[comp.sys.apple] Help with weird monitor connections

henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) (02/12/90)

I'd like to add a TV to my room, but I don't have a whole lot of space.  So,
what I'd like to do  is buy a cheap VCR, and connect the composite video out
port to my GS's RGB monitor.  Does anyone out there have any idea how I could
do this?  I don't imagine there is a cable in existance, but I think I can
build my own if told which pins do what.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!henrym
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!henrym@nosc.mil
INET: henrym@pro-europa.cts.com
America Online  Dalamar11

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/12/90)

Sounds to me like you're asking for a world of hurt!  The composite signal put
out by a VCR is, as the name indicates, a composite of red, green, and blue
video signals, as well as timing and other signals so that only two conductors
are needed to carry the signal.  Unfortunately, an RGB monitor expects all
the signals to have their own line.  That notwithstanding, someone's probably
built what you're looking for already.  You'd need something to split the
composite signal into its red, green, and blue components.  I can only guess,
but I'd think such a circuit wouldn't be too difficult--every TV has something
like it built-in!  If you don't mind spending $500, you could get yourself the
Video Overlay Card.  You could really do some interesting things like that;
for example, you might set up a window on the TV image in which you could keep
computing!  Also, the VOC is supposed to be capable of the 640x400 graphics
that should be in the ROM 04, so you might play with that.

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/13/90)

In article <1453@crash.cts.com> henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) writes:
>I'd like to add a TV to my room, but I don't have a whole lot of space.  So,
>what I'd like to do  is buy a cheap VCR, and connect the composite video out
>port to my GS's RGB monitor.  Does anyone out there have any idea how I could
>do this?  I don't imagine there is a cable in existance, but I think I can
>build my own if told which pins do what.

Sounds like a neat trick, unless your VCR has an RGB output.  You could
put a Video Overlay card into your GS, plug your VCR into that, and plug
the RGB output from the card into the RGB monitor.  (This is *not* a cheap
solution.)

Since space is a problem, you might try to find a small TV, or a way to
stack things up, assuming you're not in earthquake territory.
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

rlw@ttardis.UUCP (Ron Wilson) (02/13/90)

In article <1453@crash.cts.com>, henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) writes:
>I'd like to add a TV to my room, but I don't have a whole lot of space.  So,
>what I'd like to do  is buy a cheap VCR, and connect the composite video out
>port to my GS's RGB monitor.  Does anyone out there have any idea how I could
>do this?  I don't imagine there is a cable in existance, but I think I can
>build my own if told which pins do what.

A friend of mine uses a Commadore 2002 RGB/S-video/Composite-video monitor
with his IIgs.

The main reason my friend bought the Commadore monitor was because he
didn't want pay $1200 for a S-video (used with S-VHS and ED-Beta VCRs)
monitor when the Commadore monitor (with an appropriate cable) could do
the same for only $250.

As it turned out, the monitor was designed to work with all Commadore
computers including the Amiga and Commadore's PC compable; as such the
monitor will display composite video (use by the VIC-20), S-video (used
by the C64 - AND S-VHS VCRs), analog RGB (used by the IIgs and the Amiga),
AND IBM CGA video - this monitor is hard to beat.

I don't recall the way to wire a cable for using it with a IIgs - but
it is VERY easy to figure out.  The ONLY tricky part is that a 75 ohm
resistor is required on the synch wire from the IIgs to the monitor.

In any case, this monitor will cost less than buying the otherwise
required composite to RGB convertor box.