[comp.sys.apple] SoundSmith Bug??? Where???

SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu (02/08/90)

In article <261@bucsb.UUCP>, ghost@bucsb.UUCP (Jay Adelson) says:
>   -Jay Adelson (ghost@bucsf.bu.edu)
>
>p.s...SoundSmith has a bug. Try going to "Graphic Play" mode.
>      It crashes the graphic screen..and sometimes even the whole system.

Where is this mythical bug? I have yet to see it and have demoed SoundSmith
for friends and even an entire users group. I have yet to have problems with
the Graphic Play mode. Post a few more details, please...
                                                            ...Sal

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/10/90)

In article <90039.095211SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>In article <261@bucsb.UUCP>, ghost@bucsb.UUCP (Jay Adelson) says:
>>
>>p.s...SoundSmith has a bug. Try going to "Graphic Play" mode.
>>      It crashes the graphic screen..and sometimes even the whole system.
>
>Where is this mythical bug? I have yet to see it and have demoed SoundSmith
>for friends and even an entire users group. I have yet to have problems with
>the Graphic Play mode. Post a few more details, please...

Well, I've gotten it to freeze up several times, always when playing
via "Graphic Play"  I've got a Rom3 Gs, with 3megs, Sonic Blaster in
whichever slot, SCSI card usually in 7, printer card sometimes in 1,
modem mosttimes hooked up via modem port...

Symptoms vary, depending upon molecule state.

a) Mouse dies.  Song finishes, but since the mouse is dead, no way to
   close window to quit or load another song in.  Can't get to Control
   Panel. Effective crash.

b) Song/mouse dies. Song stops when it has played everything in the buffer,
   then nothing else disturbs it.  Can't get to Control Panel.  Effective
   crash.

c) Crash into monitor. Hasn't happened more than once.  Crash.

Note that this is only when you use "Graphic Play," the system works just
fine if you leave that alone.  I imagine that there's a conflict with the
ROM3....also imagine that it's been fixed in ver .8....

--Chan  (can you tell I've been beta testing?  :)
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.

lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Patrick Lipo) (02/11/90)

In article <90039.095211SAB121@PSUVM.BITNET>, SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes...

>In article <261@bucsb.UUCP>, ghost@bucsb.UUCP (Jay Adelson) says:
>>   -Jay Adelson (ghost@bucsf.bu.edu)
>>
>>p.s...SoundSmith has a bug...

I downloaded SoundSmith from Husc6.harvard.edu and it Unpacked just
fine...  Unfortunately, when I try to run it from the finder, it spits
out that it could not open the tool set...Error $0110, I believe...
Any recommendations on configurations that will get it to work?  I got 5
files: SOUNDSMITH.SYS16, DOC.DATA, TITLE.SONG(or something like that),
SOUNDSMITH.PIC, and some other one I can't remember... Are there only 5
files?
    Too bad it doesn't work yet, it sounds like a great program...
Thanx,
+-.                 "We use only the finest baby frogs, dew picked and
! !            flown from Iraq, cleansed in finest quality spring water,
+-'            lightly killed, and then sealed in succulent Swiss
! at  (Spam?)  quintuple smooth treble cream milk chocolate envelope
               and lovingly frosted with glucose."
lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu  or  lipo@wiscmac3.BitNet

lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Patrick Lipo) (02/12/90)

In article <3155@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Patrick Lipo) writes...
>I downloaded SoundSmith from Husc6.harvard.edu and it unpacked just
>fine...  Unfortunately, when I try to run it from the finder, it spits
>out that it could not open the tool set...Error $0110, I believe...
>Any recommendations on configurations that will get it to work?  I got 5
>files: SOUNDSMITH.SYS16, DOC.DATA, TITLE.SONG(or something like that),
>SOUNDSMITH.PIC, and some other one I can't remember... Are there only 5
>files?
>    Too bad it doesn't work yet, it sounds like a great program...

