[comp.sys.apple] Modem for Laser 128EX

diachun@acsu.buffalo.edu (justin d diachun) (02/14/90)

I own a Laser 128EX Apple compatible computer, and I want to buy a 2400 baud
modem for it.  The cheapest and most reliable external modems seem to be
for the IBM, so I was going to buy one, but I will need an adaptor cable
to plug in to my built in serial port.  My question is, what kind of adaptor
cable will I need?  Where can I get one?  The serial port on my machine is
sort of round, and claims to be an "RS-232C" port.  Is this the same kind
as is used by an Apple //c?  Can I use an Apple //c to RS232 cable for this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Justin Diachun

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/16/90)

In article <17711@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> diachun@acsu.buffalo.edu (justin d diachun) writes:
>I own a Laser 128EX Apple compatible computer, and I want to buy a 2400 baud
>modem for it.  The cheapest and most reliable external modems seem to be
>for the IBM, so I was going to buy one, but I will need an adaptor cable
>to plug in to my built in serial port.  My question is, what kind of adaptor
>cable will I need?  Where can I get one?  The serial port on my machine is
>sort of round, and claims to be an "RS-232C" port.  Is this the same kind
>as is used by an Apple //c?  Can I use an Apple //c to RS232 cable for this?

Yes, this is the same kind of port as used on an apple IIc.  I think
I got my cable from Computer Friends for $25 a few years ago, but the one
I'm using now is about 25 feet long, so it runs from my desk, behind my
couch, and over to the phone unnoticed.

The parts for a cable can be bought at radio shack for $10, and
I could just send up the wiring diagram if you'll technically
inclined..
---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/16/90)

On my Laser 128, the serial port is a 5 pin thing, which, in my understanding,
and in my visual experience, appears on the IIc.

there is an 8 pin port on other appleII's, although i am not entirely sure
which of the other II's it is on.

was@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Bill Stubblebine) (02/17/90)

/ hp-lsd:comp.sys.apple / diachun@acsu.buffalo.edu (justin d diachun)

> I own a Laser 128EX Apple compatible computer, and I want to buy a 2400
> baud modem for it.  The cheapest and most reliable external modems seem
> to be for the IBM, so I was going to buy one, but I will need an adaptor
> cable to plug in to my built in serial port.

	Boy, now we've really arrived ...  "PC compatible" external
	modems.  Sheesh!

> My question is, what kind of adaptor cable will I need?  Where can I get
> one?  The serial port on my machine is sort of round, and claims to be
> an "RS-232C" port.  Is this the same kind as is used by an Apple //c?
> Can I use an Apple //c to RS232 cable for this?

	The "sort of round" connector is called a 5-pin DIN connector,
	the other end is a 25-pin male "D" type connector used on most
	external modems, even the PC-compatible ones.  (Can't help
	smiling.)  Either connector can be bought for ~ $1.50 at Radio
	Shack.  An entire cable, including a hank of 5 conductor wire
	should cost you less than $5.00 to build.

	The connections for the serial cable between a Laser 128 (or
	Apple //c) with a Hayes compatible (i.e., RS-232) modem are
	shown below.  Picture the DIN connector as a half circle
	looking either at the female (Laser back panel) connector, or
	looking at the wiring side of the male plug.

           5-pin DIN                       PIN-OUTS
           Connector               DIN   RS232   FUNCTION
           ---------               ---   -----   --------
                                    1  -  20     DTR (Data Terminal Ready)
         5           1              2  -   2     Transmit Data (from Laser)
           4       2                3  -   7     Ground
               3                    4  -   3     Receive Data (to Laser)
                                    5  -   6     DSR (Data Set Ready)

	Although I didn't need to for my Hayes 1200, you may find that
	you need to jumper pins pins 4-5 (RTS/CTS) on the 25 pin
	(modem) end to keep the modem happy.

> Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

	You're welcome.

> Justin Diachun

                                Bill Stubblebine
                                Hewlett-Packard Logic Systems Div.
                                8245 N. Union Blvd.
                                Colorado Springs, CO  80920
                                was@hp-lsd.hp.com  (Internet)
                                (719) 590-5568

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/17/90)

In article <15800074@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>On my Laser 128, the serial port is a 5 pin thing, which, in my understanding,
>and in my visual experience, appears on the IIc.

	Laser made it that way so they could claim that their LASER can grab
	just anything designed for Apple //c

>there is an 8 pin port on other appleII's, although i am not entirely sure
>which of the other II's it is on.

	The 8 pin ports are used on //gs and //c+. if you are interested, they
	are also used on the Macs.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |