[comp.sys.apple] GS Wish List/Apple twoee compatiblity

mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) (02/02/90)

>  I think maybe we GS users and Apple should really consider
>weather or not we want to be strapped into the // c^%AQibility(sp?).
>I think it has hurt the GS a bit.
> [ Deleted some stuff ]
>
>The reason I think this way is because I think it hurt the GS
>from the start (compatibility (sp?)), and now we are supposed
>to get a new machine so, that will give us more support.

What truly hurt the Apple IIGS computer is:

1) the 65816 (at 2.8 Mhz) can't handle all the complex graphics.
   Heck, the 68000 at 7Mhz can't!! A 68030 Mac SE/30 seems to
   be a good minimum CPU system for handling such graphicly
   intense environments.

2) The GS resolution sucks. I've heard developers beg for 640x400
   since day one. Again, be sure to see item #1.

I would like to applaud the System 5.0 authors who have have
pushed some of the 65816 limits -- and I usually only complain!!

The IIGS is a great computer, but it would be really nice to see
some Text-based programs utilizing the POWER of the 65816. Imagine
what your CPU could do if it wasn't bogged down with doing graphics
all the time!!

ROSE 16 is a great example of how incredibly fast a text-based
65816 program CAN run. And it SCREAMS at 7Mhz!!

Mark Munz

billy@pro-colony.cts.com (Billy Long) (02/03/90)

I could EASILY do without compatibility with the rest of the // line. The only
8-bit program I use is AppleWorks, but I've almost completely switched to
AppleWorks GS now, so I don't use that much anymore. I am, however, using an
8-bit communications program right now! I have a 16-bit one, but the screen
updating is much too slow. If they're gonna drop // compatibility, they'd
better keep some kind of text screen or increase the speed dramatically!

              proline: billy@pro-colony
              uucp   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!billy
              inet   : crash!billy@pro-colony.cts.com
              arpa   : crash!pnet01!pro-colony!billy@nosc.mil
                  >>>   pro-colony  214/370-7056  24 hours   <<<

danr@pro-tcc.cts.com (Dan Roberts) (02/03/90)

Mark,

I am amazed at Folks (the person you addressed in the post I am responding
to. Who declare a machine such as the MAC SE "Pretty Useless" sinply because a
more impressive macine comes out. I still find my Apple //c (Completely
unenhanced out of the box machine) useful. In fact I find my old TRS-80 Model
100 useful. We should not be blinded by the flash. Did the older machine
suddenly stop running its software when the new one came out. BTW Most of the
computing I do is on an Apple IIGS (souped up) because it is much more useful
then the other machines that I have access to but that does not make the
others useless.

Dan

Daniel Roberts            Proline: danr@pro-tcc
50 East Mound Street      CI$:     71271,1437
Columbus OH 43215         INET:    danr@pro-tcc.cts.com
                          UUCP:    crash!pnet01!pro-tcc!danr

nicholaA@batman.moravian.EDU (Andy Nicholas) (02/04/90)

In article <15474.chatter.infoapple@pro-beagle>, mmunz@pro-beagle.cts.com (Mark Munz) writes:

> What truly hurt the Apple IIGS computer is:
>
> 1) the 65816 (at 2.8 Mhz) can't handle all the complex graphics.
>    Heck, the 68000 at 7Mhz can't!! A 68030 Mac SE/30 seems to
>    be a good minimum CPU system for handling such graphicly
>    intense environments.

That is just so much poppy-cock.

A 2.8 Mhz can handle the GS's current graphic capability just fine; the problem
lies within the environment which does all the drawing: QuickDraw II.  When
apple first wrote Quickdraw II, they didn't do the best job they could have
done (or we would have started with System 5.0, wouldn't we?).  If they
>had< done their very best, though, we probably wouldn't have had an operating
system for 3 years...

Also, it matters that many people write code which is just so much drivel and
usually very inefficient when doing graphics routines.  Many people/companies
like to write stuff with high level languages which are portable, but
on the IIGS this ends up meaning that your code will be slow.  If you invest
the time need to learn assembler on the IIGS, then the code which you write
is inherently worth less because it's not easily portable to anything other
than a 65xxx series machine.

> I would like to applaud the System 5.0 authors who have have
> pushed some of the 65816 limits -- and I usually only complain!!

