[comp.sys.apple] Matt, Cary, GS/OS Ref, Firmware Ref, etc.

ghost@bucsb.UUCP (Jay Adelson) (02/12/90)

	Thank you both for the help with the serial port..little
things like that can help even in the most frustrating situations.

	My problem (as many of you Apple IIGS users out there may be
sharing) is the difficulty in OBTAINING THE GS REFERENCE BOOKS.

	A year ago, it seemed no problem for me to walk into the Harvard
or Boston University book store and find a GS Reference book. That was
before I needed them.

	Now, my list of UNOBTAINABLE is as follows:

		Apple IIGS Toolbox Reference, Volumes 1-3
		GS/OS Reference (all volumes)
		Apple IIGS Firmware Reference (all volumes)

	Oddly, for the last five months or so, none of these titles
have been available in the Boston area. (To my knowledge.)

	The local computer stores do not carry them, and neither do
book stores, or even computer specialty book stores.
	I called APDA and asked them if they knew anything about it,
and they didn't.

	Overall, this is why I ask these questions.  For some weird
reason, the Hardware Reference is plentiful.  If I wanted Appletalk
guides, Macintosh guides, or Applesoft Basic ( :-, ) guides, I would
have no problem....I've been depending on books such as

	Inside the Apple IIGS, by Gary Bond
	Advanced Programming Techniques for the Apple IIGS Toolbox
                                 and
	Mastering the Apple IIGS Toolbox, both by Dan Gookin and Morgan Davis

  No other titles are available!!! I've special ordered the Reference books.
That was a month ago. So now, I must depend on good natured GS experts
such as you for help.

         - Jay Adelson (ghost@bucsf.bu.edu)

{;-)

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/13/90)

In article <271@bucsb.UUCP> ghost@bucsf.UUCP (Jay Adelson) writes:
>My problem (as many of you Apple IIGS users out there may be
>sharing) is the difficulty in OBTAINING THE GS REFERENCE BOOKS.
>
>A year ago, it seemed no problem for me to walk into the Harvard
>or Boston University book store and find a GS Reference book. That was
>before I needed them.
>
>Now, my list of UNOBTAINABLE is as follows:
>
>Apple IIGS Toolbox Reference, Volumes 1-3
>GS/OS Reference (all volumes)
>Apple IIGS Firmware Reference (all volumes)

All bookstores I've been to will happily order Addison-Wesley books for
you--just ask (they really -do- want your money).

Toolbox Reference Volume 3 is not yet available from Addison-Wesley; you
can get a draft from APDA (1-800-282-APDA).  The GS/OS Reference is also
currently available only in draft form.
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.