[comp.sys.apple] Help! Homebrew SCSI Hard Drive on IIGS

keithl@loop.UUCP (Keith Lofstrom) (02/09/90)

Any GSII hard drive hackers out there?

After a year of faithful service on my Mac, my homebrew 20 meg SCSI hard drive
is migrating to the Apple II GS of a young friend of mine (Say Hi, Lindsay.
"hi").  Unfortunately, I know nothing about IIGS; young friend knows little
about OS details.

The drive is a 20 Meg Micropolis 1302, 830 tracks, 3 heads, 18 sectors,
3600 RPM, 6ms (!!) access, with an Adaptec 4000A controller.  I have formatted
it on the Mac with Fractal Formatter or Silver Lining 5.2, either works fine,
on the Mac.  I am formatting with an interleave of 3, and entering the bad
blocks with Fractal.  Silver Lining claims to be able to write a ProDos
partition.

When I move the drive to the IIGS, it can't find partitions; OK, an initialize
and an erase seems to make a proper drive.  The fun happens when I start moving
files to it; after some random number of files it stops copying with an error
"8051". At this point my only option seems to be to erase the disk and start
again.

We are running a ProDos 5.02 ( an "unofficial" copy made by a local
dealer ...  a real copy is on order ).  The Apple SCSI card is in slot 7.

Any ideas?  Can this be made to work?  Will Lindsay be able to launch Math
Blaster without using the floppy?

I am not interested in becoming an Apple IIGS expert; some cookbook directions
would be wonderful, but a pointer to a book or article would be OK, too.

Thanks a Meg;
Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom    keithl@loop    tektronix!psueea!qiclab!loop!keithl
Launch Loop, P.O. Box 1538, Portland, Oregon 97207   (503)-628-3645

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (02/12/90)

> The drive is a 20 Meg Micropolis 1302, 830 tracks, 3 heads, 18 sectors,
> 3600 RPM, 6ms (!!) access, with an Adaptec 4000A controller.  I have
> formatted it on the Mac with Fractal Formatter or Silver Lining 5.2, either
> works fine, on the Mac.  I am formatting with an interleave of 3, and
> entering the bad blocks with Fractal.  Silver Lining claims to be able to
> write a ProDos partition.

I would suggest that your interleave is too much for the GS, try a higher
number.

Gary

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow          |
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                       | Pro-Freedom: (206)253-9389
 ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Vancouver, Wa
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com               |

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (02/13/90)

Despite many attempts, I have never been able to get  an Adaptec or
other "adapted" SCSI drives to work on the IIGS.   I had no problem
with true imbedded SCSI drives.   I was unable to interface a Mirror
20x or a Nova 30.   Both use some kind of external SCSI adapter.  No
one on the net was too helpful as to why...    I just spent lots of
time and buckage finding it out.

Seymour

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/14/90)

In article <Feb.12.18.27.00.1990.6532@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>Despite many attempts, I have never been able to get  an Adaptec or
>other "adapted" SCSI drives to work on the IIGS.   I had no problem
>with true imbedded SCSI drives.   I was unable to interface a Mirror
>20x or a Nova 30.   Both use some kind of external SCSI adapter.  No
>one on the net was too helpful as to why...    I just spent lots of
>time and buckage finding it out.

Yes, I've noticed this also.  I haven't dug into the problem and found out the
cause (nor a solution) but perhaps it is due to the SCSI card.  Can DTS shed
any light on this?  Like so:

	Take a dataframe 30 meg; this uses an adaptec board. Works fine on
	the mac; using DM Mac I can format, interleave, etc.  (DM Mac is a
	generic scsi HD formatter)

	Take the same dataframe, attach it to the Apple SCSI card.  _Nothing_
	will recognize it as being a SCSI device.  It just sits there, a
	brick on a cord.

Sounds like a SCSI Card problem to me....

>Seymour

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.