[comp.sys.apple] ROM 04 GS & Brian Greenstone

jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) (02/09/90)

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> In article <10073.net.apple@pro-lep> orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone)
> writes:
>>How many publishers are still doing IIgs products?  Almost none.  The only
>>ones doing it are small companies who learned, and are not going to do IIgs
>>stuff again.  Ive spoken with them all, and none of the publishers will even
>return your messages if you say IIgs.  Apple doesnt care.  They're letting the
>>IIgs die by not supporting it. ROM 03 was a total joke.  GS/OS is a travesty.
>> The availability of software is NIL.  Need I say more?
>
> I think Brian was disillusioned by his experiences in trying to market
> IIGS-specific games.  Eventually, he found a small publisher (Micro
> Revelations?  I forget) for Xenocide, which is a nifty game that I think
> is worth the $50 or so that is charged for it.

THE guy who wrote Xenocide? Nice piece of work! Impressive! WOW!

I can see where this guy is coming from, I just am not ready to give
up on the machine. I went through my APPLE SUCKS phase back when we
were hit by the //c+ rather than the GS+. Since then, I have gotten
used to Apple's foolishness and clumsy resource allocation, in both
the GS and Mac markets.

But stick around, Brian. I'd hate to lose a guy with your talents. And
I think/hope the times they are a' changin'. GS/OS 5.02 has a lot of
potential, and System 6 is supposedly on its way this month. It's
structure is nicer than HFS; take a look at it someday! Yecch!

'Sides, crummy marketing by Apple is SUPPOSED to make us mad and buy
Macs and Amigas. If we stick around, we screw them and their marketing
logic :-) and Japanese firms like Nintendo start knockin' and saying
"If you don't want that huge user base anymore, you wanna sell it to us??"
and Apple starts getting nervous while their stocks slide and IBM
contemplates an Apple // board for their '386 machines...

Stick around... let the pot boil just a little more... the bottom's
sure to fall out as surely as the Berlin Wall is coming down! ;-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Jeremy Mereness                  |   Support     | Ye Olde Disclaimer:    |
|jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (internet)  |     Free      |  The above represent my|
|r746jm7e@cmccvb (Vax... bitnet)  |      Software |  opinions, alone.      |
|staff/student@Carnegie Mellon U. |               |  Ya Gotta Love It.     |

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (02/10/90)

In article <QZoPMmu00VRhITwJYn@andrew.cmu.edu> jm7e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jeremy G. Mereness) writes:

stuff deleted

>But stick around, Brian. I'd hate to lose a guy with your talents. And
>I think/hope the times they are a' changin'. GS/OS 5.02 has a lot of
>potential, and System 6 is supposedly on its way this month. It's
>structure is nicer than HFS; take a look at it someday! Yecch!
>
>'Sides, crummy marketing by Apple is SUPPOSED to make us mad and buy
>Macs and Amigas. If we stick around, we screw them and their marketing
>logic :-) and Japanese firms like Nintendo start knockin' and saying
>"If you don't want that huge user base anymore, you wanna sell it to us??"
>and Apple starts getting nervous while their stocks slide and IBM
>contemplates an Apple // board for their '386 machines...
>
>Stick around... let the pot boil just a little more... the bottom's
>sure to fall out as surely as the Berlin Wall is coming down! ;-)

I think you're right.  Allan Loren and Jean Louis Gasse are the first two
bricks to fall.  Apple has been getting flamed by stock analysts and
therefore its shareholders for ignoring the low end (hmmm... seems like I've
heard that somewhere before ;-) ).  Maybe the corporate systems works after-
all, albeit slowly.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) (02/10/90)

Im sorry that so many of you have taken my posts as offensive and that I lead
you to send me such hate email, but I just want to restate my position:

I am PRO IIgs
I am continuing to develop for the IIgs
I hope the IIgs survives and publishers come back
But
I cant believe that after 3 years of failed rumors, that some of you out there
still fall for these rediculous rumors.  Can you say "gullible"?

-Brian
_____

UUCP: crash!pro-lep!orcus
ARPA: crash!pro-lep!orcus@nosc.mil
INET: orcus@pro-lep.cts.com

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/11/90)

In article <10285.net.apple@pro-lep> orcus@pro-lep.cts.com (Brian Greenstone) writes:
>I cant believe that after 3 years of failed rumors, that some of you out there
>still fall for these rediculous rumors.  Can you say "gullible"?

No, but can you say "hopeful?"  C'mon, Apple seems to have had a change of
heart lately regarding the II--new marketing, ROM 04, Loren, Gassee, et al. out
the door, etc.  Maybe you think Apple has cried "wolf" too much, but the rest
of us are optimistic that change is taking place that will result in more
attention to the Apple II.

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

MACAUSLANDR@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland) (02/12/90)

On Feb 9 Brian Greenstone said:
>..... But I can't believe that after 3 years of failed rumors, that some of
>you out there still fall for these ridiculous rumors.  Can you say "gullible"?

Brian, you may have a point, but the tone of your messages (like the above)
is rather inflammitory, which may be why the responses you have received to
date have been less than friendly...

Btw, considering that the information regarding the ROM 4 machine came from
within Apple, and from someone who is in a position to know what is or is not
taking place, I think that the new GS upgrade falls slightly above rumor
status... call me 'gullible', but hey, I think it's worth the risk to hold out
a great deal of hope on this one :-)

RM

tsouth@pro-pac.cts.com (System Administrator) (02/13/90)

Re:

> From: MACAUSLANDR@watt.ccs.tuns.ca (Robert MacAusland)
> Subject: RE: Re: ROM 04 GS & Brian Greenstone

> Btw, considering that the information regarding the ROM 4 machine came from
> within Apple, and from someone who is in a position to know what is or is not
> taking place, I think that the new GS upgrade falls slightly above rumor
> status... call me 'gullible', but hey, I think it's worth the risk to hold
> out a great deal of hope on this one :-)

Can you PLEASE expand on this for some of us that just got net connectivity
reestablished?

Todd South

--
UUCP: {nosc, uunet!cacilj, sdcsvax, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun.COM, apple} /\
                      ...!crash!pnet01!pro-sol!pro-pac!tsouth  /\ /^^\