[comp.sys.apple] //c+; was //gs screen resolutions...

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (02/17/90)

In article <1990Feb13.234603.3388@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>, toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:

> refine the //c+ into the ideal education workstation

This is actually in reply to some of the other posts about the //c+ I have
seen lately. Mr. Whitesels post didn't sound like blind criticism but a
constructive suggestion, one which I agree with heartily.
I would like to see Apple ship the //c+ with at least 256k of memory but
other than that I have a hard time thinking of any way of improving on it.
Even with 128k it's a great Appleworks machine due to the built in 800k
drive. Our Users Group had members who bought the c+ and I've yet to hear
one complaint. Once people actually take a look at the machine they start
to appreciate it. I think the systems biggest drawback is the lack of
"push" it gets from dealers, etc. This is only sensible since why would
a dealer sell a complete "working" system for $600.00 when you can get
a couple of grand for one that's sure to have people coming back for more
add-ons and upgrades just to get it to work.

*   bob church  bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu                       *
*  If economics isn't an "exact" science why do computers crash    *
*  so much more often than the stock market?                       *
*                                          bc                      *

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/20/90)

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:

>I would like to see Apple ship the //c+ with at least 256k of memory but
>other than that I have a hard time thinking of any way of improving on it.
>Even with 128k it's a great Appleworks machine due to the built in 800k
>drive.

Well, if you have a lab of 30 of 'em, say, it'd be really nice if you could
boot them diskless from an AppleShare server and then run the eduware from
there as well, and the student's files could all stay on the server.

This eliminates a lot of floppy shuffling and would make an internal 3.5
pretty useless, though i'd leave the disk port in so that you can put an
Apple 3.5 on a few of the machines.

This would mean replacing the two ACIA's with an 8530, adding network
startup and print to the ROM, and leaving the internal drive out.

The machine would be even cheaper than it is now!

> Once people actually take a look at the machine they start
>to appreciate it. I think the systems biggest drawback is the lack of
>"push" it gets from dealers, etc.

I agree. One place near me has theirs hooked to a monochrome monitor, and
all it runs is Apple's demo software, which can't even do clean animation
because the guy who wrote it never heard of page flipping.

The keyboard even feels ok! :)

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu