[comp.sys.apple] How Apple can save the //

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/20/90)

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) writes:

>of the roots of this company, and as long as there are developers developing
>for the Apple II there will be some kind of support from this group.

Don't you guys start saying that. Gassee did, but as an Apple spokesman it
isn't good enough and the hollow promise fooled no one.

Developers as a whole look to Apple for signs that the machine is worth
investing their time in. Only a few are specialized enough or popular enough to
develop full blast for the Apple // simply because they hold a solid portion
of the market (Applied Engineering for example).

In short, Apple either makes the machine worth buying (and the developers then
flock to the market), or it lets the machine slide slowly into oblivion.

Guess which Apple's been doing for the last few years.

There's a ray of hope, though -- with all the experience gained by Apple since
the //gs, it is very possible to produce a killer machine for an extremely low
price -- if the following design criteria are paramount:

	1. Design efficiently, to get more features for less cost. This rule is
violated right and left by the //gs, primarily because of the Mega //. The
Apple // is still the simplest system out there, and we should exploit that.

	2. Design for the future, to take advantage of high performance
features when they become affordable. This means support for true color, EPROM
disks, caching, SCSI coprocessing, DMA everywhere, and faster busses. Many of
these can be added now, as the real expense is in the memory chips, and NOT in
the custom logic that drives them. Let's think ahead this time and do it right.

	3. Design flexible features, which is easy in these days of custom
gate arrays. We've come a long way from when Woz had to use a bizarre
screen map as his refresh counter. It's about time we had a video system that
inherently supported genlock, arbitrary-sized monitors, and overlay, with
the optional electronics added via a dedicated connector.

I have on disk in my room a half finished post describing a hypothetical
computer, The Apple //f -- which is a real show stopper but needs some good
cost reduction analysis applied to it. Considering what Apple's done in the
past, they could probably do most of what I have in mind for real cheap --
but some serious R&D investment is required. And as I see it it's justified.

If Apple decides to resurrect the Apple //, it has the unique opportunity
to create a machine for the 90's around a very simple infrastructure.

I hope they do.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/20/90)

>I have on disk in my room a half finished post describing a hypothetical
>computer, The Apple //f -- which is a real show stopper but needs some good

the Apple //finally!

has a kinda nice ring to it.  Now if only it got built.......

-- rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)