminating to see how many readers really are out there (it also might
| help Apple take us a little more seriously if the numbers are a tad
| greater :-)

I agree with Murph. If there are really only 125 people in net-land who
care about the Apple II (*any* model) then why should we even bother
with it any more.

Many of you out there who are rather vocal about your 'needs' from
Apple, didn't even vote in the last CALL FOR VOTES. If you can't expend
the modicum of energy that sending a short email message requires, then
who are you to complain.

Frankly, if only 125 people vote again, I would like to propose that we
vote to close down this newsgroup, because obviously it isn't doing
anybody any good.

     #####   ####### |	  Robert B. Hess, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA
    ######  #######  |-----------------------------------------------------
   ####### #######   |	roberth@microsof.uu.net
  #### ##### ####    |	{decvax, uunet, uw-beaver}!microsof!roberth
 ####  ###  ####     |_____________________________________________________
   "...my opinions are strictly my own, and not those of my employer..."

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (02/09/90)

In article <10505@microsoft.UUCP> roberth@microsoft.UUCP (Robert HESS) writes:
>[Joe Ilacqua said:]
>Frankly, if only 125 people vote again, I would like to propose that we
>vote to close down this newsgroup, because obviously it isn't doing
>anybody any good.

Don't you think that's a bit extreme?  Personally, if there were only
10 people reading this newsgroup I would still read it and do what I
could.

--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier                          | Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

UNESTJ@UNCVX1.BITNET (Tamara) (02/11/90)

                                                    Time : 10-FEB-1990 14:37

> Frankly, if only 125 people vote again, I would like to propose that we
> vote to close down this newsgroup, because obviously it isn't doing
> anybody any good.
>
>  __________________________________________________________________________
>      #####   ####### |          Robert B. Hess, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA

Where do you come off saying such a thing?

 No matter how many strong we are or are not, it is important that people care
 enough to be vocal about these issues. Following your argument, perhaps you
 would agree to kill off a couple
 of minorities because there aren't enough of them to make them really count!!!
 :-[
--------
"Keep On Rocking in a Free World"
                                   UNESTJ@uncvx1.bitnet