[comp.sys.apple] finder follies

ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) (02/10/90)

Recently, I booted up the system off of the hard drive in slot7 and istead of
seeing the thermometer not fill up (because I have GSOS on a HD) I got a text
mode list of files, finally ending with a message 'pause mode active press
space to continue' or some such. I have just finished an 8-bit game in slot6
and reset the control panel. Is this an Easter Eg and is there some way to
consistently do this?

Also, I know what the prodos FST means, but what does character FST do? It was
one of the file listed. After hitting space it switched to SHR and I was back
in the familiarly finder finally.

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/11/90)

>Recently, I booted up the system off of the hard drive in slot7 and istead of
>seeing the thermometer not fill up (because I have GSOS on a HD) I got a text
>mode list of files, finally ending with a message 'pause mode active press
>space to continue' or some such. I have just finished an 8-bit game in slot6
>and reset the control panel. Is this an Easter Eg and is there some way to
>consistently do this?

As soon as you boot the drive with GS/OS, i.e. right after you hit the
[RETURN] key or let go of the [RESET] key, press any key.  When GS/OS starts
it puts up the SHR thermometer.  If, on the other hand, a key HAS been pressed,
it throws up the text display you saw, giving package names and version #s.

>Also, I know what the prodos FST means, but what does character FST do? It was
>one of the file listed. After hitting space it switched to SHR and I was back
>in the familiarly finder finally.

yes, just what exactly IS the character FST?

-- rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

farrier@Apple.COM (Cary Farrier) (02/12/90)

In article <10401.infoapple.net@pro-generic> ericmcg@pro-generic.cts.com (Eric Mcgillicuddy) writes:
>Recently, I booted up the system off of the hard drive in slot7 and istead of
>seeing the thermometer not fill up (because I have GSOS on a HD) I got a text
>mode list of files, finally ending with a message 'pause mode active press
>space to continue' or some such. I have just finished an 8-bit game in slot6
>and reset the control panel. Is this an Easter Eg and is there some way to
>consistently do this?

It's not really an easter egg, it's just a way to see the version numbers of
the various GS/OS segments being loaded.  You can get it to happen every time
by pressing the space bar when the system begins to boot off of your drive.

>Also, I know what the prodos FST means, but what does character FST do? It was
>one of the file listed. After hitting space it switched to SHR and I was back
>in the familiarly finder finally.

The character FST allows an application to access character devices (such as
a modem or the console) using the standard system calls (i.e. open, read,
write,flush, close, etc...).

--
+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Cary Farrier                          | Internet  : farrier@apple.com   |

jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) (02/13/90)

How many people know about the 5.0 easter egg with Expressload?  If you have
Expressload installed, hold down Command (Open Apple) and Option while you
are booting.  Underneath the thermometer you will see 'Expressload' appear
with some lines to show motion.

I've never seen anyone mention this before, but it's been in 5.0 from the
beginning.

Also, in the Finder, type Control-Apple-Option-Shift-2 sometime.  You can
accomplish the same thing by holding down option when you select "About..."
but you have to do it TWICE for some strange reason.

Jeff

jeffn@nuchat.sccsi.com   | IF YOU ARE ON .EDU, PLEASE USE THE ADDRESS BELOW:
jeffn@nuchat.uucp        |
...uunet!nuchat!jeffn    | jeffn%nuchat.uucp@uhvax1.uh.edu

henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) (02/13/90)

In addition to Jeff's two easter eggs, try clicking in the v1.0 box in the
control panel nda.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!henrym
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!henrym@nosc.mil
INET: henrym@pro-europa.cts.com
America Online:  Henrym9

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (02/14/90)

In article <19509@nuchat.UUCP> jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:

> How many people know about the 5.0 easter egg with Expressload?  If you have
> Expressload installed, hold down Command (Open Apple) and Option while you
> are booting.  Underneath the thermometer you will see 'Expressload' appear
> with some lines to show motion.

