[comp.sys.apple] Postscript File generation on a GS

bard@wpi.wpi.edu (Tan Lee Peng) (02/04/90)

I am having trouble getting the GS to turn out Postscript files.
Is there a simple way to make the GS write a document as a
Postscript file ???? Please email replies .

Thanks

|-------------------|
|  bard@wpi.bitnet  |
|-------------------|

spinner@wpi.wpi.edu (Bevan Wang) (02/04/90)

In article <7618@wpi.wpi.edu> bard@wpi.wpi.edu (Tan Lee Peng) writes:

>I am having trouble getting the GS to turn out Postscript files.
>Is there a simple way to make the GS write a document as a
>Postscript file ???? Please email replies .
>
>Thanks
>
>|-------------------|
>|  bard@wpi.bitnet  |
>|-------------------|

	Here are the steps to creat a Postscript File.

	1.) Go to the Control Panel(NDA or CDA) and set slot 7 to AppleTalk.
		(For those who have Vulcans, move it, and don't pseduo
		 slot it to 7)

	2.) Use Apple's Installer and install the LaserWriter drivers.

	3.) Reboot

	4.) Go to the Control Panel (NDA) and click on the LaserWriter
	    icon.  It will open three windows: Select a LaserWriter,
	    AppleTalk Zones, and  User Name.  If you don't have a LaserWriter
	    the Select a LaserWriter will be empty, click on the empty
	    window(this will tell the computer that I still want to use a
	    LaserWriter).  If you do have a LaserWriter, click on it.
	    Ok the selections.

	5.) Now when you print under the "File" from the menu bar.  The
	    programme should give you a LaserWriter box.

	6.) Now, here is the crux, just before hitting the "Print" button
 	    hold down open-apple-F, and then hit the "Print" button at the
	    same time.  Continue holding OA-F until you get a dialog box that
	    says "creating a postscript file"

	7.) Fin.  This should work...  also I think it saves files under the
	    filename "PostScript.GS" and a suffix of a two digit number.

	Good Luck.

	Bevan Wang

 _________________________________________  _________________________________
|                                         ||                                 |
|       -        Bevan R.S. Wang          ||  Internet:  spinner@wpi.wpi.edu |
|      --=       WPI Box 3060             ||_________________________________|
|     ---==      100 Institute Road       ||                                 |
|    ----===     Worcester, Ma 01609      || "Nous avons tous assez de force |
|   -----====                             ||  pour supporter les maux d'     |
|  ------=====   Telephone: 508/792-5542  ||  autrui!"                       |
|_________________________________________||_________________________________|

roberth@microsoft.UUCP (Robert HESS) (02/14/90)

In Tan Lee Peng asks:

>I am having trouble getting the GS to turn out Postscript files.
>Is there a simple way to make the GS write a document as a
>Postscript file ???? Please email replies .

To which Bevan Wang replies:

> Here are the steps to creat a Postscript File.
>
> 1.) Go to the Control Panel(NDA or CDA) and set slot 7 to AppleTalk.
> (For those who have Vulcans, move it, and don't pseduo slot it to 7)

 [...rest of the process deleted for brevity...]

Ok, silly question:

  Why does AppleTalk have to be installed/enabled for the LaserWriter to
  'Print To File'? Maybe my situation is unique (I doubt it) but the
  reason I want to create a postscript file, is because I *don't* have
  AppleTalk running, and I *don't* have a LaserWriter to talk to even if
  it was. I want to create a postscript file so I can transfer it to my
  PC at work where I *do* have a PostScript printer.

For a long time, I couldn't try the (Apple-F) trick, because I didn't have
a hard drive, and couldn't get all the necessary files onto a 3.5 System
Disk. When I finally got a Hard Drive, I of course stuck it in slot 7,
since I would never need AppleTalk. But then when I went to try the (Apple-F)
trick, I realized I needed to move this elsewhere. Looking at the slot
assignments:

    1=Printer 2=Modem 3=Screen 4=Mouse 5=Disk 6=Disk 7=AppleTalk

I first tried 3, APW crashes. I then tried 1, MouseTalk crashes (?). I of
course need my mouse, I also use both 3.5 and 5.25 drives, so that really
doesn't leave me with anything else.

Is there any reason the LaserWriter driver can't be just another printer?
Why can't it be a 'direct-connect' printer? Or better yet, why can't
'PrintToFile' be the default if AppleTalk isn't connected, rather then
bringing up a "Can't Print Document" message box?

-Robert
     #####   ####### |	  Robert B. Hess, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA
    ######  #######  |-----------------------------------------------------
   ####### #######   |	roberth@microsof.uu.net
  #### ##### ####    |	{decvax, uunet, uw-beaver}!microsof!roberth
 ####  ###  ####     |_____________________________________________________
   "...my opinions are strictly my own, and not those of my employer..."

spinner@wpi.wpi.edu (Bevan Wang) (02/15/90)

In article <50010@microsoft.UUCP> roberth@microsoft.UUCP (Robert HESS) writes:
>Ok, silly question:
>
>  Why does AppleTalk have to be installed/enabled for the LaserWriter to
>  'Print To File'? Maybe my situation is unique (I doubt it) but the
>  reason I want to create a postscript file, is because I *don't* have
>  AppleTalk running, and I *don't* have a LaserWriter to talk to even if
>  it was. I want to create a postscript file so I can transfer it to my
>  PC at work where I *do* have a PostScript printer.

	Ok, first.... if I remember correctly.... if AppleTalk is not set,
	when selecting the printer in the NDA Control Panel, it will give
	you a dialog saying that AppleTalk need to be installed.  So you
	have to set it, in order to select the "LaserWriter."  I suppose
	after setting the LaserWriter, you can turn it off, but this could
	also create problems when going to print the document.

>    1=Printer 2=Modem 3=Screen 4=Mouse 5=Disk 6=Disk 7=AppleTalk
>
>I first tried 3, APW crashes. I then tried 1, MouseTalk crashes (?). I of
>course need my mouse, I also use both 3.5 and 5.25 drives, so that really
>doesn't leave me with anything else.

	Can't help here.... I put mine in slot 6, and I don't use... ack!
	5.25 drives.

>Is there any reason the LaserWriter driver can't be just another printer?
>Why can't it be a 'direct-connect' printer? Or better yet, why can't
>'PrintToFile' be the default if AppleTalk isn't connected, rather then
>bringing up a "Can't Print Document" message box?

	Umph!  Sorry can't answer such esoteric questions that Apple forgot
	to do.

	Bevan Wang

 _________________________________________ __________________________________
|                                         |                                  |
|       -        Bevan R.S. Wang          |  Internet:  spinner@wpi.wpi.edu  |
|      --=       WPI Box 1866             |__________________________________|
|     ---==      100 Institute Road       |                                  |
|    ----===     Worcester, Ma 01609      |  Nous avons tous assez de force  |
|   -----====                             |  pour supporter les maux         |
|  ------=====   Telephone: 508/792-5542  |  d'autrui!                       |
|_________________________________________|__________________________________|

	Virtual Realities has finally started shipping there VisonaryGS!

SOMCYC@NUSVM.BITNET (Chiang Yao Chye) (02/15/90)

To generate a PostScript file from a GS application, the following steps
are necessary.

1.  Make a copy of the LaserWriter driver file in the Drivers directory,
and rename it PostScript or something like that.

2.  Go to the Control Panel NDA, select PostScript as the printer.

3.  When at the Print dialog box, *immediately* after pressing return press
Open-Apple F.  You should see a message saying 'Generating PostScript file...'

In this way, there's no need to enable AppleTalk.