[comp.sys.apple] OctoRam

lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) (12/12/89)

Well, I cannot find the msg, but within the last week or so someone was asking
about MDIdeas and the OctoRam card for the IIgs.  I just called the folks this
evening.  (415) 573 0580 .  They are still in business and still selling the
cards.  A 0k card costs (according to the man this evening) $99.95 plus $3
shipping and handling.  A 1 meg card, with 1 meg SIMMs, costs $279 .
--
Larry W. Virden                 ProLine: pro-tcc!lvirden
674 Falls Place                 Work:   lvirden@cas.bitnet

rnf@shumv1.uucp (Rick Fincher) (12/13/89)

In article <3423.feeds.info-apple@pro-tcc> lvirden@pro-tcc.cts.com (Larry Virden) writes:
>Well, I cannot find the msg, but within the last week or so someone was asking
>about MDIdeas and the OctoRam card for the IIgs.  I just called the folks this
>evening.  (415) 573 0580 .  They are still in business and still selling the
>cards.  A 0k card costs (according to the man this evening) $99.95 plus $3
>shipping and handling.  A 1 meg card, with 1 meg SIMMs, costs $279 .

Great!  With 1 meg SIMMs running $78 you can add a meg for $180 or 2 for $260.
Anybody heard any Info on the DMA compatibility of this card?

Rick Fincher
rnf@shumv1.ncsu.edu

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (02/10/90)

  I'd like some info on the OctoRAM card.  I'm thinking of getting one
in the near future.  Does anyone out there have one?

  Is it DMA?
  I assume it uses 1 MB SIMMS.  What speed are they?
  Is it worth the dough?
  Who the heck makes the darn thing anyway?

		-Greg T,

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (02/11/90)

MIDIdeas Inc
115A Chess Dr.
Ste. H
Foster City, California 94404
415-573-0580

In resoponse to your question of who makes Octoram.
No idea of 'wheather it is DMA or not.

q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Joel Sumner) (02/17/90)

I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to my
RAM Quest.  Thanks.  For the benefit of anyone else in my
same situation, here is the basic info of what I gathered

From: nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr), Boston University

MIDIdeas Inc
From: rankins@multinomial.crd.ge.COM
                 {Engineering?}
I got the Applied^Ingenuity GSRAM+ board.  It takes 80-100ns 1MBx1
DRAM chips.  You can get a 0k board from Memory Plus Distributors for
$65.  You can get the chips from Carlson Computers (1-800-548-7073)
for approximately $75-$80 per MB.  Total cost for a 2MB board (that,
BTW, is DMA compatible, good to have if you can get it, max memory is
4MB) is around $215-$225.   Other places to try for chips is
Q-Tek - 818-407-0303 and Memory World - 215-741-6225.

From: joseph@elbereth.rutgers.EDU

I bought My octoram for just under $100 from CDA computer sales in New
Jersey.  They took a 256k Octoram from stock and removed the simm to
sell separately.  CDA advertises in A+ / Incider.

From: "heather@merlin.bcm.tmc.EDU"  "Heather Mayor"

I bought an Octoram with no chips on it directly from MDIdeas
(415) 573 0580.  I put all my leftover 256 SIMMS from updating
my Macs in it to give 2Meg on the card 2 and a 1/4 on the GS.
Works perfectly.  You can also fill it with 1Meg SIMMS for 8M!
Give them a call.

From: jason@madnix.ARPA

        The OctoRAM can have 4Mb on it without any problems with DMA, and
8Mb if you're not using any DMA. The card itself is nice, and the SIMMs
are certainly easy enough to install.

        I wasn't particularly thrilled with the ordering staff, etc., but
they did get it to me.

        (415)573-0580
        MDIdeas, Inc.
        110 Pacific Ave., No. 109
        San Francisco, CA 94111

From: rochester!ll-xn!ucsd!pro-europa.cts.com!rgaudet@wrath.cs.cornell.EDU

I bought a Octoram back in October directly from the MDIdeas.  It was  one
hundred bucks for a bare board.  You can use the board in 1,2,4 or 8 meg
configurations with 1 meg simms.  I'm using mine with 4 - 100 nanosecond low
profile simms and it works great.  One point of note is that the space between
slot 7 and the memory expansion slot is ever so slim.  I've placed a piece of
non-conductive mateerial between the Octoram and my SCSI card so they don't
short one another out when I pound my fists on the table.  Last address I have
for MDIdeas is :
                    110 Pacific Avenue #109
                     San Francisco, Ca 94111
                    (415) 573 -0580

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!rgaudet
Joel Sumner        | Bitnet: Q4KX@CORNELLA
GENIE: JOEL.SUMNER | Internet: q4kx@cornella.ccs.cornell.edu
-------------------| Here: q4kx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups.