[comp.sys.apple] AppleShare stuff

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (02/14/90)

  Got a question or two about booting from an AppleShare server on a GS.
Here's what we've done to the server:

  We used the installer from System 5.0.2 to put the necesary files for
booting from the server.
  Then we used that same installer to make a Local server boot disk.
All of this went fine.  When I log on to the server, I get in, and after
the server and no way to get into the finder or any other GS/OS
application.  I know there must be a way, but I sure can't find it.

   Also, exactly what does the quick logoff init file do?

  Thanks in advance...

                -Greg T.

In article <kZq7Z5a00WB8EDhohj@andrew.cmu.edu> gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) writes:

>All of this went fine.  When I log on to the server, I get in, and after
>the server and no way to get into the finder or any other GS/OS
>application.  I know there must be a way, but I sure can't find it.

You're booting into the application set as your startup application by the
server administrator.  By default, this is BASIC.SYSTEM.  The administrator
can change this from the Apple II menu in the AppleShare Admin program.

>   Also, exactly what does the quick logoff init file do?

My memory is a bit vague on this, but something in the standard server or
workstation software that shipped with the Apple IIgs Workstation Software
package is written so that when you're (usually a student) is done with a
session, the computer reboots.  The QuickLogoff program changes this so that
it returns to the Logon screen, so you don't have to reboot to change users.

>                -Greg T.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."