[comp.sys.apple] ProDOS HyperC

glaeske@plains.UUCP (Brian Glaeske) (02/02/90)

The ProDOS version is availible through anonymous FTP at my
Apple archive at "plains.NoDak.edu".

Use standard operating procedures to login.  It is in the
pub/appleII/nonGS/languages directory.

You need the files: hyperc.sdk and fp.sdk

Also, please excuse the mess of the archive, since I haven't had a chance to
get it organized to much yet.

Brian Glaeske
    UUCP:  ..!uunet!plains!glaeske       Apple II keeper at NDSU.
INTERNET:  glaeske@plains.NoDak.edu
  BITNET:  glaeske@plains.BITNET

lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) (02/03/90)

Someone posted having the ProDOS HyperC and source code...
Does anyone out there have the ability to put it on APPLE2-L or any of
the FTP sites out there for public consumption?  A public-domain C
compiler, even if it is 8-bit, would be handy to say the least.
It would also make a PD gs C compiler that much easier to write...

Also, could anyone out there get me info on programming the serial port
for interrupt-driven reads and writes? ie, what are the calls for
reading and writing to the serial port which don't access the firmware
so I don't have to screen out CRTL-A/CTRL-I, both of which I use
frequently...  I need it for my VT220 program, and haven't been able to
afford new reference books lately.  Also, some clue as to how to
correctly program the interrupt driver using the toolbox routines...
The GS Technical Reference is vague at best (not Apple's, the
independent one...), and I don't have the Firmware Reference or the
Hardware Reference.  Please, Help!?
--
Les Barstow      |RIT - A citadel of gleaming brick towering over a snowy swamp
SunSinger        |Money - That which pays the bills.  A dream never remembered.

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (Mike Jetzer) (02/03/90)

In article <3294@plains.UUCP> glaeske@plains.UUCP (Brian Glaeske) writes:
>The ProDOS version is availible through anonymous FTP at my
>Apple archive at "plains.NoDak.edu".

I've got access to two different machines, and neither of them have
this site in their /etc/hosts file.

What's NoDak's port number?

--
Mike Jetzer
"Hack first, ask questions later."

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/03/90)

Had anyone successfully downloaded and unpacked the ProDOS HyperC from
ftp site plains.nodak.edu?  I tried 2 times, but when unshrink the disk, I
got internal error #81. Yes, I used binary mode while transfering using FTP.
I used kermit and xmodem to download file.

Any one?

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Feb3.013555.3252@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:

   Had anyone successfully downloaded and unpacked the ProDOS HyperC from
   ftp site plains.nodak.edu?  I tried 2 times, but when unshrink the disk, I
   got internal error #81. Yes, I used binary mode while transfering using FTP.
   I used kermit and xmodem to download file.

Same problem here, on both the fp and hyperc disks..  the % packed
information looked incorrect, but otherwise, the archive header was
valid.

-Paul

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (02/03/90)

In article <1990Feb3.013555.3252@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
|Had anyone successfully downloaded and unpacked the ProDOS HyperC from
|ftp site plains.nodak.edu?  I tried 2 times, but when unshrink the disk, I
|got internal error #81. Yes, I used binary mode while transfering using FTP.
|I used kermit and xmodem to download file.
|
|Any one?

Same here. I used binary mode from the ftp site and tried xmodem, ymodem,
zmodem, and kermit.  None of them worked.  I also got the internal error #81.
I sent mail to the person that's address was given in the file hyperc.READ to
notify them of this problem.

	Laura

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/04/90)

In article <2084@ultb.isc.rit.edu> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) writes:
>Someone posted having the ProDOS HyperC and source code...
>Does anyone out there have the ability to put it on APPLE2-L or any of
>the FTP sites out there for public consumption?  A public-domain C
>compiler, even if it is 8-bit, would be handy to say the least.
>It would also make a PD gs C compiler that much easier to write...

Thanks to ggray here at wpi I have the HyperC language, and can upload
it to apple2-l and comp.binaries.appleII, but I don't have the
floating point library yet, not instructions on using hyperc...

Maybe I'll just upload what I have, It would save someone the
phone charges of downloading hyperc long distance.

Once again, it wasn't me that bit the bullet on the download
charges, you should thank ggray@wpi.wpi.edu

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

In article <PNAKADA.90Feb2202627@pnakada.oracle.com> pnakada@oracle.com (Paul Nakada) writes:

>Same problem here, on both the fp and hyperc disks..  the % packed
>information looked incorrect, but otherwise, the archive header was
>valid.
>
>-Paul

I'm pretty sure its the files at the site that are corrupted.  I have
a copy of the hyperc disk provided me by ggray, so I'll send you
the files in binscii form Paul...

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (02/04/90)

I couldn't get the files on plains.nodak.edu to unshrink properly, so
thanks to a friend of a friend with an account on pro-generic, I was
able to download them from there. As soon as someone can tell me that it's
perfectly legal, I'll send them to comp.binaries.apple2. I'm going to
change them to file archives instead of disk archives though to eliminate
the problems of disk archives (so you can unshrink both archives to your
hard drive or whatever).

