[comp.sys.apple] Any sign of release 6.0?

TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (02/16/90)

Is there any new word on release 6.0?  Or was it all real vaporware?
I'm about to break down and call APDA and buy the GSOS and Tools 3
volumes, but I'm in no hurry so would hate to spend the money and find
out a month from now that they have been superseded by what ever comes
out with 6.0

TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

On Thu, 15 Feb 90 23:13:00 EST you said:
>Is there any new word on release 6.0?  Or was it all real vaporware?
>I'm about to break down and call APDA and buy the GSOS and Tools 3
>volumes, but I'm in no hurry so would hate to spend the money and find
>out a month from now that they have been superseded by what ever comes
>out with 6.0

I've had reports about System 6.0 from several sources (including this
month's Scarlett -- the Big Red Computer Club newsletter).  It's for
real, but with the present turmoil in Apple's executive suite, probably
even our friends at DTS don't know when to expect an announcement (Apple may
well wish to put out other new goodies such as the new SCSI card) along
with System Disk 6.0.

The most recent thing I've heard is that there are MORE substantive changes
from 5.0 to 6.0 than there were from 4.0 to 5.0.  Improvements are said to
be truly impressive (actually the exact representation was somewhat more
colorful having to do with applying shoe leather to anatomical structure ;-)

/s Murph <Sewall%UConnVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu>         [Internet]
      or ...{psuvax1 or mcvax}!uconnvm.bitnet!sewall     [UUCP]
 + Standard disclaimer applies ("The opinions expressed are my own" etc.)

johnn@pro-sol.cts.com (John Nishinaga) (02/17/90)

I heard from Tony Gonzales that Apple was having a press conference yesterday.
He sayed it might of been on the new system disk 6.0 (Codenamed "Music Box."
It supposedly has some new music tools that were shown at the last KansasFest)
Anyway, from what I hear, the new tools should blow away even SoundSmith.

dlyons@Apple.COM (David A. Lyons) (02/18/90)

In article <900216041307.491047@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL> TMPLee@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL writes:
>Is there any new word on release 6.0?  Or was it all real vaporware?

There's no word, but I don't think it qualifies as "vaporware," since
Apple has never even claimed it exists.

I do believe it qualifies as *rumorware*, though.

>I'm about to break down and call APDA and buy the GSOS and Tools 3
>volumes, but I'm in no hurry so would hate to spend the money and find
>out a month from now that they have been superseded by what ever comes
>out with 6.0

Please note that the currently-shipping APDA draft of the GS/OS Reference
does not include new information about 5.0, although it does include 4.0
stuff.  (The OS changes from 3.2 to 4.0 are much greater than the changes
from 4.0 to 5.0, so it's certainly useful.)
--
David A. Lyons, Apple Computer, Inc.      |   DAL Systems
Apple II Developer Technical Support      |   P.O. Box 875

My opinions are my own, not Apple's.

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (02/20/90)

>Is there any new word on release 6.0?  Or was it all real vaporware?
>I'm about to break down and call APDA and buy the GSOS and Tools 3
>volumes, but I'm in no hurry so would hate to spend the money and find
>out a month from now that they have been superseded by what ever comes
>out with 6.0

>TMPLee@dockmaster.ncsc.mil

One thing that you should keep in mind is that every order for APDA for GS
related material reminds Apple that there is still interest in the GS!  So
spend a few bucks for the future.

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com