[comp.sys.apple] Sider drivers

In article <13127@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:

>Hmm, yes. I've traced the problem back to this sider (datamac) drive I've got.
>Apparently the driver that GS/OS generates has a problem or two, and it
>causes random freezes.  (Actually, not _quite_ random. I can reliably dupicate
>it now)

I'd be interested in details of this.  I have *never* seen a generated driver
freeze on a Sider.

>Does anyone out there have GS/OS drivers for the Sider drives?  I've got the
>Prodos chip from Advance Tech, but they didn't include any GS/OS drivers
>or nuthin'.

The Sider drivers from First Class Peripherals include drivers for the ATS
ROM chip, of which I have both.  Every now and then it causes a several-
second hang, which I determined to be that it's going out there to try to
read a second (daisy-chained) Sider, of which I don't have one.  Of.

Anyway, I changed the driver auxtype to reflect that it only supported one
device instead of two, and GS/OS no longer activated the DIB for the second
Sider of which I don't have one.  Of.  It works even better now.

>  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
>Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
>	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."