[comp.sys.apple] GS/OS errors

dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) (02/19/90)

I'm wondering if anyone can point in the right direction here: ever
since I first turned on my GS, I've had it bop into the error window
only twice. The first time had unknown causes, but the second time
happened while I was rebuilding Z-Link. The first error was:

System Error 0
Please reboot. I hit return and it crashed again with:

GS/OS Error
	address $00A516
	code $02
	LC bank 0
(reboot)

Just the other day while I was recompiling everything:

GS/OS Error
	address $00DA3C
	Code $43
	LC bank 0

OK... any ideas?

--
Dave Whitney
dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu  ...!mit-eddie!sun-bear!dcw  dcw@athena.mit.edu

In article <1990Feb18.172221.10538@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:

>I'm wondering if anyone can point in the right direction here: ever
>since I first turned on my GS, I've had it bop into the error window
>only twice. The first time had unknown causes, but the second time
>happened while I was rebuilding Z-Link. The first error was:
>
>System Error 0
>Please reboot. I hit return and it crashed again with:
>
>GS/OS Error
>	address $00A516
>	code $02
>	LC bank 0
>(reboot)

The "GS/OS Error" window should only come up when some Apple-supplied component
of GS/OS (FST, Loader, or the OS kernel) determines that something really
incredibly catastrophic has happened and we can't safely proceed with
things.

This message above most normally means "totally out of memory".  It does show
up a little more often than that, though - GS/OS allocates memory to parse
pathnames in, with a current maximum of 8K per pathname.  If you pass a
Pascal string (length byte) to a GS/OS call that expects a GS/OS string (length
word), it normally starts with a slash and so GS/OS tries to allocate $2Fxx
bytes of memory with an 8K maximum.  This dialog then appears.  It's kind of
a warning to developers that they're doing something really wrong.  Other than
that instance, it should only appear when GS/OS needs to allocate memory for
a necessary operation and can't do it.

>Just the other day while I was recompiling everything:
>
>GS/OS Error
>	address $00DA3C
>	Code $43
>	LC bank 0
>
>OK... any ideas?
>
>Dave Whitney

I would guess here that the error (invalid reference number) was caused by
someone closing a file that the OS had open for it's own purposes (for a really
strange example, someone closing a directory while the OS was in the middle of
a GetDirEntry call).  This is pretty far-fetched, though, and can probably be
written off as a "fluke" unless it starts repeating.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/20/90)

In article <1990Feb18.172221.10538@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> dcw@sun-bear.lcs.mit.edu (David C. Whitney) writes:
>[...]
>GS/OS Error
>	address $00A516
>	code $02
>	LC bank 0

That one sounds familiar--I think that's the address that showed up when
you get bit by a 5.0 problem that occured in low-memory situations (when
GS/OS tried to free the memory being used by the cache).  If you're still
using 5.0, get 5.0.2!
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.