[comp.sys.apple] Fact for tat..

sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) (02/16/90)

I don't know what the following really means. But to those that have been on
the net for the past month it will make a bit of sense, make the picture look
a little clearer, and provide some fact to back up the rumors.

A brand new ROM3 //gs was recieved by a friend of mine who runs a small
dealership in Oakville, ON. When he recieved it, he opened it up to install
the TWGS, Sonic Blaster and SCSI card.. and he noticed something, well..
weird.

There is now a 28.63630Mhz crystal on the motherboard. I have a 28mhz crystal
on my TransWarp GS at home...

The ROM's are 28 pin ROM's.. yet they are in larger 32 pin sockets! It looks
rather weird if you ask me.

Make from it what you want...

---

I also had a look and listened to a Conner SCSI mechanism in action. Is it
really quiet.. and very very fast.. Impressed is an understatement.

Maybe I am still weird.

UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sysop
ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sysop@nosc.mil
INET: sysop@pro-generic.cts.com

In article <10757.infoapple.net@pro-generic> sysop@pro-generic.cts.com (Matthew Montano) writes:

>A brand new ROM3 //gs was recieved by a friend of mine who runs a small
>dealership in Oakville, ON. When he recieved it, he opened it up to install
>the TWGS, Sonic Blaster and SCSI card.. and he noticed something, well..
>weird.
>
>The ROM's are 28 pin ROM's.. yet they are in larger 32 pin sockets! It looks
>rather weird if you ask me.
>
>Make from it what you want...
>
>UUCP: crash!pro-generic!sysop
>ARPA: crash!pro-generic!sysop@nosc.mil
>INET: sysop@pro-generic.cts.com

As the first really big shipments of ROM 03 machines was about to come over
here on the Slow Boat, we discovered a bug in the ROM that caused it never,
ever to work with ROM disks.  Rather than put the world through an incredibly
annoying upgrade procedure which everyone would have wanted even though it was
only for ROM disks, we unpacked all the machines and replaced them with EPROMs
that had the bug fixed (as well as a QuickDraw bug that caused it not to work
with pixelmaps larger than 64K reliably).  The EPROMs just didn't happen to be
the same size as the sockets for the mask ROMs.  I don't know how that works,
not being a hardware dude, but all of the first shipment or so of ROM 03 GS
machines look like that.  Even mine at work.

Matt Deatherage, Apple Computer, Inc. | "The opinions represented here are
Developer Technical Support, Apple II |  not necessarily those of Apple
Group.  Personal mail only, please.   |  Computer, Inc.  Remember that."

henrym@pro-houston.cts.com (Henry Malmgren) (02/20/90)

>As the first really big shipments of ROM 3 machines was about to come over
>on the slow boat we discovered a bug in the Rom that let it never workwith
>rom disks..........The EPROMS just didn't happen to be the same size as the
sockets for the mask roms.

Hmmm, my rom 3 machine doesn't look anything like that.  There are two rom
sockets, and one is larger then the other.  Both have chips that are the same
size as the sockets.  Does that mean my machine slipped out without having the
bug fix on it?  I ordered my machine about 4 days after it was announced,
through the Apple Educator Buy program, so I would expect it was one of the
early ones.
UUCP: crash!pro-houston!henrym
ARPA: crash!pro-houston!henrym@nosc.mil
INET: henrym@pro-houston.cts.com