[comp.sys.apple] DeskJet Driver?

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu.ling.ucsd.edu (Jonah Stich) (02/23/90)

Okay, now I feel stupid. I know that DeskJet drivers were discussed a while ago,
but I didn't have one then. Yesterday, someone gave one to me (for FREE!) and
I would like to run it from my GS. All I remember from the earlier discussion
was that Bill Heineman had a plethora of GS printer drivers, including a
DeskJet driver. Is this true? Does anyone know how I can get in touch with
him? If it's not true, is there ANYWHERE else I could get a driver for this
awesome printer (other than by buying a FingerPrint GSi, which I seem to recall
has a DeskJet driver in ROM)? Thanks in advance.

Jonah

jonah@amos.ucsd.edu
stich@clarity.princeton.edu

lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) (02/23/90)

Bill Heineman works at Interplay in Anaheim, California; just look on the back
of Dragonwars, Battlechess GS or Neuromancer for the the address and phone
number.  However, be prepared to do battle with their receptionist.  He's hard
to get ahold of on the phone.

Bill wrote a driver for one of the HP printers, but I doubt you'll be able to
wrench it from him.  He's the guy for the job; but someone has to pay him for
his time.  Bill once told me he'd be rich if he would just spend the rest of
his life writing printer drivers..  (heh heh)

The Fingerprint GSi has a driver in their new ROMs for the HP Paintjet
printer.  Unfortunately, it looks like you can only use it for screen dumps
(perhaps I'm wrong; but that was how it looked to me).

I really would like to have a driver for the HP Deskjet Plus.  I even wrote a
letter.  I got a nice response back saying they were looking into it, but that
was about all.  You can buy a Deskjet now for $495 (they have a rebate offer
which makes the price as much as an Imagewriter II).  But without the driver,
it's not worth it.

Lynda

bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Bob Sherman) (02/24/90)

In article <17217.apple.net@pro-sol> lbotez@pro-sol.cts.com (Lynda Botez) writes:

stuff deleted-----

>The Fingerprint GSi has a driver in their new ROMs for the HP Paintjet
>printer.  Unfortunately, it looks like you can only use it for screen dumps
>(perhaps I'm wrong; but that was how it looked to me).

>Lynda

Your observation is correct (sorry to say).. The Fingerprint GSI card does
have the HP driver, but you can only use it when dumping something
through the card.. I have pleaded & begged with the powers that be at
Fingerprint by phone and over seafood (their weak spot) dinner, and they
will not consider going into the print driver business for that or any
other of their drivers. I too would fight to be first in line to buy
their driver and a Paintjet if they would only sell it..

--
    bsherman@mthvax.cs.miami.edu | bsherman@pro-exchange | MCI MAIL: BSHERMAN