[comp.sys.apple] Apple Access II

terry2@ihlpa.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article: <8701221123.aa07104@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> <599@eneevax.UUCP>
Tim McGraw writes:

>In article <8701221123.aa07104@SPARK.BRL.ARPA> ELORANTA@BRANDEIS.BITNET writes:
> >
> >         I don't see any reason to stay away from access //.
> >         It works fine VT100 even on 9600 baud!!!
> >         I haven't had ANY troubles with it!
> >         Jussi.
>
> I have to disagree. Apple Access // vt100 mode did things to emacs too
> gruesome to mention here. The vt100 mode doesn't send a control-h properly,
> either. The only way I can use emacs is in the vt52 mode.

  I have to disagree!!  I use Access II on my IIC to do work on the Mainframe
systems here at Bell Labs.  I use VT100 emulation and I have no problems using
VI and EMACS on screen editors (witness this posting).  Are you sure you were
using Access II V1.1??  Version 1.0 had many bugs (if you are a registered
owner, this update is free).  And oh yes, control-h works just fine for me...
did you forget to use the open-apple key (page 166 in the Users manual)?

>                                                            File transfers,
> however, are quite reliable. It would've been nice, though, if the manual
> informed the 'average' user that Christensen protocol and xmodem are the
> same thing.

Agreed.  I could find no mention of "xmodem" protocol in the Access II users
manual.  It does give a nice high level description of Ward Christensens'
transfer protocol (xmodem).

> Dcom is much better. I will become a registered user as soon as I can get
> it to dial (AT [number] doesn't work). Are you listening, J. Hayes?

Don't know about Dcom but my Access II will autodial (using Hayes AT commands)
and then I automatically log on, using a "command" file.  I also do this
when I access GEnie and several bulletin boards.  I believe Access IIs biggest
drawback is lack of a internal text editor.  Otherwise it works great and is
reasonably priced.

--
..ihnp4!ihlpa!terry2   ****   Terry Nelson   ****   "All this is
  GEnie Mail: Terry2   * AT&T Bell Laboratories *   because of me

Donnaruma@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (07/28/87)

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get access II to recognize my
Applemate 1200 internal modem in a IIe in slot 5 instead of slot 2.

Please respond on the net or to the following address:
                                 Tony Donnaruma
                                 Honeywell Inc.
                                 70 Wells Ave.
                                 Newton, Ma. 02159

plate@dicome.UUCP (Douglas B. Plate) (07/30/87)

)
)Please respond on the net or to the following address:
)                                 Tony Donnaruma
)                                 Honeywell Inc.
)                                 70 Wells Ave.
)                                 Newton, Ma. 02159

I am also interested in RELATED information, specifically: Can I get AccessII
to address my super serial card in slot 5.  I have a Passport MIDI card
that is most commonly addressed in slot 2 by default.  I wince everytime
I have to open the cover and handle the cards to swap slots.

		Doug Plate
--
Thu Jul 30 09:07:11 CDT 1987
%	Douglas B. Plate		P.O. Box 246

ART100@psuvm.psu.edu (Andy Tefft) (02/16/90)

I recently got ain in-the-box copy of Apple Access II as part of a
package deal, and I really have no use for it. Anyone have any ideas
on how much I could get for it (if I posted a for sale notice on usenet)?
Think $30 would be possible? (if anyone reading this has an interest,
fine, but I'm not officially selling it yet. There's some other stuff
I'll want to sell too).

--
Andy Tefft                              art100@psuvm.psu.edu