[comp.sys.apple] HR|DHR -> GIF Revisited

bar5834@cuphub.cup.edu (Pestilence) (02/13/90)

I asked this about a week or so back but didn't get any kind of a reply,
(not even a *shut the !@#$ up!*) so, I'll ask again:

Is there a program for the // (not gs) that'll convert hires and double-
hires pictures into .gif format?  I know we got one that'll read them,
but the only program I've seen that'll change into .gif is for the gs
(written by the guy that did the reader for the //+ec).
--
John Bartolotta (Bart)			|  My boss owns a pizza/beer shop so
...!pitt!cuphub!bar5834			|  I doubt he cares what I say on

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (02/17/90)

> Is there a program for the // (not gs) that'll convert hires and double-
> hires pictures into .gif format?  I know we got one that'll read them,
> but the only program I've seen that'll change into .gif is for the gs
> (written by the guy that did the reader for the //+ec).

To my knowlege there is no GIF converter for the //+ec that will save in a
Native Apple // graphics format, there is only the program that you refered to
that just lets you view GIF pictures.

Gary

    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow          |
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                       | Pro-Freedom: (206)253-9389
 ARPANet: crash!pnet01!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Vancouver, Wa
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com               |

johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz (John MacLean) (02/21/90)

>> Is there a program for the // (not gs) that'll convert hires and double-
>> hires pictures into .gif format?  I know we got one that'll read them,
>> but the only program I've seen that'll change into .gif is for the gs
>> (written by the guy that did the reader for the //+ec).

Reading GIF files is a simple process.
Writing GIF files is more complex: To do things fast and effeciently,
requires a table of 2^20 = 1 Meg of 12 bit values (make this 16 bit values
so things are word aligned).
I have 2 versions of my GIF writer in 65816:
One uses this full table and is *very fast*;
the other uses complex hashing scheme and uses < 64K of buffers.
I also have one or two 'C' versions of GIF writers (not written by me) that
I have collected.
There are 6502/65C02 compilers around, so this sort of thing could be done,
but I for one would not like to code a GIF writer in 6502/65C02 directly.

Regards, John MacLean.
--
This net: johnmac@fawlty.towers.oz.au			  Phone: +61 2 427 2999
That net: uunet!fawlty.towers.oz.au!johnmac		  Fax:   +61 2 427 7072

UN027265@WVNVAXA.WVNET.EDU (Eric Krichbaum) (02/22/90)

Try  IIGIF  I believe that it is on the listserv at  Brownvm
                                           Eric