[comp.sys.apple] IIgs documentation

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/13/90)

In article <271@bucsb.UUCP> ghost@bucsb.UUCP (Jay Adelson) writes:

	   Now, my list of UNOBTAINABLE is as follows:

		   Apple IIGS Toolbox Reference, Volumes 1-3
		   GS/OS Reference (all volumes)
		   Apple IIGS Firmware Reference (all volumes)

	   Oddly, for the last five months or so, none of these titles
   have been available in the Boston area. (To my knowledge.)

	   The local computer stores do not carry them, and neither do
   book stores, or even computer specialty book stores.
	   I called APDA and asked them if they knew anything about it,
   and they didn't.

The Toolbox Reference, vol. 3 and GS/OS Reference, vols. 1 & 2 are only
available as beta drafts from APDA.  They have never been published by
Addison Wesley and never been available in book stores.  There is only one
volume of the Firmware Reference.  The availability of Addison-Wesley books
in Boston is surely one of supply & demand and, at any rate, has nothing to
do with APDA, who merely resell such books themselves.  The probable reason
for the widespread availability of the Hardware Reference is that a new edition
was recently released, updated to cover the ROM 03 machine.

If you want beta-draft references, you must order them from APDA.  If you want
Addison-Wesley finished products, you can try to find them at bookstores
(as you've been failing), special-order them through the bookstores (or from
AW??), or order them from APDA.

While 3rd party OS and Toolbox references may serve some purposes (such as
reorganizing information for the inexperienced developer, giving hints and
suggestions, etc), the official documentation from Apple is invaluable and
should supercede any other purchases (IMHO).

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (02/13/90)

wombat@claris.com said that  the books were never published by addison
Wesley and have never been available in book stores.

                          !!!!!!!!

What a lie!, I've seen the books at the Boston Uuniversity bookstore. Maybe
they were not published by AW, but, they were called "Apple IIgs toolbox
refrence manual vols 1,2". Two big books, don't tell me, I'm imagining
things.  They were being sold at Applefest Boston last year, and they were
being sold by Addison Wesley.

Maybe the books at the store were published by some other publisher, but I
somehow doubt that. Two books with the same title, and cover with different
publishers is illegal.

But it's true I haven't been able to find the books either.

Nagendra Mishr

rich@pro-exchange.cts.com (Rich Sims) (02/13/90)

> wombat@claris.com said that  the books were never published by addison
> Wesley and have never been available in book stores.
>
> What a lie!, I've seen the books at the Boston Uuniversity bookstore.

What he said was exactly correct, and you have =NOT= seen the books he
specifically mentioned in any bookstore.

Before you start accusing people of telling lies, perhaps you ought to read
what they say.  The volumes you mentioned have no relationship to the ones he
was talking about.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/13/90)

Here is what he said:
>>The Toolbox Reference, vol. 3 and GS/OS Reference, vols. 1 & 2 are only
>>available as beta drafts from APDA.  They have never been published by
>>Addison Wesley and never been available in book stores.  ...

-What a lie!, I've seen the books at the Boston Uuniversity bookstore. Maybe
-they were not published by AW, but, they were called "Apple IIgs toolbox
-refrence manual vols 1,2".

Apparently BU's entrance requirements are extremely low these days.

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (02/14/90)

In article <NAGENDRA.90Feb12200923@bucsf.bu.edu> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:
>wombat@claris.com said that  the books were never published by addison
>Wesley and have never been available in book stores.
>

>                          !!!!!!!!
>
>What a lie!, I've seen the books at the Boston Uuniversity bookstore. Maybe

Whoa folks! Get your facts straight before calling someone a liar!  What he
said was that Toolbox Reference vol. 3 isn't available from Addison Wesley.
It is a beta draft and no beta drafts are available from Addison-Wesley.

On the other hand all of the other manuals are available from them, as far as
I know.  I've got the Addison-Wesley Toolbox reference volume 1 and 2 that I
got off the shelf at a local B. Daltons bookstore (the big white books you
were referring to).  I got the beta draft of volume 3 from APDA.

The poor guy was trying to help and he gets called a liar!  Please don't
assume someone is lying when they post.  Give them the benefit of the doubt
and assume that they were in error or, as in this case, that you misunderstood
what they meant.

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/14/90)

Read more carefully.  That's *not* what I said.  I said:

> The Toolbox Reference, vol. 3 and GS/OS Reference, vols. 1 & 2 are only
> available as beta drafts from APDA.  They have never been published by
> Addison Wesley and never been available in book stores.  There is only one

Yes, the Toolbox Reference, vols. 1 & 2 were published by Addison-Wesley.
They are invaluable.  *Vol. 3 hasn't been*.  Neither have the GS/OS References.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

ghost@bucsf.BU.EDU (Jay Adelson) (02/14/90)

	Today I called both the APDA and Addison Wesley (thank you.)

	First, I have to become a member of the APDA ($20) and THEN I
can get the beta versions of the manuals unavailable from Addison Wesley.
These include GS/OS Reference and Apple IIGS ToolBox Reference Volume 3.

	I ordered the IIGS ToolBox Reference Volume 2 today, as well as
the Firmware Reference (MOST important to my needs) from AW.

	I think that if you put your mind to it (with a little direction
from helpful people) you'll find all the Apple II support you need.

	Thanks...

		Jay Adelson (ghost@bucsf.bu.edu)

P.S... I know I read the post right. ToolBox refs 1 and 2 have always been
available. (Ever since I can remember)

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (02/14/90)

In article <NAGENDRA.90Feb12200923@bucsf.bu.edu>, nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu
(nagendra mishr) says:

>wombat@claris.com said that  the books were never published by addison
>Wesley and have never been available in book stores.
>

>                          !!!!!!!!
>
>What a lie!, I've seen the books at the Boston Uuniversity bookstore. Maybe
>they were not published by AW, but, they were called "Apple IIgs toolbox
>refrence manual vols 1,2". Two big books, don't tell me, I'm imagining
>things.  They were being sold at Applefest Boston last year, and they were
>being sold by Addison Wesley.
>
>Maybe the books at the store were published by some other publisher, but I
>somehow doubt that. Two books with the same title, and cover with different
>publishers is illegal.
>
>But it's true I haven't been able to find the books either.

Interesting. Does that mean that these two books I have sitting on my desktop
are figments of my imagination? _Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference; Vol 1_ and
_Apple IIgs Toolbox Reference Vol 2_? Listed on the inside page:

Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc. Reading, Massachusetts  Menlo Park,
California  New York  Don MIlls, Ontario  Wokingham, England  Amsterdam  Bonn
Sydney  Singapore  Tokyo  Madrid  Bogota  Santiago  San Juan.

Pretty extensive travelling list for a figment, eh?

2nd Page: CopyRight (c) 1988 Apple Computer, Inc.

If you want the ISBN numbers they are 0-201-17746-3 forVol 1 and 0-201-17747-1
dor Vol 2.  Hope this helps out...

>Nagendra Mishr

                                                                ...Sal
<SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET>
<sab121@psuvm.psu.edu>

billy@pro-colony.cts.com (Billy Long) (02/15/90)

Toolbox References vols. 1 & 2 HAVE been published by Addison-Wesley. I know
this because I bought both of them at a local book store and I'm looking at
the works "Addison Wesley" right now!

              proline: billy@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!billy
              inet   : crash!billy@pro-colony.cts.com