System 5.0 doesn't push the 65816 to its limit.  hardly.  Look at any game
which scrolls a large section of screen around (like Alien Mind or Rastan)
and you'll see something which pushes the envelope.  The only program I
know of off the top of my head which -REALLY- pushes the machine right to
the edge is the opening screen to John's _Tomahawk/GS_.  I remember him
telling me that the opening screen is doing delta decompression (john's
own ace before ace was ace) while he is cycling all the pallettes to
show a 3200 color picture and updating the DOC.  He said he calulated that
he was using 97% of the total system cpu time.  I'm not sure if he was
using scan-loine interrupts or not in that one or if he was polling the
mega II video registers to check when to switch pallettes.

The spiel we got at this past may's applefest from the guys at apple was that
they just special-cased the routines which did the most-used object drawing
on the IIGS to speedup Quickdraw II.  Things like _PaintRect were made much
faster while routines like _PPToPort were left for future system disks to
improve.  Try moving a window around sometime.  The background screen
redraw is the same speed as system 4.0... so there is much more work that
could be done to speedup quickdraw II on a standard 2.8 Mhz IIGS.

Another for-instance comes from Jim Mensch at this past Kansas City 'Fest:
Jim was standing around talking about Quickdraw II and how to increase its
speedup and he said that the routines (I can't quite remember) for drawing
rects were something like 10X faster than system 4.0, but that he had just
written some stuff to get them to go 14X faster.  So, yes, there is more
than can be done to speedup Quickdraw II.

Part of the problem that I forsee apple facing if they try to radically
speedup Quickdraw II is memory: if they special case a lot of quickdraw II's
routines the special-casing is going to eat up a lot of memory.  And, who
wants to buy a 2 meg machine just to run one application?  Sure, it might be
as fast as a Mac II graphics-wise, but it's hard to justify putting 2
meg in a machine for that purpose increasing the cost to the end-user.

andy

--

Yeah!

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (02/13/90)

In an article RXBROWN@UALR.BITNET ("MR.FANTASTIC") writes:

>  I think maybe we GS users and Apple should really consider weather or not
>we want to be strapped into the // compatibility(sp?). I think it has hurt
>the GS a bit. Because most software developers, it seemed like they said,
>"Well we have a // version and the GS user can run it." Note I did say a bit,
>I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THE LACK OF SUPPORT ISSUE, I have heard it before. The
>reason I think this way is because I think it hurt the GS from the start
>(compatibility (sp?)), and now we are supposed to get a new machine so, that
>will give us more support.

Those software developers must have been lazy if they didn't want to
take advantage of the extra capabilities of the GS in a newer release
of their software.  I don't think that you are going to motivate any
of these lazy companies by TAKING AWAY Apple ][ compatibility from the
GS.  In fact, I don't think that Apple could have done anything
different that would have actually FORCED these developers to write
for the GS if they didn't want to.

For a moment, consider that there were two possibilities for the GS at
it's introduction:

A brand new machine that is A) compatible with an 8 bit machine but
capable of running new 16 bit software, or B) not compatible with any
machine and only capable of running software that hasn't been
developed yet.

If Apple had chosen B), there wouldn't have been ANY GS development,
because nobody would invest in (i.e. purchase) a machine that ran no
software.  I certainly wouldn't purchase a machine that only had a few
programs available for it (at the time of introduction), and if no one
else bought the machine, then there wouldn't be any kind of market to
interest software developers at all.

Do you remember how long it took the 1984 Mac to catch up to (and
eventually pass, sigh) the amount of software available for the ][?
Totally new platforms take a significant amount of time (and promotion
from the company) to take off.

It took Apple a long time to get GS/OS out.  And before that, all the
GS Operating Systems were 16 bit extensions of 8 bit ProDOS.  I don't
think the GS would have ever made it without the 8 bit compatibility.

>  I am not saying drop the //, I love it, I still have my //c, eventhough I
>don't use it much, but I think that the GS with its enhanced graphics and
>sound should not be made to run // software.

It's not like someone is forcing every GS to run // software.  It would
actually be more work now to REMOVE the compatibility.

>Robert Brown

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (02/17/90)

> >  I am not saying drop the //, I love it, I still have my //c, eventhough I
> >don't use it much, but I think that the GS with its enhanced graphics and
> >sound should not be made to run // software.
>
> It's not like someone is forcing every GS to run // software.  It would
> actually be more work now to REMOVE the compatibility.
>
> >Robert Brown
>
> Brian Willoughby

I agree. I think that there are actually two compatibility arguments going
on at the same time causing a great deal of confusion. GS authors would
probably do best if they wrote for the GS; period. On the other hand,
leaving the ability to run 8 bit apple software in the GS is just not
that difficult. Why not have the best of both worlds?

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *