[comp.sys.apple] Kermit problems

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET (02/01/89)

John Meyer <CCJOHN@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU> writes:

>....I downloaded them to an Apple 2e (enhanced). .....The compilation
>seemed to work fine, I went thru the questions it asked and set it up for
>a IIGS.  However, when I then rebooted Dos 3.3 and typed BRUN KERMIT384,
>the program started to load and then crashed out...

It sounds like you tried to run Kermit set up for the IIgs on your IIe.
The IIgs driver, that is installed during your setup, will not work
with a Super Serial card.  Did you try it on the IIgs?

ALBRO@NIEHS.BITNET

joker@dasys1.UUCP (Larry Moss) (08/22/89)

I know discussions of problems with Kermit385 have come up many times,
and my question may already have been answered.  Unfortunately it took
until now for me to come up with a way to download it.  (I ended up
borrowing a copy of Ascii Express and capturing the kermit files into
a buffer, then saving it to 6 different files that had to be put
together with a short BASIC program.  What a mess.)

I have:
	a Franklin Ace 100
	a super serial card
	a hayes compatible external modem

I installed kermit for the super serial card.  The program appears to
be working fine until I try to connect.  After typing CONNECT, the first
character I type causes a light to flash on the front of my modem, so I
know something is sent.  After that, the computer just seems to sit there
waiting for something.  Nothing I type has any effect, except escaping
back to kermit.

I know my card and modem work because I was able t download in the first
place with AE (which was also configureed for the SSC).The same copy I
downloaded was used on my friend's computer with a serial interface card.
It worked fine for him.

Anyone have any ideas?

-Larry

--
Larry Moss
UUCP: ..!cmcl2!{ccnysci,cucard,hombre}!dasys1!joker

>I installed kermit for the super serial card.  The program appears to
>be working fine until I try to connect.  After typing CONNECT, the first
>character I type causes a light to flash on the front of my modem, so I
>know something is sent.  After that, the computer just seems to sit there
>waiting for something.  Nothing I type has any effect, except escaping
>back to kermit.

Your symtoms are consistent with a SSC card which does NOT have the
interrupt switch enabled (SW2-6 ON).  That's the one microswitch on
the SSC that can't be enabled from software (turn off your Franklin,
pop the top, flip the switch, close, boot and I'll bet it works fine --
then use that Kermit to download a brand new copy of itself, just to
be sure the ghastly way you had to download the program didn't leave
you with a bad byte somewhere).

Murph Sewall                       Vaporware? ---> [Gary Larson returns 1/1/90]
Prof. of Marketing     Sewall@UConnVM.BITNET
Business School        sewall%uconnvm.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu         [INTERNET]
U of Connecticut       {psuvax1 or mcvax }!UCONNVM.BITNET!SEWALL     [UUCP]
           (203) 486-5246 [FAX] (203) 486-2489 [PHONE] 41 49N 72 15W [ICBM]

    The opposite of artificial intelligence is genuine stupidity!
-+- I don't speak for my employer, though I frequently wish that I could

csc238458283@EMUNIX.EMICH.EDU (THE DARK KNIGHT) (02/14/90)

I just got started on this list and I hope that someone out there
can help me with a problem.  I've owned an Apple IIe for many years now
and I recently bought a Datalink 1200 baud internal modem.  I also
goot a copy of the Kermit communication program. The only problem I've had
with the program so far is that whenever the screen scrolls the first
4 or 5 characters on the left side of the screen are sometimes omitted.
Does anyone know how to correct the problem? I would greatly
appreciate any suggestions.

                                Jeff Nanney
                                The Dark Knight
                                Eastern Michigan University

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/14/90)

In article <9002140313.AA21924@emunix.emich.edu> csc238458283@EMUNIX.EMICH.EDU (THE DARK KNIGHT) writes:
>goot a copy of the Kermit communication program. The only problem I've had
>with the program so far is that whenever the screen scrolls the first
>4 or 5 characters on the left side of the screen are sometimes omitted.

Sounds to me like you have an original IIe.  My machine (also original, though
that should change soon :-) ) does the same thing when I use Kermit.  However,
the modem firmware (I have a DataLink 2400) doesn't lose any characters.
Granted, it's only a dumb terminal (with ZMODEM if you call it under ProDOS),
but it works well enough for BBS use.

Here's a trick you might want to try if you don't have the $$$ available for an
enhancement kit:  just get the 65C02, without the ROMs.  65C02s are available
from several electronic supply companies for six or seven dollars.  I got mine
used from a friend for two dollars!  This doesn't fix your problem with Kermit,
but it will let you use ProTERM, which I think is a much better program.  It is
commercial (not freeware), but it does several terminal emulations instead of
just VT-100 and VT-52, and it handles several file transfer protocols,
including Kermit!  Best of all, though, you won't lose any characters.  You
also get a scrollback buffer and a built-in text editor, so you don't have to
mess with vi anymore.

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

On Tue, 13 Feb 90 22:13:21 EST you said:
>I just got started on this list and I hope that someone out there
>can help me with a problem.  I've owned an Apple IIe for many years now
>and I recently bought a Datalink 1200 baud internal modem.  I also
>goot a copy of the Kermit communication program. The only problem I've had
>with the program so far is that whenever the screen scrolls the first
>4 or 5 characters on the left side of the screen are sometimes omitted.
>Does anyone know how to correct the problem? I would greatly
>appreciate any suggestions.

Although I'm surprised no one has given you the answer yet, it might do
to read the APPLE.DOC file for Kermit rather than repeatedly asking the
same question.  Maybe the childish 'handle' is a problem (he said DARKly :-)

I think I mentioned before that you MUST use the SSC driver (and have
interrupts enabled on the Datalink).  If you got the Kermit disk the way
the files are distributed by Columbia, then EXEC the KER3xx.INSTALL file
(under DOS 3.3, transfer to ProDOS after you've created the new 'B' file)
and follow directions

You can tell what driver is installed from the Kermit-65> prompt with the
SHOW ALL command.

If you haven't the complete Kermit (with drivers for different serial ports
and the INSTALL file), then download APP386.1 and APP386.2 from KERMSRV.CUVMA
or (by ftp) from watsun.cc.columbia.edu

Get the APPLE.DOC file while your at it (written for those of us who don't
normally think in HEX).

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)