Actually, before anyone tells me to copy it to RAMdisk, I tried that,
and instead of not getting the tools, it gives me another error ($0201?)
and gives me the option to rebbot, exec START, etc...  Do I have a bad
copy?

huang@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Howard Huang) (02/12/90)

>>I downloaded SoundSmith from Husc6.harvard.edu and it unpacked just
>>fine...  Unfortunately, when I try to run it from the finder, it spits
>>out that it could not open the tool set...Error $0110, I believe...
>
>Actually, before anyone tells me to copy it to RAMdisk, I tried that,
>and instead of not getting the tools, it gives me another error ($0201?)
>
>lipo@vms.macc.wisc.edu  or  lipo@wiscmac3.BitNet

Error $0201 is "out of memory"  You probably don't have enough memory for
both a RAM drive holding Soundsmith and 1.25 (?) megs for the program
itself.

You SHOULD have all the necessary SoundSmith files.  Do you have all
the tool sets on your system disk?  I don't know which ones Soundsmith
needs.  Or maybe it requires system 5.0...

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc4.harvard.edu
Sophomore Computer Science Major       Bitnet:    huang@husc4.BITNET
Mather House 426, Harvard College      UUCP:      huang@husc4.UUCP (I think)
Cambridge, MA 02138                    Apple II:  ftp husc6.harvard.edu

JLS139@psuvm.psu.edu (Abadon) (02/12/90)

  For all the people having problems getting SoundSmith to work:

 If your setup includes only 1 3.5" drive and 1.25Meg or less ram,
 you can do like I did and create a new start-up disk containing
 the SoundSmith files. To do this, make a copy of the system disk,
 remove the following files to make room: Basic.system and Basic.Launcher,
 P8, ( all files associated with the CDEV's and any other DA's),
 also remove all fonts using the Installer on system tools disk.
 Now copy all SoundSmith files to a folder on the root directory.
 Boot this disk, and when from the desk top open the SoundSmith
 application. ( Also as a precaution you might need to deallocate
 ram used for a Ram disk.) Good luck!
 .......jeff stine   <jls139@psuvm.psu.edu>

henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) (02/12/90)

Chan, I've got a Rom 3 machine, and I've had no trouble with soundsmith
whatsoever.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!henrym
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!henrym@nosc.mil
INET: henrym@pro-europa.cts.com
America Online  Dalamar11

nagendra@bucsf.bu.edu (nagendra mishr) (02/13/90)

actualy, I think you have to have to sound tool on the system disk. tool32
or something like that.

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/13/90)

In article <1451@crash.cts.com> henrym@pro-europa.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) writes:

>Chan, I've got a Rom 3 machine, and I've had no trouble with soundsmith
>whatsoever.

Hmm, yes.  I've traced the problem back to this sider (datamac) drive I've got.
Apparently the driver that GS/OS generates has a problem or two, and it
causes random freezes.  (Actually, not _quite_ random. I can reliably dupicate
it now)

Does anyone out there have GS/OS drivers for the Sider drives?  I've got the
Prodos chip from Advance Tech, but they didn't include any GS/OS drivers
or nuthin'.

--Chan  ("Here, let's use it as a doorstop."  "Can't, man.  Too many PCs in the
	  way..")
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.

drew@pro-houston.cts.com (Andrew Freeman) (02/13/90)

Yes, I have had the same problem on my soundsmith.  I believe that it is a Rom
3 associated problem.  Whenever you use the graphic play and hit a key to exit
it will put you in keyboard only mode.  After this accurs you cannot do
anything but edit the song.  I have tried this on other GS' and it seems to
work fine...

Andrew

   uucp: crash!pro-houston!drew          |"Trying to change its program       |
arpanet: crash!pro-houston!drew@nosc.mil | Trying to change its mode          |
   inet: drew@pro-houston.cts.com        | Crack the code. Images conflicting |
 bitnet: pro-houston.uucp!drew@psuvax1   | Into data overload..."             |

johnnys@pro-houston.cts.com (Johnny Suppatkul) (02/20/90)

I believe that you have a bad copy, I DL that and i got a lot of trash the
first time I played it (The junk in the bottom part of the screen), I think I
resolved it by recopying it, don't know what it actually did but it worked.
The Viper
(a.k.a Johnnys)
done