[comp.sys.apple] RamKeeper without the keeper

SOMCYC@NUSVM.BITNET (Chiang Yao Chye) (02/15/90)

Is there a product in the market that allows two IIGS RAM cards to co-exist
in one machine, like the RamKeeper, but without the battery back-up function?
This is because as the programs are getting larger, and 1.25 MB is becoming
more and more cramped. Of course, one can buy a bigger RAM card (e.g.
GS-RAM Plus from Applied Engineering), but it would mean that the old
1 MB RAM card would be wasted.  In any case, old 1 MB RAM cards do not
fetch a high price second hand either.

So, if such a product is available, the 1 MB RAM card would not be wasted,
and there's no necessity to get another 1 MB for the new RAM card to get
2.25 MB when the old one can be used.

Any suggestions?

paul@pro-europa.cts.com (Paul Hutmacher) (02/16/90)

> Is there a product in the market that allows two IIGS RAM cards to co-exist
> in one machine, like the RamKeeper, but without the battery back-up function?

I read in my ramkeeper docs that you can use it without the battery backup
attached but haven't tried it.  I don't think this was the answer you were
looking for though.

Paul Hutmacher    | crash!pro-europa!paul     |  They were calling to each
P.O. Box 66046    | paul@pro-europa.cts.com   |other in the meter band, their
Houston, TX 77266 | 713/526-0714 3/12/24/9600 |radio voices faint but clear..

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/17/90)

I've been considering getting something that will let me put stuff in my
GS's ramdrive, turn the power off, wait a while, turn the power back on,
and have it still be there.

I believe the RamKeeper does this.  I also think AE had another card for
this purpose, but without the option of piggybacking another memory card
onto it without taking up a second slot.

I don't know much about either of these cards.  If someone could send me
a description of these and/or similar cards, I'd appreciate it.  I need:

 * name of card (obviously) and manufacturer
 * how much memory is on the card, if any (probably not)
 * does it battery back a Ramdisk
 * does it allow piggybacking a second card onto it
 * what ram card(s) it works with
 * how many slots will it, my current GS-Ram card, and any other
   piggybacked cards (if allowed) use up

-- rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)

samt@pro-europa.cts.com (Sam Theis) (02/20/90)

Chaing Yao Chye writes:

>Is there a product in the market that allows two IIGS RAM cards to co-exist
>in one machine, like the RamKeeper, but without the battery back-up function?
>This is because as the programs are getting larger, and 1.25 MB is becoming
>more and more cramped. Of course, one can buy a bigger RAM card (e.g.
>GS-RAM Plus from Applied Engineering), but it would mean that the old
>1 MB RAM card would be wasted.  In any case, old 1 MB RAM cards do not
>fetch a high price second hand either.

>So, if such a product is available, the 1 MB RAM card would not be wasted,
>and there's no necessity to get another 1 MB for the new RAM card to get
>2.25 MB when the old one can be used.

>Any suggestions?

Have you priced memory for a "bigger RAM card" lately?  1 MB sells for
approximately $80 or less.  So that is what keeping your current memory card
is worth.  If you need more than 1.25 MB and 1.75 MB offered by a GS-RAM won't
be enough, then do yourself a BIG favor and byte the bullet now and get a
memory card that uses the 1Mx1 chips like the GS-RAM Plus.  All you will be
doning is throwing good money after bad if you try to stick with 256k
technology.  2.25 MB will soon not be enough and then what will you do?

UUCP: crash!pro-europa!samt
ARPA: crash!pro-europa!samt@nosc.mil
INET: samt@pro-europa.cts.com

cs225af@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/21/90)

Rumor has it that the case for the new IIgs (Rom 04) is considerably smaller
than the current machine's case.

Does this mean that current expansion cards, memory cards in particular, will
no longer be able to fit the new case?

I'm considering getting a RamKeeper or something like it (see response #2),
but I'd like to hear from the rumor-mongers if my GS-Ram and a RamKeeper will
still work on the new machine, should I get one.

-- rubio  (rubio-1@uiuc.edu)