[comp.sys.apple] IS FPE/

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (02/01/90)

This is a two-for-one question.

i) speaking of the innovative systems FPE, which someone was awhile ago,
does anyone know if the toolbox replacements that come with it speed up
integer math too, and, if so, does that help out any of the math that
QuickDraw does?  (how to squeeze every last drop ...)  Also, did I read
somewhere that there are incompatibilities between the FPE and other
cards (AE Transarp -- I hope not, that would almost make it all in vain;
AE PC Transporter?)  And, for a further bonus quesiton, does anybody
else make a math coprocessor card?  Approximately (on some useful scale)
how much do any of them speed things up?  (I saw a chart somewhere
recently, but can't remember where, with some comparisons.)

ii) I recently got (Applied) Ingenuity [they now appear to have dropped
the first part of their name] to send me a brochure on their current
products because I was interested in the VCR backup gadget.  The
brochure was not very helpful.  Anyone know the target price?  Is it
SCSI or a (yet another) internal card?  Does anyone else make a VCR
backup gadget (with GS software ...  that's the rub ...  there probably
are Mac SCSI ones around.)

'nuff for today

TMPLee@Dockmaster.ncsc.mil

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (02/02/90)

==========================
>ii) I recently got (Applied) Ingenuity [they now appear to have dropped
>the first part of their name] to send me a brochure on their current
>products because I was interested in the VCR backup gadget.  The
>brochure was not very helpful.  Anyone know the target price?  Is it
>SCSI or a (yet another) internal card?  Does anyone else make a VCR
>backup gadget (with GS software ...  that's the rub ...  there probably
>are Mac SCSI ones around.)

I think you might do well to put on hold any plans you might have to
obtain the AI tape backup card... I don't think it will be on the
market for the near future because of some problems the company has
undergone..

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (02/12/90)

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>> [He asked about AI's VCR tape backup card]
>I think you might do well to put on hold any plans you might have to
>obtain the AI tape backup card... I don't think it will be on the
>market for the near future because of some problems the company has
>undergone..

	Ok, I bite: What problems are they having? You kind of make it
sound like the company itself is having problems, but... So, is it a
technical thing (they can't figure out why X is doing Y), or is it a
financial thing (they can't finance such and such), or what?

	I was considering getting one of their units, but other considerations
have almost certainly removed the possibility - I'm planning on getting a
couple of the Syquest 40 (some odd) Mb removeable drives to go along with the
new machine that I'm getting, and I know that they work with the //gs (a
friend has one). However, it may be more economical (if not nearly as fast)
to get the //gs to do backups to my VCR for both machines (assuming it does
the backup at a block, not file, level), as opposed to spending ~$90 for each
backup cartridge. VHS tapes don't usually run $90 each...

	Assuming the folks at AI do a reasonable job with the card (they said
that it would be a card when I talked to them), has anyone had any real live
experience with VCR backups on other machines? Or have there been VCR
backups for the // before? It would seem that it's just a variation of the
standard tape backup, with a little bit of wierdness thrown in because the
VCR's of the world weren't designed to store (computer) data.

>    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/14/90)

In article <1107@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:
>bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) writes:
>>TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>>> [This guy asked about AI's VCR tape backup card]
>>[This guy says AI has problems]
>[This one asks about the problems?]
>
>	Assuming the folks at AI do a reasonable job with the card (they said
>that it would be a card when I talked to them), has anyone had any real live
>experience with VCR backups on other machines? Or have there been VCR
>backups for the // before? It would seem that it's just a variation of the
>standard tape backup, with a little bit of wierdness thrown in because the
>VCR's of the world weren't designed to store (computer) data.

I'm not aware of previous VCR backup systems, but they've been available
on the Alpha Micro systems for years.  In fact, AM markets a SCSI version
of this that you can use with a Mac.  You could use it on a GS, but you'd
have to write the software...

They work pretty good.  Slower than snot, but pretty good, especially if you
can't afford a 80meg tape backup system.

>                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.