> I've never seen anyone mention this before, but it's been in 5.0 from the
> beginning.

Actually, in beta releases of the system, it was always there when you
booted.  I guess Apple made Rob take it out, or at least push it back to
Easter egg status.

> Also, in the Finder, type Control-Apple-Option-Shift-2 sometime.  You can
> accomplish the same thing by holding down option when you select "About..."
> but you have to do it TWICE for some strange reason.

Huh?  Try holding down both Option and Shift, and the menu choice will be
"About the System..." first time around.

Scott Lindsey     | I dig iguana in their outer space duds
Claris Corp.      |    saying, "Aren't you glad we only eat bugs?"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Schweisguth) (02/14/90)

In article <WOMBAT.90Feb13114056@claris.com>, Scott Lindsey says:
>In article <19509@nuchat.UUCP> jeffn@nuchat.UUCP (Jeff Noxon) writes:
>> How many people know about the 5.0 easter egg with Expressload?
[snip]
>>Also, in the Finder, type Control-Apple-Option-Shift-2 sometime.
[snip]
>Huh?  Try holding down both Option and Shift, and the menu choice will be
>"About the System..." first time around.
[snip]

Trivia, but I live for trivia ...

By golly, all those keys do work. In fact, control-apple-2 usually (always?)
selects the first choice in the Apple menu in _any_ S16 program, Finder
included ... control-apple-2-option-shift does the same thing as option-shift-
"About the Finder ..." by extenstion.

So does anyone know why control-apple-2 does what it does?

And while we're talking Easter-eggy Finder stuff, I noticed that the normal
"About ..." box isn't always the same. Try selecting it four times in a row.

Any more totally worthless but neat stuff like this? Gosh, I can spend hours
playing with "About the System ..." :-)
/                                                                             \
| Dave Schweisguth            Home: 814-862-0806    dcs100@psuvm.psu.edu      |
| 406 Althouse Laboratory     Work: 814-863-2791    America Online: Von Mordo |
| University Park, PA 16802   FAX:  814-865-2413    GEnie: D.SCHWEISGUT       |
\_____________________________________________________________________________/

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (02/14/90)

here's one you want to do before you shut off.
click on the filename of something as if to rename it,
then select view by date or something
the finder will stall for about a minute then crash

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/14/90)

In article <90044.184626DCS100@PSUVM.BITNET> DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Schweisguth) writes:
>Any more totally worthless but neat stuff like this?

Sure.  In Keef the Thief, cast the Nudus Bunsus spell when in the presence
of attractive women.  I've found two places where it works, so far...

sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) (02/15/90)

>The character FST allows an application to access character devices (such as
>a modem or the console) using the standard system calls (i.e. open, read,
>write,flush, close, etc...).

GS/OS has drivers for storage devices, and things in general that connect up
to the ports (modem, printer, midi). I am suprised that there isn't the same
facility for the ADB port.  What I'm trying to say is that programs allow ytou
to choose many things, but not input device.  Why isn't there a 'mouse'
driver, a 'joystick' driver, a 'keyboard' driver, etc.? The keyboard could
always be the default in case no other input devices were present. It just
seems that to be consistent, you have to consider the "I" in I/O as well as
just the "O".

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sb
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sb@nosc.mil
INET: sb@pro-generic.cts.com

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (02/16/90)

henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) writes:
>In addition to Jeff's two easter eggs, try clicking in the v1.0 box in the
>control panel nda.

	I dunno if I'd exactly call that an "easter egg" - it wasn't hidden
for some semi-clever or clever person to discover (as the "About System" item
in the Finder is). Given that the "Help" button gives help on the current
CDev, along with author info, etc., that's the only convenient place that I
saw to mention anything about the Control Panel NDA itself...

	Speaking of that dialog - does anyone know why it sort of "chunks" on
a non-TransWarped GS? The animation moves smoothly along, and then it stops
for a fraction of a second, and then it goes on. Why? It doesn't seem to do
in the same spot, and GetNextEvent() doesn't take _that_ long, does it? Perhaps
some PPToPort() oddity?

--
                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP
or, try:         astroatc!nicmad!madnix!jason@spool.cs.wisc.edu

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (02/18/90)

If you're talking about the planes passing along on the window, it stops
every time you move the mouse.  move the mouse verry fast and you can grind
the animation to a almost halt.

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (02/18/90)

In article <NAGENDRA.90Feb17123653@bucsf.bu.edu> nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) writes:
>If you're talking about the planes passing along on the window, it stops
>every time you move the mouse.  move the mouse verry fast and you can grind
>the animation to a almost halt.

	I think this is not a finder's fault.  This is caused by the hardware
	interrupting to the system when the mouse is moving.
	hope I am not wrong.

--
|I want Rocket Chip 10 MHz, Z-Ram Ultra II, UniDisk 3.5 | cyliao@wam.umd.edu  |
|I want my own NeXT, 50MHz 68040, 64Mb RAM, 660Mb SCSI, |    Chun Yao Liao    |

In article <1114@madnix.UUCP> jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) writes:

>	Speaking of that dialog - does anyone know why it sort of "chunks" on
>a non-TransWarped GS? The animation moves smoothly along, and then it stops
>for a fraction of a second, and then it goes on. Why? It doesn't seem to do
>in the same spot,and GetNextEvent() doesn't take _that_ long, does it? Perhaps
>some PPToPort() oddity?
>
>                      Jason Blochowiak - jason@madnix.UUCP

The Control Panel NDA is not pig-headed enough to lock out all interrupts and
possibly hurt the OS, the application and AppleTalk just to make the plane
animate more smoothly.

Fortunately.  :)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

jason@madnix.UUCP (Jason Blochowiak) (02/19/90)

DCS100@psuvm.psu.edu (Dave Schweisguth) writes:
> [Lotsa stuff deleted]
>By golly, all those keys do work. In fact, control-apple-2 usually (always?)
>selects the first choice in the Apple menu in _any_ S16 program, Finder
>included ... control-apple-2-option-shift does the same thing as option-shift-
>"About the Finder ..." by extenstion.
>So does anyone know why control-apple-2 does what it does?

	Not exactly, but I have a pretty good guess. The menu mgr stores the
key equivs (OpenApple-O = Open, for example) in the menu record when the
program is running. When the user hits a key, a bunch of stuff happens, and
eventually (under normal circumstances) a routine called MenuKey() gets
called. MenuKey() scans through the entire menu bar, looking for a match to
the key. Now, if a menu item doesn't have an equiv, what's it going to be
stored as in the menu record? A null byte (0). What character does Control-@
(same as Control-2 on the //gs) generate? A null byte. So, I would think that
the menu mgr would say "aha! there's a match". Of course, if the About box
has a key attached (say, OA-?), then OA-Ctl-@ would select the first NDA, or
whatever item was first in the menu bar that didn't have an equiv.

lmb7421@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Les Barstow: Phoenix) (02/19/90)

In article <10675.infoapple.net@pro-generic> sb@pro-generic.cts.com (Stephen Brown) writes:

> Why isn't there a 'mouse'
>driver, a 'joystick' driver, a 'keyboard' driver, etc.? The keyboard could
>always be the default in case no other input devices were present. It just
>seems that to be consistent, you have to consider the "I" in I/O as well as
>just the "O".

There is a keyboard driver - it's called the Console Driver, and covers
both keyboard input and monitor output.  It is very powerful, and much
faster than the TextTools toolset.

What would you read with a mouse driver?  3 bytes?  The current toolbox
interface for the mouse has a much more realistic way of dealing with
things...  Same goes for joystick and other devices like this...

Les Barstow
--
Les Barstow      |RIT - A citadel of gleaming brick towering over a snowy swamp
SunSinger        |Money - That which pays the bills.  A dream never remembered.