[comp.sys.apple] Apple ][+

LYMAN@IASSNS.BITNET.UUCP (02/18/87)

Good news for upgradingers.  As Mark Twain might have said (in paraphrase)
reports of Videx's demise have been greatly exaggerated.  They still carry
both the Enhancer ][ and a lower case character generator chip.

The prices are:

$149.00 Enhancer
 $29.00 Lower Case chip (included in above)

Both available via mail order at least.

Glad to hear about the 65C02's compatibility.  By the way, since the chip
only addresses 64K what exectly does it mean when a program says it needs
128K?  If it is using the extra 64 as a ram-disk, won't it run (if slower)
on my ][+?

Lyman Hurd

Henry_Chiavaroli.WBST129UL@XEROX.COM (11/02/87)

I AM LOOKING AT EXPANDING MY PRESENT SYSTEMS MEMORY OR BUYING A NEW MACHINE.

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME INFORMATION ON ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING?

1] APPLIED ENGINEERING RAM FACTOR  AND/OR TRANSWARP BOARDS.

2]LASER 128EX COMPUTERS.

3]USING A MOUSE ON THE II+.  IS IT POSSIBLE?  IF SO, HOW?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INFORMATION.

HANK

halp@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU ("Bruce P. Halpern") (11/04/87)

1. Applied Engineering RamFactor and Transwarp.
         Both very good. May or may not require a new power supply, depending
upon exact state of yours. AE replacement power supply is good. Shop around
thru magazines, etc. for best prices, e.g., CDA Computer Sales (800-526-5313)
is offering Transwarp for $175 plus shipping (2%). See ad on page 162 of
November A +  .

2. Laser 128EX

Reviewed on pages 131-137 of December, 1987 A + (which is the correct citation
for #1, above, also). In general, strongly recommended for those who do not
need full features of ][e or ][gs.

Again, check for prices. Central Point's are often very good.

3. Mouse in ][+

The AppleMouse ][ can be installed in a ][, ][+, or ][e. You need the AppleMouse
][ card, which comes with a mouse. Once again, check prices.

****DISCLAMER: My comments, etc., are my own shakey opinions ********

  |  Bruce P. Halpern  Psychology & Neurobiology & Behavior Cornell Ithaca |
  |  ARPA: halp@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu                                     |
  |  BITNET: HALP@CRNLTHRY      D57J@CORNELLA      D57J@CRNLVAX5           |
  |  PHONE: 607-255-6433    Uris Hall, Cornell U., Ithaca, NY 14853-7601   |

michal@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/16/90)

 I salvaged an Apple ][+ that has not been used for 5 years. I plugged it
in, it works! So I got into thinking that I could upgrade it to something
more contemporary. I know very little about the Apple ][+
 Here is what the apple ][+ has:
  1. 48 k ram
  2. floppy disk controller + 1 disk drive
  3. Applesoft Basic in ROM + Autostart ROM (Revision 1 board)
  4. DOS 3.3

 So far, I have managed to figure that in order to make this apple a
terminal I must do the following:
  a. Get an 80 col card (suggestions ?)
  b. Modify shift key to include lower case letters (how to do this ?)
  c. Get a SuperSerial Card (suggestions ?)
  d. Get an external modem (2400 - which)
  e. Terminal software ( I heard Kermit will run under dos 3.3)
  f. Optionally, substitue d,e with an internal modem (?)

Is this the correct minimum for turning the above apple into a vt100 terminal?

Lastly, I would like to find out what is exectly 'ProDOS' (short of
being a better DOS, I guess) , is it a comercial product, what is the
most recent version of it, and what are the hardware requiraments for
running it. What are the benefits of having it ?

 Sorry if this is trivial, to me it is new.

--
Merlin [The Magician] (AKA Michal Chmielewski)
US Mail: Academic Computing Services, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA

cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Scott Alfter) (02/17/90)

In article <22245.25da947a@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> michal@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> Here is what the apple ][+ has:
>  1. 48 k ram
>  2. floppy disk controller + 1 disk drive
>  3. Applesoft Basic in ROM + Autostart ROM (Revision 1 board)
>  4. DOS 3.3

OK, looks like you're going to need a bit of stuff to get it going!

> So far, I have managed to figure that in order to make this apple a
>terminal I must do the following:
>  a. Get an 80 col card (suggestions ?)

Videx-compatible 80-column cards seem to be the most popular, but I never owned
a II Plus, so I couldn't say for sure.  I think the only company that makes
80-column cards for the II Plus anymore is Applied Engineering, with their
Viewmaster 80.  (Videx-compatible and everything-else-compatible, as is every-
thing from AE.)

>  b. Modify shift key to include lower case letters (how to do this ?)

