[comp.sys.apple] New Markets for Apple

hargitai@acf5.NYU.EDU (02/09/90)

New markets for Apples.

The new Eastern Europe:

A brand new market for millions of pcs. And  those people are willing
to give all they have for computers of any kind. Apple might reconcider
discontinuing the II, or at least licencing it to some willing partner.
The market over there is not the high-speed market so selling a
machine quite old would not be a problem. And of course would cost
Apple next to nothing.

New United Germany:

Amiga probably will play a big role.

Soviet Union:

They tried to build and apple clone, didn't work. They have
mostly hackers machines at home and big machines in institutions.

Hungary:

Ibm clones and Vaxen.

I don't really know the situation in Poland, Rumania and Czechoslovakia.
But I'm sure they will have growing needs and more and more cash or
at least loans available.

jh.

NOSES@DBNINF5.BITNET (Achim Patzner) (02/11/90)

(sorry... forgot the RE:)

The new Eastern Europe:

> A brand new market for millions of pcs. And  those people are willing
> to give all they have for computers of any kind.

Seems they've got not much to give... At least not for expensive toys...

> Apple might reconcider
> discontinuing the II, or at least licencing it to some willing partner.

Apple already stopped selling the Apple II in *Western Europe*...

> The market over there is not the high-speed market so selling a
> machine quite old would not be a problem. And of course would cost
> Apple next to nothing.

Do you think the people building/selling clones are sleeping?

> New United Germany:
> Amiga probably will play a big role.

It won't... Atari and PC clones already got that market. 8-) And the people
who can't afford them are using Apple II+ clones or Commodore C64.
East Germany is a REAL paradise: Their supreme court just decided that
computer software isn't worth being protected by law --> piracy is legal
there... West German pirates are moving their centers of activity more and
more eastward. And the rules about software include Firmware... a hard time
for companies like Apple as even if there is an united Germany the West
German laws won't be forced on the eastern part... (East Germany couldn't
afford those laws: they're selling PC clones including pirated ROMs 8-) ).

> Soviet Union:
> They tried to build and apple clone, didn't work.

It works... I've seen it. But they didn't stop improving and are now
using PC clones like every civilized country. 8-)

> They have mostly hackers machines at home and big machines in institutions.

Who invented Tetris??? And where???8-)

> I don't really know the situation in Poland, Rumania and Czechoslovakia.

Poland and Rumania have enough problems staying alive...

For those who are interested: There are at least two BBSs at East Berlin
that can be reached via (and now it's getting complicated) uucp or FidoNet
gateways to the German Zerberus net.

Achim

(Noses@DBNINF5.bitnet; if that won't work, try {anything}!unido!bnu!patzner)

jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com (Joe Abernathy) (02/12/90)

> ... various stuff about potential computer markets in the emerging
> European free market....

A Canadian group will be marketing Apple II-compatible computers in the soviet
Union. Details in the May 1990 inCider.

UUCP: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!jabernathy@nosc.mil
INET: jabernathy@pro-houston.cts.com
America Online: JOEA17, First Word
Direct: Pro-Houston, (713) 526-9607, 3-2400 bps

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (02/13/90)

on the other hand, the Soviets have been nuts about the Apple //
wherever they've managed to get a hold on one, like at the Moscow
University and their Science centers. Don't forget Tetris came from
Russia from an Apple //!

To the Europeans, the // would be much like it was to us when it was
introduced, a fun thing to play and hack with and develop neat things
on. A fun novelty and intellectual pursuit without the spoo that you
run into with marketing, big money, Lotus, Inc., etc. etc.

Priced correctly, they'd sell like hotcakes, and might help them
forget their troubles from time to time.

|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |