[comp.sys.apple] Help with SCSI drive sharing

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (02/13/90)

I have a Maxtor XT-1140 drive which I plan on converting to SCSI with an
Adaptec 4000A card.

This drive needs to be shared between two systems, an Apple II+ and my
Apple IIgs at the -SAME TIME-.  Both computers will have their own partitions
and will leave the others alone.  It's a 140 meg drive, so there is plenty
of room for this.

CAN IT BE DONE?

I called Ohio Kache systems and they told me the Apple SCSI card will hang
the bus if I tried it.  I called AMR and they said their card was semi-
compatable and supports only 64 megs.  I don't even want to consider a CMS
'proprietary interface' card.

Is there a fix for the Apple REV C rom to fix the problem with drive sharing?

Is there some other approach I could take (one that doesn't involve AppleTalk
and a Mac) to share a SCSI or ST-506 drive on 2 computers?

Thanks in advance
Jeff

jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com   | IF YOU ARE ON .EDU, PLEASE USE THE ADDRESS BELOW:
jeffn@nuchat.uucp        |
...uunet!nuchat!jeffn    | jeffn%nuchat.uucp@uhvax1.uh.edu

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/13/90)

JeffN:  do you read your mail?

I would really like to buy your Sider!!!

mail me at:

rubio-1@uiuc.edu	-- or --	cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

If you can't reach me there, post or something!  Please!

-- rubio

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (02/15/90)

In article <15800071@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>JeffN:  do you read your mail?
>I would really like to buy your Sider!!!
>If you can't reach me there, post or something!  Please!

Yep, I do read my mail.  I have had some 50 messages to date on that Sider.
I have replied to all of them as far as I know (and yours twice) however
texbell (telelphone) has been an unreliable net connection in the past week.
I apologize if mail is taking a longer time to get through that it should.

Please -- No more offers on the Sider! (!!)

Also sold:  The 3.5 Drive and the Corvus equipment.

Still for Sale:  Apple II+
                 ProClock
                 Apple Super Serial
                  w/ GBBS Modem Cable
                 NEC Monitor

matthew@sunpix.East.Sun.COM ( Sun Visualization Products) (02/17/90)

}
}This drive needs to be shared between two systems, an Apple II+ and my
}Apple IIgs at the -SAME TIME-.  Both computers will have their own partitions
}and will leave the others alone.  It's a 140 meg drive, so there is plenty
}of room for this.
}
}CAN IT BE DONE?
}
}Thanks in advance
}Jeff
}

    Checkout Cirtech's SCSI card and SCSI network software.  The cards and
software are available thru A2-Central

*****
*  Here is the text of A2-Central's catalog
*****
**
** SCSI interface
**      CIRTECH's SCSI inteface card brings the world of SCSI hard disks to
** your Apple IIgs, IIe or II-plus.  SCSI stands for "Small Computer System
** Interface".  This is a standard, defined by the ANSI X3T9.2 specification,
** which devices such as the Seagate STxxxN family of hard drives adhere to.
**      CIRTECH's card comes with software that allows you to split SCSI
** hard disks for use with up to four operating systems--ProDOS (or GS/OS),
** DOS 3.3., Pascal 1.3, or Microsoft Softcard CP/M 2.20B or 2.23.
**      Unlike Apple's SCSI card, CIRTECH's card, with the addition of SCSI
** network software, can be used to share one or two hard disks among as many
** as six or seven computers (a maximum of eight devices total). Each computer
** has a private area on the disk.
**
** CT-SC    SCSI Interface Card      $139
**
**
** SCSI network software
**      CIRTECH's Multi-User SCSI software allows several computers to
** "share" up to two high-capacity storage devices.  This provides a cost-
** effective way to attach several computers to a hard disk.  Using a
** 64-megabyte Seagate ST277N hard disk assembly, for example, six computers
** could have "private" 10-megabyte hard disks for $200-250 per computer.
**      The software splits the hard disk up into "user partitions".  Only
** the computer that owns the partition can write to it.  Partitions can
** also be "read protected"  at the users option.  Operating system partitions
** can be created inside a user partition.
**      Each computer also has access to a "common" partition that can be used
** for read-only data and program storage.  You'll need a CIRTECH SCSI card
** for each computer and one network package.
**
** CT-NET    SCSI Network Software   $99
**
--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (02/18/90)

In article <1142@greens.East.Sun.COM> matthew@sunpix.East.Sun.COM ( Sun Visualization Products) writes:

>    Checkout Cirtech's SCSI card and SCSI network software.  The cards and
>software are available thru A2-Central
>
> [ lots of info removed ]

I am told that either the Cirtech card does not work with GS/OS or it does not
support more than 64 Megabytes.  Since I have more than twice that I consider
it a waste.  However if one machine could use the first 64 megs and another
use the second 64 megs that would be a workable alternative.

Does anyone have a Cirtech SCSI card?  Is there a phone number in the US?

Jeff
--
jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com  | After 3 days without programming life is meaningless.