[comp.sys.apple] Basic memory crash...

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/14/90)

The windows program I wrote tends to crash if a person attempts
to open a couple hundred windows simultaneously.  While this might
not seem like a big deal, I'd rather see everything bomb-proof.

So I pose this question:
I make a request for a given number of pages to getbufr (prodos 8)
if it says it can't give it to me I report the error,
otherwise I graciously accept the memory.  Could prodos be giving
me memory that is already being used for basic string/variable/program
space?

My other thought is that since I request pages for the screen image
data, but don't mark these pages used in the bitmap (since they're
only temporary) that they might be being overwritten by BASIC
or something.

Rational ideas welcome...

P.S.  It may be a few days before I read your replies, our mailer appears
to be down...

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/14/90)

In article <8228@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:
>[...]
>My other thought is that since I request pages for the screen image
>data, but don't mark these pages used in the bitmap (since they're
>only temporary) that they might be being overwritten by BASIC
>or something.

Marking pages used in the $BF-page bitmap is not necessary--it only
tells ProDOS not to read/write that memory; it won't affect how BASIC.SYSTEM
uses the memory.

Calling GETBUFR (BASIC.SYSTEM) will not give you pages that are being
used for Applesoft storage, although it will move existing Applesoft
strings down to make room.
--

 --David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
   Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

   My opinions are my own, not Apple's.