[comp.sys.apple] LocalTalk Printing from Prodos 8

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (02/08/90)

Apple DTS Folks:

Under System disk 4 my prodos 8 applications seemed to be able to
print to my AppleTalk Imagewriter with no problems.  I would just boot
into GS/OS and then launch the ProDOS 8 application.   Since system
5.0 I have been having problems, and I was hoping someone from Apple
DTS could comment on the differences.

Under System 4 I could go to GS/OS, and then launch Ascii Express
MouseTalk.  The system would switch down to ProDOS 8, launch the
application and I could communicate and print to my AppleTalk
Imagewriter with no problems.  Under 5.0, everything works fine with
the regular Imagewriter driver chosen, but MouseTalk crashes wildly on
launch if either the AppleTalk Imagewriter or LaserWriter drivers are
chosen.  It seems, that somehow printing to AppleTalk printers has
changed between System 4 and 5.

I called USI about this problem months ago.  They had no networked
printers to test the problem with and were not ecouraging about a fix.
I have called back repeatedly since then, but I still own a program
that will run (but not print) when booted directly from ProDOS 8 and
will not run at all when launched from System 5 disk GS/OS

Despairing of ever seeing a fix from USI, I recently tried EasyLink
from Applied Engineering.  Unfortunately, it too fails to properly
print to an AppleTalk imagewriter when launched from GS/OS on System
Disk 5.02.  I spoke to the program author and he is looking into it.

I have more hope of a fix from AE than from USI but am wondering what
caused all this in the first place?  I had been using the AppleTalk
Imagewriter as my printer since I got my Apple IIGS and have only been
having problems with the newer versions of the operating system.
Comments?  Enlightenment?  Patches?  Help!

Seymour Joseph
joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (02/10/90)

In article <Feb.7.18.20.56.1990.1666@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

> Apple DTS Folks:

Seymour, just a hint, but in the future you might want to refrain from
addressing things directly at anyone from Apple IIDTS that might be here on
the net.  They log on and answer questions here on their own time... this
isn't an official avenue to send question to Developer Tech Support
(MCI Mail is more appropriate, so I guess the gateway AIIDTS@MCIMail.COM
would work.  Don't ask me if they can reply to you through that gateway...
Hmmm... I should send mail to myself and see).

I realize that it is tempting to address every technical question you can
think of to the DTS guys here on the net, but honest, there are other folks
who can answer your questions... :-)

> Seymour Joseph

andy

--

Yeah!

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/15/90)

In article <Feb.7.18.20.56.1990.1666@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
>[...]
>Under System disk 4 my prodos 8 applications seemed to be able to
>print to my AppleTalk Imagewriter with no problems.  I would just boot
>into GS/OS and then launch the ProDOS 8 application.   Since system
>5.0 I have been having problems [...]
>
>Seymour Joseph
>joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu

I don't know what's causing your problems, but printing to AppleTalk
ImageWriters is supposed to still work the same.  We tried it with
Point-To-Point, and it works fine.
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.