Some companies sell shift-key modifications, but I have a magazine article from
1984 that tells how to do this modification yourself.  You say you have a
Revision 1 motherboard, so here goes:

1) Remove the cover from the computer.  Remove all cards from the slots.
   Remove the motherboard from the case.  Remove the bottom of the case from
   the rest of the case.  Turn the case/keyboard unit upside-down.
2) At this point, the keyboard's curcuit board should be visible, with a 40-
   pin encoder chip in the lower left corner of the board and the keyboard
   cable in the upper left.  Cut, strip, and solder a wire between pin 16 of
   the keyboard cable header (you'll see it as the upper-right corner of the
   header) and the leftmost contact of the three contacts on the SHIFT switch.
   (This switch is labeled number 53; the number is over the rightmost contact.
   Go over two more contacts and solder the wire to that terminal.
3) Reassemble the computer.

This is probably not the best description.  Again, I've never done this, so
don't come crying to me if you fry the motherboard.  If you're not completely
confident that you can handle this, buy one of the commercial modification
kits.

>  c. Get a SuperSerial Card (suggestions ?)
>  d. Get an external modem (2400 - which)

If the SSC is intended to be used with an external modem, I'd get an internal
modem instead.  The Applied Engineering DataLink 2400 has an SSC front end and
works like a Hayes Smartmodem 2400.

>  e. Terminal software ( I heard Kermit will run under dos 3.3)

Yes, it will, but you'll need ProDOS to get a copy at all (more later).

>  f. Optionally, substitue d,e with an internal modem (?)

As far as I'm concerned, internal modems are the only way to fly.  They fit
inside the computer and don't collect dust on the outside.  If you ever move,
all you'll have to do is disconnect the phone lines from the connectors on
the back.  An external modem is more hardware to pack up.  Besides, an internal
modem costs less than the equivalent serial-card/external-modem combination.

>Is this the correct minimum for turning the above apple into a vt100 terminal?

Add a 16K "language card" to the list.  These cards are still available from
several sources--hell, AE came out with a new design for this type of card,
the Pocket Rocket, just a couple of years ago!  (Their design uses only four
chips.)  You'll need the language card to run ProDOS.  A second 5.25" drive
(plenty of Disk II clones out there) and more memory beyond 64K would also
be nice.  The language card is an absolute must-have--no serious commercial
software will work with less than 64K anymore.

>Lastly, I would like to find out what is exectly 'ProDOS' (short of
>being a better DOS, I guess) , is it a comercial product, what is the
>most recent version of it, and what are the hardware requiraments for
>running it. What are the benefits of having it ?

ProDOS is, for all practical purposes, THE operating system for the Apple II
today.  It offers many advantages over DOS 3.3:  speed, a hierarchial file
structure, the ability to use 3.5" disks, hard disks, and RAMdisks, and other
features too numerous to mention.  The only software anymore that uses DOS
3.3 are copy-protected games that use modified versions of DOS 3.3.  You can
almost (but not quite) be guaranteed that ProDOS-based software will not be
copy-protected and can be moved to a hard disk at a later date.  ProDOS
requires 64K, so you'd better get a language card (but I already said that!).

Scott Alfter-------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet: cs122aw@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu    _/_ Apple IIe: the power to be your best!
          alfter@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu/ v \
          saa33413@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (    (              A keyboard--how quaint!
  Bitnet: free0066@uiucvmd.bitnet    \_^_/                     --M. Scott, STIV

kirk@pro-realm.cts.com (Kirk Kamberg) (02/18/90)

>As far as I'm concerned, internal modems are the only way to fly.  They fit
>inside the computer and don't collect dust on the outside.  If you ever move,
>all you'll have to do is disconnect the phone lines from the connectors on
>the back.  An external modem is more hardware to pack up.Besides, an internal
>modem costs less than the equivalent serial-card/external-modem combination.
>Scott Alfter-----------------------------------------------------------

I disagree with this. I would never buy an internal modem. Here are my
reasons:

1. It draws power from your computer's power supply. More strain = faster
   fail, and the II+ power supply was kinda weak anyway.
2. No indication of what is going on with the modem when you are using it.
   Sure, you can hear it connect, but having the indicator lights telling
   you exactly what it is doing is very useful.
3. This is the big one. Portability! I have one modem, and I can use it
   on my IIe, IIgs, and Amiga just by using a T-switch. If you buy an
   internal modem, you are stuck *forever* using it on the machine you
   bought it for. Pay the extra couple bucks for an external so you
   don't hate yourself later if you want to switch to a different computer.
4. If you use the super serial card + modem, you can also use the serial
   card later on if you want to drive an Imagewriter or other serial printer.

That's about it. Just my opinion...

Pro-Realm         | Proline: kirk@pro-realm
3/12/2400 baud    | BITNET: kirk%pro-realm.cts.com@nosc.mil
(914) 691-3863    | UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk
My opinions only! | ARPA: crash!pnet01!pro-realm!kirk

tomk@pro-grouch.cts.com (Tom Kelly) (02/20/90)

The shift key mod is just a wire from the keyboard encoder board to the game
port (IC socket).    Send me E-Mail and I will look up the exact connections.

UUCP: crash!pro-grouch!tomk
ARPA: crash!pro-grouch!tomk@nosc.mil