[comp.sys.apple] floating point accelerators

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (02/12/90)

As long as I'm asking questions about the Innovative System's FPE, does
anybody else make a floating point accelerator that works with the GS
SANE Tools?  HOw much does IT speed things up?

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (02/13/90)

In case anybody cares, here's what I seem to have found out about
floating point cards.  AE's card has essentially no software support,
i.e., it comes with macros and does something for Applesoft.  It DOES
NOT patch into the SANE toolbox.  NONE of the shipped Transwarp GS's are
compatible with the Innovative Systems'FPE.  AE will make the necesary
mod, quoting 3-5 weeks.  The person I talked also said she was willing
to describe what change needed to be done, but since it was in a
delicate area and used dental tools etc.  the risk of voiding your
warranty by letting somebody else do it seemed to me one worth avoiding.
Has anyone had good luck in modifying theirs?

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/13/90)

In article <900212195150.286369@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>...  NONE of the shipped Transwarp GS's are
>compatible with the Innovative Systems'FPE.  AE will make the necesary
>mod, quoting 3-5 weeks.  The person I talked also said she was willing
>to describe what change needed to be done, but since it was in a
>delicate area and used dental tools etc.  the risk of voiding your
>warranty by letting somebody else do it seemed to me one worth avoiding.
>Has anyone had good luck in modifying theirs?

I was told by one of the AE customer support people that the mod was
simply to lift pin 1 of U22.  It definitely is a task for only skilled
fingers!  Since the pins weren't numbered I assumed that pin 1 was the
one at the end near the dot, i.e. on upper left corner of U22 as one
views the component side with the board contact fingers pointing down.
However, after I lifted the pin (by twisting a jeweler's screwdriver
carefully under it), my IS FPE still did not work properly while the
TWGS is installed.  To their credit, IS staff have exhibited interest
in helping get this working, but I have a hard time envisioning giving
up use of the equipment and mailing pieces of it around the country.

If anybody knows why what I did may not have worked and has better
suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.  A precise description of
the conflict between the two boards would also be nice!