[comp.sys.apple] useful trick, Quit problem

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (02/15/90)

As Emily said, never mind.  I forgot how long a hex character ws.  $80
ain't the same thing as $8000.  Although its interesting that putting
$80 in for the quit code gave that strange error -- I wonder what hidden
powers lie untapped?

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/18/90)

In article <900215073911.411852@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>As Emily said, never mind.  I forgot how long a hex character ws.  $80
>ain't the same thing as $8000.  Although its interesting that putting
>$80 in for the quit code gave that strange error -- I wonder what hidden
>powers lie untapped?

GQUIT was passing the flag value right along to UserShutDown, and the $0080
bit is -undefined- and reserved.  My guess (based on fuzzy memory of the
last time something similar came up) is GQUIT and/or UserShutDown were treating
your flag word as indicating that your program was -restartable from memory-,
and so chunks of your memory were being left around in important places,
like bank 0 (I bet you did your own QUIT call, denying the TML epilogue code
its chance to dispose of its stack space and the page it allocated to start
up SANE).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.