[comp.sys.apple] HyperC //gs patch

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (02/10/90)

I recently (8 hours ago?) posted to comp.binaries.apple2 a little
program I whipped up...

Finally:  //gs users can use HyperC ProDOS!

How to use it: Get the patch (Incredibly small...I wrote it in the
monitor [literally: 2100:A9 00 type stuff]), and unBinscii it.  Place
the resulting file (GS.SYSTEM) on the /CSYS disk (there should be one
block free--and guess what? GS.SYSTEM is one block long!).  Now, just
select GS.SYSTEM to start up HyperC instead of C.SYSTEM.

More neato features: My code tries to be smart to allow interrupts to
behave as normal (unlike the old patch for the CDOS version of HyperC).
My code seems to work ok, and I could get to the control panel regularly from
the prompt--but if I tried it in the middle of an 'ls', sometimes it
would hang when the 'ls' tried to return...I don't know what caused this.

Question: Does the //gs always enable the ROM when an interrupt occur?
If so, how is one supposed to return to a routine on the language card
that was interrupted?

Coming soon: A nibble copier.

Another Comment:  Why doesn't 'cd ..' work?  And is there an equivalent
for 'ls -l'?  If not, does anyone have source code for these routines?

I only played with it for about 10 minutes, to see if my patch worked.
My code is gross looking, so don't bother disassembling it--please
don't....I'm embarrassed by it :-).

Let me know if you have any problems....

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/11/90)

In article <13758@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:

   Coming soon: A nibble copier.

[???  as in Locksmith ?? ]

   Another Comment:  Why doesn't 'cd ..' work?  And is there an equivalent
   for 'ls -l'?  If not, does anyone have source code for these routines?

[
cd is slightly braindead.  it requires the path to be a subdirectory
or an absolute path.  i.e. there's no support for .. or . directories.

as far as I can tell, there are no switches to ls.  I wonder if any
other shell's work or can be modified to replace the hyper c shell..
]

-Paul Nakada
pnakada@oracle.com

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/11/90)

In article <13758@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) writes:
>Question: Does the //gs always enable the ROM when an interrupt occur?
>If so, how is one supposed to return to a routine on the language card
>that was interrupted?

No, certainly not before it calls the main interrupt handler, which I believe
is the one you're patching ($E10010).  It's your code's responsibility to
preserve, set up, and restore any particular memory environment you need
(the STATEREG at $E1C068 will be helpful here).
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.