[comp.sys.apple] About Carpet Bag

wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/10/90)

Howdy folks.  Those of you with Carpet Bag 2.0 who have experienced
problems, relax.  A new version (2.2--don't ask about 2.1) is on its
way.  Hopefully, this will solve any problems and make it the useful
tool I intend it to be.

However, I want to make sure that I have straight what problems
people have had with it, and I'm also curious how many people use it,
so would people please respond to this post (if you haven't already
e-mailed to me) with problems you've observed, just so I can make sure
I've got it covered.

Also, I'm interested in how many people use the program and in what I
can do to improve it (suggestions are welcome).

thank you,
william gulstad

ps.  Don't worry about identifying yourself if you didn't pay the shareware
fee.  I don't own a gun and I don't own a laywer.

pps.  I know about the huge bug in removing NDAs (like, it crashes on the way
back to the finder).  I've got that covered.

out of here

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/13/90)

In article <113300273@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

Here's a possible workaround the InstallNDA problem under 5.0.2.   It appears
to work for me; maybe Dave or someone else at DTS will comment on its
cleanliness.  Without going into the details of loading the file or figuring
out which file to load...

	i = GetNumNDAs();
	for (;i;i--)
		DeleteMItem(i);
	CalcMenuSize(0,0,1);
	InstallNDA(whatever);
	FixAppleMenu(1);
	CalcMenuSize(0,0,1);

As I said, it seems to work for me.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (02/14/90)

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>Here's a possible workaround the InstallNDA problem under 5.0.2.   It appears
>to work for me; maybe Dave or someone else at DTS will comment on its
>cleanliness.  Without going into the details of loading the file or figuring
>out which file to load...

	Well, I definitely don't work for DTS, but...

>	i = GetNumNDAs();
>	for (;i;i--)
>		DeleteMItem(i);
>	CalcMenuSize(0,0,1);
>	InstallNDA(whatever);
>	FixAppleMenu(1);
>	CalcMenuSize(0,0,1);

	The FixAppleMenu(1) is seriously questionable - as has been
mentioned somewhere, the Apple menu may very well not have an ID of 1. I
didn't see any warning labels on the menu bar structure, so how's about
getting the ID by doing (both of these assume that the menu structures
are publicly defined and that GetSysBar is properly typed in the interface
file):

	menubar = GetSysBar();
	menu = (**menubar).menuList[0];
	id = (**menu).menuID;

	or, in more fun C:

	id = (**((**(GetSysBar())).menuList[0])).menuID;

	Still not great, but a bit less assumptive. It, however, does assume
that the NDAs were added to the first menu. Anyways, my version of the code:

	i = GetNumNDAs();
	InstallNDA(FindHandle(part of result rec from InitialLoad));
	/* Error handling here - not altogether necessary, but nice	*/
	for (i = GetNumNDAs();i;i--)
		DeleteMItem(i);
	id = (**((**(GetSysBar())).menuList[0])).menuID;
	FixAppleMenu(id);
	CalcMenuSize(0,0,id);

	It seemed that the first of the CalcMenuSize's was superfluous. I
may very well be wrong about that one, tho'.

	Anyways, all of this could still cause problems with applications that
do things legally, but a little bit wierd. For example, an application could
add something after the NDA's in the Apple menu. It would still be there,
but it'd be above the NDA's (guess that's not a good example. oh, well).

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu