[comp.sys.apple] Non-flamed response to Brian

Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU (02/08/90)

> > Claris, Roger Wagner Publishing, The Byte Works, Scholastic, MECC, Beagle,
> >  etc.  etc.
>
> You call that a list?  That's not IIgs support.  A real list would have
> included the obvious:  EA, Broderbund, Activision, Sierra On-Line, etc.  The

Brian, compare the two lists.  The first one is a list of companies
providing high-quality productivity software.  Your list is a bunch
of game companies.  I'm not knocking the games industry, and I
appreciate your efforts to develop new games for the machine, however,
most of the current effort is going into the development of "meat and
potatos" products.  The IIgs needs folks like Barney Stone for database
work and the guys at Claris (Scott, et al) for wordprocessing.  And,
we can't forget Andy Nicholas' hard work at making NuFX a reality.

If the productivity software falls off, and the Glen Bredons, Morgan
Davises, Don Eltons, Bill Bashams, etc. leave the Apple II market,
then I'll first start to be concerned.  Game manufacturors come and
go.  But, the Apple II is still a top quality home and education
product.  So, there will always be a need for productivity software.

I'm not telling you to leave the market.  Au contraire, I encourage you
to continue developing for the IIgs.  Many of the products that have
come out this year have had an inspirational effect on developers I
know.  Actually, it's more a form of envy.  "Geez, how did those
French guys do it? [in response to FTA]" and "That's really nice [in
response to Soundsmith]".  People are taking more time to develop the
nice touchs instead of rushing a more barren product to market.

> -Brian
> _____
>
> UUCP: crash!pro-lep!orcus
> ARPA: crash!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil
> INET: orcus@pro-lep.cts.com

    Todd A. Bakal                              I believe in the Cubs,
    U of M Apple User's Group                  UM's national championship
    Ann Arbor, Michigan                        chances, and my Apple ][gs.

    Internet: Tabakal@ub.cc.umich.edu          FTP: 35.1.1.43
    UUCP: ...!uunet!ub.cc.umich.edu!tabakal    BITnet: Tabakal@UMICHUB

JWANKERL@UTCVM.BITNET ("Josef W. Wankerl") (02/09/90)

On Thu, 8 Feb 90 09:24:32 EST <Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU> said:
>I'm not telling you to leave the market.  Au contraire, I encourage you
>to continue developing for the IIgs.  Many of the products that have
>come out this year have had an inspirational effect on developers I
>know.  Actually, it's more a form of envy.  "Geez, how did those
>French guys do it? [in response to FTA]" and "That's really nice [in
>response to Soundsmith]".  People are taking more time to develop the
>nice touchs instead of rushing a more barren product to market.

Yes, Brian... you're work has been a GREAT inspiration to me...
I'm even disassembling a few of those nifty games to see how they
tick so I could see a few of the inside tricks to make things
work.  I've been flip-flopping between dedicating my self to the
gs or moving off to some other platform... and the gs just seems to
keep me around for some reason which I just can't explain.  Maybe
because it's fun for me to program on it (I just can't get used to
programming on one of them there MS-DOS machines, can you?).

/**********************************************************************\
|*      Joe "Gonzo" Wankerl       |*|  The views expressed here are   *|
|* BITNET =>  JWANKERL@UTCVM      |*|  not necessarily yours...       *|
|*                                |*|         ...but they should be.  *|
\**********************************************************************/

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (02/11/90)

In article <4505948@ub.cc.umich.edu>, Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

> And,
> we can't forget Andy Nicholas' hard work at making NuFX a reality.

hey, what i've done can in no way be compared to stuff like AppleWorks GS
or DBMaster Pro.

andy

--

Yeah!

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/13/90)

In article <990@batman.moravian.EDU> nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) writes:

> In article <4505948@ub.cc.umich.edu>, Tabakal@UB.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

> > And,
> > we can't forget Andy Nicholas' hard work at making NuFX a reality.

> hey, what i've done can in no way be compared to stuff like AppleWorks GS
> or DBMaster Pro.

That depends on how much mind-numbing effort you put into it :-)

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.