WPW100@psuvm.psu.edu (Will Wong) (02/04/90)

I don't want to seem picky or anything, but is there any way to get
input from the keyboard?  scanf() and getchar() don't seem to be
there.  What is left?  I don't know what the equivalents of stdin
or stdout in Hyper C so I can't really try fscanf() either.

kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kent Andrew Dickey) (02/04/90)

Liao) writes:
>|Had anyone successfully downloaded and unpacked the ProDOS HyperC from
>|ftp site plains.nodak.edu?  I tried 2 times, but when unshrink the disk, I
>|got internal error #81. Yes, I used binary mode while transfering using FTP.
>|I used kermit and xmodem to download file.
>
>Same here. I used binary mode from the ftp site and tried xmodem, ymodem,
>zmodem, and kermit.  None of them worked.  I also got the internal error #81.
>I sent mail to the person that's address was given in the file hyperc.READ to
>notify them of this problem.
>
>	Laura

I sent the original uploader E-mail expaling what he did wrong, but he
has not replied yet...

What happened was he uploaded the binary file using some transfer
protocol that thought it was a text file--so all the returns in the file
($0D) become return-linefeed pairs ($0D $0A).  Needless to say, this has
sufficiently munged the files to make them unuseable.  (I wrote a
program to convert all $0D, $0A pairs into just $0D, but even the
converted copy won't unpack properly...)

The moral: BINSCII ANYTHING YOU PLACE ON THE NET!  Fine, it takes 33%
longer to upload and download, but then it's 99% more likely to work
(notice how often even a BINSCII file gets munged--binary files are 10
times more fragile...).  All it takes in one stupid EBCDIC computer to
munge a binary file.

The mini/mainframe world hasn't learned what 8-bit binary data is yet,
so please, BINSCII all binary files!

			Kent Dickey
kadickey@phoenix.Princeton.EDU

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/04/90)

In article <2084@ultb.isc.rit.edu> lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) writes:
>Someone posted having the ProDOS HyperC and source code...
>Does anyone out there have the ability to put it on APPLE2-L or any of
>the FTP sites out there for public consumption?  A public-domain C
>compiler, even if it is 8-bit, would be handy to say the least.
>It would also make a PD gs C compiler that much easier to write...

Well, it's already on most of the Apple II archives, considering that it
was sent across on comp.binaries.apple2 a year or so ago.
Look in usenet/comp.binaries.apple2/Lang on wuarachive.wustl.edu; grab the
README file in usenet/comp.binaries.apple2 for information on the archive.

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.

llp@psuhcx.psu.edu (Laura L. Pauley) (02/05/90)

In article <7626@wpi.wpi.edu> greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) writes:

|I'm pretty sure its the files at the site that are corrupted.  I have
|a copy of the hyperc disk provided me by ggray, so I'll send you
|the files in binscii form Paul...

Why not just post it to comp.binaries.apple2?

|---
|Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.        ... (Mankind) has already
|greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.          used its last chance.
|greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609               - Gen. MacArthur

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (02/05/90)

I thought that we decided the last this time came up that it wasnt leagal
to post commercial software even if the company IS out of business?
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (02/10/90)

You know me Larry, I'd never give out legal advice in a forum like this@@.
However I would note that this is an area (Distributing copyrighted software
of a corporation that has gone out of business) could be a sticky one. Just
because the publishing entity goes out of business does not (I think) end the
copyright. The copyright might revert to the original author or be distributed
as part of the winding up of the business.

@@ Insert standard disclaimer here. Yes I am an attorney but I really don't
know much about copyright law. I'd just suggest that anyone should take great
care in a situation like this.

One point for example is some of the early Apple II games written by Glen
Bredon reverted to him when the publisher went out of business. GLEN put at
least one of them in the Public Domain but that was his choice.

Dan

Daniel Roberts            Proline: danr@pro-tcc
50 East Mound Street      CI$:     71271,1437
Columbus OH 43215         INET:    danr@pro-tcc.cts.com
                          UUCP:    crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!danr

matthew@sunpix.East.Sun.COM ( Sun Visualization Products) (02/15/90)

In article <5363.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) writes:
}
}You know me Larry, I'd never give out legal advice in a forum like this@@.
}However I would note that this is an area (Distributing copyrighted software
}of a corporation that has gone out of business) could be a sticky one. Just
}because the publishing entity goes out of business does not (I think) end the
}copyright. The copyright might revert to the original author or be distributed
}as part of the winding up of the business.
}
}Dan
}

     Yes, I agree that this is a sticky situation.  But a year and a half of
on-again/off-again searching of the copyright holder of this software package
has turned up few leads, all of them ending with no copyright holder and a few
knowledgable people with no claim on the package.  You can be sure that if
the legal copyright holder of this package could be found, there are a number
of people on this net willing to give him/her earned business.  Are you willing
to pickup the torch and continue the search?

**Disclaimer:  Thou I did some of the searching, I was not involved in the
decision to distribute it.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"