[comp.sys.apple] Lookin for an 800K drive.

wiles@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Dale Wiles) (02/16/90)

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and picking up a 800K, 3.5''
drive and I need some basic information. I know I could go and talk to
my local Apple rep. (read *DORK*) and have him try to sell me a
Macintosh, but I'd rather spend the time with you :-)

Apple will sell me a first drive for my //e (enhanced) for about $500.
With it I get a UniDisk 3.5, and Apple II Accessory Kit, and Catalyst
3.0.

First question: What's in the accessory kit? I can buy it alone for
$69. Is it worth it? (I think it has the controller card in it.)

Next: What is Catalyst 3.0 and why do I want it?

And lastly, where can I get any or all of this junk (or junk-a-like)
for a good price?

I await wisdom, knowledge, and some of the general merriment that is
unique to the Apple// group.

					Dale

Reply to: !{watmath,bolder,ruthers}!acsu.buffalo.edu!planck!wiles%hercules
*Emacs came, Dale, lad, Emacs came.               *(c) Marty Storer, Goog Inc.
*Disclaimer: I disclaim nothing! I am THE official*Looks more (bonk)
*opinion of my college, state, country and of all *like a sick-e-more (bonk)
*carbon based life forms in the universe.         *to me. Yogi the Space Bear.

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/17/90)

In article <17831@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> acsu.buffalo.edu!planck!wiles%hercules writes:

>I'm thinking about taking the plunge and picking up a 800K, 3.5''
>drive and I need some basic information...
>Apple will sell me a first drive for my //e (enhanced) for about $500.
>With it I get a UniDisk 3.5, and Apple II Accessory Kit, and Catalyst
>3.0.

I don't know what the accessory kit is all about, but $500 is more than
I'd pay for a 3.5 inch drive.

You didn't say if you have a IIe or IIc.  I have a laser 128ex, but
my last machine was a laser 128, one of the older ones, without
the 3.5 controller card built in.  I bought a 3.5 inch drive and
controller card from Laser for about $225 total.  They don't sell them
direct anymore, but they shouldn't be too much more expensive.

The drive is a standard mac compatible, but not quite as fast as the
Unidisk apparently.  The drive supposedly works just ducky on a
GS, but I don't imagine it would fare well with a Unidisk controller card.

The UDC/Laser drive pair does provide a much cheaper alternative to
the apple setup, if you don't have a IIc.  As I understand it, if
you have a IIc, you have to have the new roms, and can only use the
Unidisk drive.

I think Catalyst has something to do with transporting appleworks to
3.5 inch disks.

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (02/20/90)

Dale Wiles writes:

>Apple will sell me a first drive for my //e (enhanced) for about $500.
>With it I get a UniDisk 3.5, and Apple II Accessory Kit, and Catalyst
>3.0.

>First question: What's in the accessory kit? I can buy it alone for
>$69. Is it worth it? (I think it has the controller card in it.)

>Next: What is Catalyst 3.0 and why do I want it?

The accessory kit includes the controller card and a Systems Utility Disk.
You need a UniDisk controller card, so if you don't have one from somewhere
else, you will have to buy the accessory kit.

Catalyst 3.0 is an old and mostly obsolete desktop-style program launcher.  If
it comes free OK, but I wouldn't pay extra for it today.  (I did back when the
UniDisk 3.5 first came out in '85 or so, but only used Catalyst for a few
months).

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com