[comp.sys.apple] ROM 1 upgrades

pa_rich@merrimack.edu (02/13/90)

Hi everyone, I just bought myself a spare GS for a song, but its only a ROM 1
machine, is apple offering the upgrade to version 2 still or am I stuck without
GSOS on this machine?

THANX in adavance

Antheos Master Assassin

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/14/90)

In article <18524.25d7d83d@merrimack.edu> pa_rich@merrimack.edu writes:
>Hi everyone, I just bought myself a spare GS for a song, but its only a ROM 1
>machine, is apple offering the upgrade to version 2 still or am I stuck without
>GSOS on this machine?

Where do I start.

There is no "ROM 2".  ROM version 01 is the most recent released for the
original IIGS.  There is a ROM 03 but since it involves a different
motherboard there is no upgrade offered for ROM 01 owners.  At the time
of your ROM 01 upgrade, your machine should also have had its VGC chip
replaced, if it were one of the older versions.  In any case, GS/OS runs
on all ROM versions, although you do need a fair amount of RAM for the
16-bit desktop environment to be really useful.  (1.25 MB total minimum
recommendation.)  So far as I know, Apple has never impose statutes of
limitation on Apple II upgrades, which usually are installed free by the
Apple dealer.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/15/90)

In article <12132@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>[...]  In any case, GS/OS runs
>on all ROM versions, although you do need a fair amount of RAM for the
>16-bit desktop environment to be really useful.

GS/OS runs on all ROM versions *except* the original ROM 0.  (You get the
message "GS/OS needs ROM version 01 or greater" if you try to boot it with
ROM 0.)

This is reasonable because the upgrade from ROM 0 to ROM 1 is free.  Also,
ROM 0 would need to have a larger amount of stuff replaced with RAM versions
& the engineers would have to maintain an additional version of the
Tool.Setup stuff.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.