[comp.sys.apple] Apple Sells Rights To //

mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) (02/13/90)

I just thought of something...

WHAT IF... Apple offered to sell the rights to the Apple // computer
to.. oh say.. Applied Engineering.

Why sell, you might ask?

1)	Apple hasn't done jack $#!+ for the Apple // line.  (Flame off)

2)	Apple seems to be more Mac oriented than //, even though Apple
	STARTED with the // (they probably would've dropped it a long
	time ago except Apple felt they owed it something).

3)	Sculley doesn't care about anything having to do with the //
	(Take THAT, John).

Why Applied Engineering, you might ask?

1)	AE has a better warranty than Apple (5 YEARS vs. 90 DAYS)

2)	AE supports its products better (They still make shift-key
	modifications, 16K cards, and 80 column cards for the Apple //+ )

3)	AE makes its living on ONLY Apple // equipment (except the
	Datalink 2400, which goes on Macs and PC's too)

Just thinkin' out loud.....

Neil McNeight			|"Does anyone know where the love of God goes"
Class of 1991			|"When the waves turn the minutes to hours"
Choate Rosemary Hall		|	-Gordon Lightfoot
Wallingford, CT			|	'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald'
Real Home: Marine City, MI	|---------------------------------------------
Real Life: Still searching	| Even!if!I@knew.my.path,I!wouldn't.tell!YOU!

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/13/90)

In article <992@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:
>3)	AE makes its living on ONLY Apple // equipment (except the
>	Datalink 2400, which goes on Macs and PC's too)

Umm...I have a DataLink 2400 in my IIe, and I don't think it will work in a Mac
or Messy-DOS machine, unless those machines now take Apple II expansion
cards :-) .  The DataLink Express, however, will work with just about any
computer in existence.  I think that the DataLink Express's fax-modem option
will only work on the Apple II, though.

You do make many valid points regarding AE (such as warranties), but Apple's in
the middle of a shakeup.  Before we continue in the usual flame war that has
become a daily ritual with Apple, maybe we should give the folks in Cupertino
time to get their acts together and see if they've magically had a change of
heart.  Whaddya say?

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (02/13/90)

In article <1990Feb12.183522.1641@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) writes:

>In article <992@spock.UUCP> mustang@spock.UUCP (Neil McNeight) writes:
>>3)	AE makes its living on ONLY Apple // equipment (except the
>>	Datalink 2400, which goes on Macs and PC's too)

They do sell SIMM memory modules now (right?) too which are pretty much
a Mac product.

>You do make many valid points regarding AE (such as warranties), but Apple's in

As far as warranties go, although I do agree Apples, Sony's, <insert
standard 90-day warranty company>, suck major, I've been told that this
may be based on the fact (?) that electronic equipment is most likely to
fail in the first couple of months.  If it doesn't, then it'll probably
last forever (or at least a good subset thereof).  This doesn't mean the
connectors, and things won't break, but the actual circutry and
electronics won't.  Both my II+ and IIgs never had a problem in the
beginning, and they both are still running strong w/o any problems, even
despite the few layers of dust in the II+.  Or at least that's what I've
been told by some guy in physics/electronics I believe.

-k

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (02/13/90)

> 3)	Sculley doesn't care about anything having to do with the //
	(Take THAT, John).

Not quite, it is actually more Jean Louis Gasse's (sp?) fault that there has
been nothing much done with the Apple II, as he IS head of Apple Products.

Gary

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow          |
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                       | Pro-Freedom: (206)253-9389
 ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Vancouver, Wa
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com               |

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/14/90)

In article <1473@crash.cts.com> gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:

>> 3)	Sculley doesn't care about anything having to do with the //
>	(Take THAT, John).
>
>Not quite, it is actually more Jean Louis Gasse's (sp?) fault that there has
>been nothing much done with the Apple II, as he IS head of Apple Products.
>
>Gary

well, I believe, that if the boss doesn't care what his employee's doing,
then what's the difference of who actually did it? or who's fault was that?
--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (02/14/90)

> They do sell SIMM memory modules now (right?) too which are pretty much
> a Mac product.

Well, actually I.B.M.'s use SIMMs too, at least the new ones do.

Gary

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow          |
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                       | Pro-Freedom: (206)253-9389
 ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Vancouver, Wa
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com               |

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (02/14/90)

>In article <1473@crash.cts.com> gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:
>>
>>> 3)	Sculley doesn't care about anything having to do with the //
>>	(Take THAT, John).
>>
>>Not quite, it is actually more Jean Louis Gasse's (sp?) fault that there has
>>been nothing much done with the Apple II, as he IS head of Apple Products.
>>
>>Gary

>well, I believe, that if the boss doesn't care what his employee's doing,
>then what's the difference of who actually did it? or who's fault was that?

This is one of the reasons that Jean-Louis Gasse is resigning, because Sculley
has been blaming Gasses for not producing someting on the lower end of their
product line (what some financial forcasters believe is the key to Apples LONG
term profitability).  NOTE I said that this is just ONE of the reasons that
Gasse is resigning.