[comp.sys.apple] //e speedup

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (02/13/90)

In article <995@rbdc.UUCP> mitch@rbdc.UUCP (Mitch Berry) writes:

>well the guy who paid $100 for the enhanced //e update...that was mostly
>labor...acutally i think later on apple sold the kit for about $30 bucks to
>anydbody who wanted to do it themseleves....btw....are there any 2mhz+
>65c02 chips around i've seen a 6502b 3 mhz chip. for $15
>i wonder if i threw it in my //e would i have 3mhz speed or at least a little
>faster eh?...hmm...there is also a 2mhz for $7 bucks...ideas?
>
>mitch@rbdc.UUCP

Processors are rated on how fast they are CAPABLE of running, but they
don't automatically run that fast.  First you have to ASK the processor
to go faster by increasing the clock speed that is generated by your
computer.  After you increase the clock speed, you then have to buy
faster RAM and ROM to get the program and data to the processor at the
new faster rate.  In the specific case of the Apple, where a video
generator is simultaneously accessing the RAM for a frame buffer, you
also have to design a fix that allows the video to remain compatible.

By the time you've replaced all of these items, you practically have a
new computer except for your peripherals.

To get all of the above features, all you need is an Applied Engineering
TransWarp card for about $125 and then you can use that $15 processor
at 3.579545 MHz.  The new TransWarp II runs at 7.15909 MHz for $169.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP