[comp.sys.apple] Trouble Using Finder to Copy

bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) (02/17/90)

I don't generally use the finder to copy files, however, I was
afraid some of the files on the isk I was copying to my hard disk
might have resource forks so I decided to use the finder. Here is
my problem:

1. Use oa-a to select all files in the source and then use the
   mouse to drag the whole kit-and-caboodle over to the
   destination screen where I click on the subdirectory of choice.
   Everything works wonderfully. No errors of any kind.

2. If I first open the desination subdirectory and then repeat all
   the steps from step 1 except I click on a blank space at the
   destination screen and all files are copied with one fatal
   difference: Running Mr. Fixit shows that all the copied files
   memory blocks are idle and subject to overwrite by subsequent
   uses of memory. (Which happened in one case where the finder
   data file was the culpert.)

Question, is this the way things are supposed to work or is my
finder corrupted in some way? (I posted earlier that my  one or
more of my cdevs had become corrupted and/or missing which caused
Sound Smith to blow up.)

--
				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
				IH 2A-227 (708) 979-9527

In article <13251@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:

>Question, is this the way things are supposed to work or is my
>finder corrupted in some way? (I posted earlier that my  one or
>more of my cdevs had become corrupted and/or missing which caused
>Sound Smith to blow up.)
>
>				Joe Walters att!ihlpf!bird
>				IH 2A-227 (708) 979-9527

Actually, it sounds more like the OS is corrupted.  Try reinstalling it.

(Your description of the problem in Finder, which I deleted above for no
readily apparent reason, doesn't make any sense to me because you don't
"click" in the destination to copy files.  You drag the files and release
them over the destination.)

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/20/90)

In article <13251@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> bird@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.l.walters) writes:

[I drag files from a floppy to a folder window in the Finder, and Mr.
FixIt shows that the files' blocks are marked "free" in the volume
bitmap]

Very strange--I go through the process you described quite a bit, and I've
never seen this happen.

Do you have any desk accessories that are opening files for read/write
access (not just Read) and leaving them open?  If so, the ProDOS FST
doesn't necessarily write out new bitmap blocks to disk until all the
read/write files are *closed*.

That means if a file is still open for writing and you force a reboot
with Apple-Ctrl-Reset (instead of shutting down nicely), you're in
trouble.

But the system software doesn't leave files open for writing (it keeps
Sys.Resources open read-only).
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.