[comp.sys.apple] CompuServe, The Source, mail

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/13/90)

Sorry, but I don't know where I should post this, but this newsgroup is the
one I read... so here the question goes.

Can I send mail to friend who has no access to the net but CompuServe and
The Source? and vise versa? (through net, of course)

Thanx for any help.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

On Tue, 13 Feb 90 01:23:51 GMT you said:
>Sorry, but I don't know where I should post this, but this newsgroup is the
>one I read... so here the question goes.

The correct place to ask such questions is: info-nets@Think.COM (a rather
LARGE list of network guru's who can tell you how to get mail to all sorts
of difficult to reach places -- the USSR, South Africa, UUCP ;-)

>Can I send mail to friend who has no access to the net but CompuServe and
>The Source? and vise versa? (through net, of course)

You probably already are aware that Compu$erve took over the Source and
folded it into Compu$erve.  You can send mail to a Compu$erve user by
replacing the comma in their userid with a period and adding @compuserve.com

i.e., xxxxx.yyy@compuserve.com

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (02/17/90)

In article <1990Feb13.012351.3650@eng.umd.edu>, cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
> Sorry, but I don't know where I should post this, but this newsgroup is the
> one I read... so here the question goes.

How dare you post a sensible, answerable question! In the future please
restrict your postings to more appropriate subjects such as whose computer
is better and whether Fords are better than Chevies.
Err, for those of you with your brightness control turned way down that
was a joke.

> Can I send mail to friend who has no access to the net but CompuServe and
> The Source? and vise versa? (through net, of course)
>
> Thanx for any help.

The following information is from an incredible book from O'Reilly @ Associates
called "!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail". I'd rather not quote from it too
often out of fairness to O'Reilly but consider this a plug. Honestly, "BUY THIS
BOOK". The book has sections on E-Mail addressing in general and over one
hundred two page entries for different networks. I didn't find a listing for
the Source yet but one option, which I subscribed to, provides updates every
six months or so. You can get the O'Reilly brochure containing several excellent
books on VI, Unix and c and Xwindows by calling 800-338-NUTS (for Nutshell
books, the series name) or in California call 800-533-NUTS.
Ok, you've sat through the ad so now to answer your question. Pages 64-65
give lots off details about reaching Compuserve from Internet including the
date that the gate went into affect, its physical location, equipment used
and proper syntax.
quote
"Users on CompuServe can be addressed using their CompuServe indentification
number as the user name, replacing the comma with a period, and adding
@compuserve.com as the domain. For example, user 71234.567 would receive
mail addressed to 71234.567@compuserve.com."
end quote.
There is also information about reaching Infoplex and Business service
customers.
To reach internet from Compuserve the syntax is
>internet:user@host.domain.

They even have a two page section on accessing FidoNet.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *