[comp.sys.apple] NDA Bug reports

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/11/90)

A couple of desk accessory bug reports--

To the author of the NDA  'Inverter':  AppleWorks GS v1.1 (and possibly others)
	doesn't seem to like your NDA.  It inverts the screen properly, but
	then you can't do anything.  Cursor keys don't move the cursor, the
	slide boxes are totally inoperative (they never move), and certain
	operations in the Menus cause 'serious system error's requiring a
	system reboot.  I've only encountered problems in AWGS so far, which
	is particularly unfortunate since I've been *dying* for a way to turn
	the background of the AWGS window to black.

	Does anyone know how to turn the window background to black in AWGS?
	Or could the author of this nifty NDA find a patch?

To the author of the NDA  'Menu Bar'  (William Gulstad, I believe?):
	I'm not sure what version of this NDA I'm using (or if you're even
	still supporting it as a separate NDA), but this desk accessory
	consistently locks up the system when running a game called
	'Color Mind'.  Total lockup... reboot required.

Just thought you folks would like to know.  I'd really appreciate it if
these NDAs could be made to work, as I would like to use both....

System Configuration, if it matters:

* IIgs, ROM 01   w/ 1.25 Meg
* GS/OS 5.02
* Profile 5 meg, 1  Apple 3.5, 1  Disk II, 1  printer, 1  modem (IIgs ports)

-- rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/12/90)

Re:  'Menu Bar' NDA Error report...

the NDA calls itself  'Digital Black 1.2'.
It can be loaded up using CarpetBag 2.2 once inside the  Color.Mind  program,
but if the NDA is active when the program is actually launched it crashes.

If it is loaded at boot time, the system just freezes.
If it is loaded later by CB2.2 and then Color.Mind is launched, it crashes
   into the monitor.

-- rubio

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/13/90)

In article <15800065@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

	   Does anyone know how to turn the window background to black in AWGS?

Good luck.  The only way you'll be able to do this is by changing the color
table so that white is black (and presumably, black is white).  While the
color editor in AWGS doesn't support changing black or white (just RGBY), the
fact that you can change the colors means that if you find a way to change
the color table out from under AWGS, it should work fine.  In my opinion, it'll
look hideous, since the menu bar & menus will be inverted, the desktop will
be dark blue, the rulers will be that hideous dark "gold" (I've got a bettername for it, but it's not repeatable in a public forum), etc.
Sorry if you weren't interested in the technical aspect.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/13/90)

...for the time being, at least, I'm still using a GREEN (blecchh) monitor,
so I currently don't care how hideous the colors look.

Thus, I'd love to get Inverter to work under AWGS.  It's easier on the eyes
to look at smaller fonts with 'white on black' than with 'black on white'.

Anyone know who wrote this thing?  Or know why it messes up AWGS?

-- rubio

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (02/14/90)

In article <15800065@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>To the author of the NDA  'Inverter': AppleWorks GS v1.1 (and possibly others)
>doesn't seem to like your NDA.  It inverts the screen properly, but
>then you can't do anything. [Deleted symptoms]

	There is a known problem (not exactly a bug - more of a very minor
design flaw) with AppleWorks GS - NDA's that don't open a window cause AWgs
to flake. I don't know anything about the implementation of the the Inverter
NDA, but it sounds like one of those that doesn't need to open a window. I
also certainly can't speak for the coding of the NDA (not having even
downloaded it to my machine), so there may be other problems, or the NDA could
possibly be at fault entirely (unlikely, though, as you mentioned that the
symptoms only showed up in AWgs).

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu