[comp.sys.apple] Warantees

S707503@UWEC.BITNET (MARK RINECK) (02/21/90)

I have generally taken into consideration some things about warantees:

The IC chips in a computer *will* probably go during a burn-in period
and can be fixed no problemo. That's the nature of IC chips...either they
work or they fail.

But what about the mechanical parts of the computer (power supply, hard/
floppy drive, keyboard) These things may or may not prove faulty in 90
days.  I have no doubts that Apple produces some pretty faultless equipment
but, if I pay so much money, shouldn't I be assured concretely by Apple
that *nothing will go wrong with the hardware* or they'll fix it? If the
equipment Apple ships *is* so good, I'd like to see Apple back up the claim
with a long enough waranty. Again, back to the discussion of waranty
length.

I agree, 90 days on chips, boards, etc. is plenty long enough to ensure
that I won't get stuck with faulty equipment.  But, in the area of other
hardware (especially hard drives), one year is really not too unreasonable.

Markie
S707503@UWEC.BITNET
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Mark Rineck

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (02/21/90)

S707503@UWEC.BITNET (MARK RINECK) writes:

>The IC chips in a computer *will* probably go during a burn-in period
>and can be fixed no problemo. That's the nature of IC chips...either they
>work or they fail.

Not always. I've had DRAMs go bad on me by getting flaky after the computer
warms up and slowly deteriorating until they don't work at all.

This was >5 years after the computer was purchased.

As I see it, if a one year warranty is not going to be invoked all that often
(as Apple seems to be claiming), then what's the problem with them giving it to
us?

The problem is that with a 90 day warranty Apple can actually rip you off, with
things like AppleCare and with the 1 year warranty they get on all their third
party hard drives. MacUser was pissed off recently by reports that Apple had
charged someone for a rebuilt drive, and then took the broken drive back to
Seagate and had it replaced under Seagate's 1 year warranty, thus allowing
Apple to pocket the money it charged for the rebuilt drive.

This is really bad if it is true. I have seen no confirmations but it seems to
me that there is really no acceptable reason to deny any Apple product a real
one year warranty.

COME ON APPLE. ONE YEAR WARRANTY. NOW.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu