[comp.sys.apple] MicroEMACS / UNIX editors

clobot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steven Leslie Roth) (02/17/90)

OK... Here's the question we've all been waiting for:
      Is there a MicroEMACS terminal prog/file editor for the Apple //e?
      Any other UNIX editors? (like vi)?

Is there any type of X_window available?

clobot (Steve Roth)     ... no .sig as of yet ...

delaneyg@wnre.aecl.ca (Grant Delaney) (02/17/90)

>OK... Here's the question we've all been waiting for:
>      Is there a MicroEMACS terminal prog/file editor for the Apple //e?

  We all like to see the older apples but the real problem again is
availability of appropriate Languages.  We've had a port of Micro-Emac for the
GS since shortly after C APW C became available for the GS.  While their is a
large installed base of //es realistly there is not likely to be any language
development in this area.  It would be next to impossible to do a direct port
into the 128K available and other obvious limitations.

>Is there any type of X_window available?

Well there is the GS and GS/OS while not Xwindows it's similar.  Then what
Apple other than the  MAC rund unix.

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/17/90)

In article <48af3b01.1a5bf@moth.engin.umich.edu> clobot@caen.UUCP (Steve Roth) writes:
>OK... Here's the question we've all been waiting for:
>      Is there a MicroEMACS terminal prog/file editor for the Apple //e?

I would love to see a good file editor for the IIe level, but I'm not about
to try making one.

>Is there any type of X_window available?

I don't think there are any tools that do graphics, but there are tools
that open up text windows.  In fact I'm in the middle of writing a
version 3.0 of Daemon that includes windowing along with its other little
goodies.  By release 4.0 the windows should be portable...

Since I chose this as an opportunity to plug the project I've worked on
since last summer, I may as well mention that I've added over 31 new
MAJOR routines to daemon, allowing 80-column window control, and mouse
control, invisible to an executing BASIC program.

The bug I'm fighting now concerns the way it crashes when more
that 25 windows are opened simultaneously... my project for tomorrow.

And even with all its new features, its fully compatible with older
versions of daemon, and routines that made use of the normal entry
vectors.  I don't think anyone else wrote tasks for Daemon,
but if they did, they should still work.  The source code for the
thing is over 25K long, the object code over 2K.  So far the only
version I'm working on is for the 6502, but I plan to make a
65c802 version for myself.

Its no longer relocatable, it got too big.

---
Michael J Pender Jr  Box 1942 c/o W.P.I.   W.O.S. is not dead.
greyelf@wpi.bitnet   100 Institute Rd.     ...its time to get started,
greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu  Worcester, Ma 01609   there is much to be done.
If my next computer isn't a IIgs, it won't be an apple... Me.

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (02/18/90)

In article <48af3b01.1a5bf@moth.engin.umich.edu> clobot@caen.UUCP (Steve Roth) writes:
>OK... Here's the question we've all been waiting for:
>      Is there a MicroEMACS terminal prog/file editor for the Apple //e?
>      Any other UNIX editors? (like vi)?

There's an emacs for the GS, don't know about the //e.

>Is there any type of X_window available?

Hmph. After I spent an afternoon playing with X windows on a Mac IIx, I
wouldn't _want_ to see X windows on a GS.  A IIx is running at 16mhz, and it
still was pretty slow.  Maybe on the IIxi (whoops, not out yet :^) running at
33 (or is it 40) mhz, or maybe even a 20mhz 65816 GS, but not at 2.8mhz.
'Course, if I was porting the X server over, I'd skip the C and code directly
in 65816... probably alot faster, given the status of 65816 C compilers.

>clobot (Steve Roth)     ... no .sig as of yet ...

--Chan
  Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.

gt0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory Ross Thompson) (02/19/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.apple: 18-Feb-90 Re: MicroEMACS / UNIX
> editors Chan Wilson@NISC.SRI.COM (1109)

> Hmph. After I spent an afternoon playing with X windows on a Mac IIx, I
> wouldn't _want_ to see X windows on a GS.  A IIx is running at 16mhz,
> and it
> still was pretty slow.  Maybe on the IIxi (whoops, not out yet :^)
> running at
> 33 (or is it 40) mhz, or maybe even a 20mhz 65816 GS, but not at 2.8mhz.
>
> 'Course, if I was porting the X server over, I'd skip the C and code
> directly
> in 65816... probably alot faster, given the status of 65816 C compilers.

  What do you mean abou the IIci?  It's been out for a few months now.
It runs at 25 mhz, not 33 or 40.  You can get the press release for it
off of apple.com's ftp site...  I admit, the GS would really stink
running X.  It's slow as sin on an IBM RT, and they'll blow away a
GS....  Oh well...

> --Chan
>   Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> radius!cwilson@apple.com
> Janitor/Architect of comp.binaries.apple2 archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu
> 	      I don't speak for SRI, someone else does.

		-Greg T.

In article <48af3b01.1a5bf@moth.engin.umich.edu> clobot@caen.UUCP (Steve Roth) writes:
>OK... Here's the question we've all been waiting for:
>      Is there a MicroEMACS terminal prog/file editor for the Apple //e?

Amacs, by Brian Fox. I have the manual, but I can't find an address for him.
| Alphalpha Software, Inc. | Voice/Fax: 617/646-7703 | Home: 617/641-3805     |
| 148 Scituate St.         | Smart fax, dial number. | BBS:  617/641-3722     |
| Arlington, MA 02174      | Dumb fax, dial number,  |                        |
| nazgul@alphalpha.com     | wait for ring, press 3. | BBS line is still dead |

6500gsv@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (George S. Vaughan) (02/21/90)

   (Steve Roth) writes:

   >OK... Here's the question we've all been waiting for:
   >      Is there a MicroEMACS terminal prog/file editor for the Apple //e?

   Amacs, by Brian Fox. I have the manual, but I can't find an address for him.

You must be kidding.  Doesn't *every* machine have bfox aliased to
something like bfox@prep.ai.mit.edu?

					George
--
George S. Vaughan 6500gsv@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu -or- gvaughan@hmcvax.bitnet

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (02/21/90)

In article <13351@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:

| In article <48af3b01.1a5bf@moth.engin.umich.edu>
| clobot@caen.UUCP (Steve Roth) writes:
| |
| | OK... Here's the question we've all been waiting for:
| |       Is there a MicroEMACS terminal prog/file editor for the Apple //e?
| |       Any other UNIX editors? (like vi)?
|
| There's an emacs for the GS, don't know about the //e.

For the IIgs I've seen something called "MicroEMACS" go by on
comp.binaries.apple2.  For the Apple II, there's something called
AMACS which seems to be pretty good, but I haven't heard much - and it
is proprietary too - $79 I think.

No vi source that I've seen - I sure wish there was.  Any new news on
an Apple II - or Apple IIc / IIe - vi implementation?

	david

--
!======= David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI =======!== The Stainless Steel Rat ==!
!  ArpaNet: madnix!rat@cs.wisc.edu              !                             !

greyelf@wpi.wpi.edu (Michael J Pender) (02/23/90)

In article <1134@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:

>For the IIgs I've seen something called "MicroEMACS" go by on
>comp.binaries.apple2.  For the Apple II, there's something called
>AMACS which seems to be pretty good, but I haven't heard much - and it
>is proprietary too - $79 I think.

I spoke to Brian Fox yesterday, he says he now sells amacs for $10,
which covers the cost of copying the manual.  $25 gets you
a copy of the source code too...